[Another submission via Professor Ebringer]:

Mr.Brian Lundy (County Kerry, Ireland) writes:

Wednesday 21 September 2005:

Dear Professor Ebringer,

I am writing to thank you for your research and AS diet. After being diagnosed with AS approximately fifteen years ago and being pretty much in constant pain of varying degrees, I discovered your research and diet, only a couple of weeks ago by chance. Since being on the starch free diet with the aid of the book “The IBS Low Starch Diet” by Carol Sinclair, I have been pain free, for the first time in 15 years, apart from a couple of mistakes foodwise on the starch front. It is early days but I just wanted to thank you.

I have suffered quite badly over the last 2 years, with much increased pain levels and worsening physical restriction. I have always exercised and kept fit pre and post AS. But the pain was beginning to win and I was slowly giving up the fight. Your diet has given me new hope, and put the fight back in me, which I cannot thank you enough for.

My only regret is that this research and diet was not mentioned to me by any of my doctors or consultants over the years. I feel this information would have drastically altered my quality of life for the better. But regrets are pointless and I am just happy that I am still young enough to enjoy a renewed quality of life in the present.

I am sure you get many letters and e-mails of this nature and cannot reply to all of them. So please do not feel obliged to reply. I just wanted the opportunity to say “thank you”, although a simple “thank you” does not convey how much of a difference you have made to my life.

Kindest Regards, Brian Lundy (County Kerry, Ireland)

Monday 25 September 2006:

Dear Professor Ebringer,

I began your “starch free diet” just over 12 months ago and I am delighted to report that I have been able to manage without taking any NSAID’s (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) for the last two months. I only take over the counter painkillers, such as Anadin when the need arises.

My doctor or G.P. (General Practitioner) is amazed and has all the research papers that you sent me. He has been recommending your diet to other AS patients, especially those who are HLA-B27 positive like me.

My quality of life and energy levels have improved dramatically thanks to your diet. Just prior to beginning your diet, my pain level was at a chronic level, which forced me to look for some new research into AS, and luckily I came across your diet at that worrying point in my life.

Thank you and God bless you. Brian Lundy.