Kickas.org
Posted By: Inanna Medicinal Marijuana - 08/13/03 08:12 PM
I just saw an excellent episode of the Nature of Things with David Suzuki on Sunday night. It was about medicinal marijuana and was extremely informative. I gleaned one or two guidelines for those of us who do this, but aren't on any kind of authorized user list.

The main one was to start out slowly. Take two puffs. Wait a while to see if it works and take two more if needed. Keep going that way until you find out how much you need to get the muscle relaxant effect going.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Hugs,

Kat

Posted By: Moose Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/03/03 03:19 PM
And to further that note,

Doctors in Holland are now allowed to give prescriptions of "medicinal marijuanna" for sufferers of chronic illnesses - not sure if AS is on the list. The script is for 5grammes of Hollands finest

Slimmer than I was!
Posted By: dangut008 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/03/03 08:40 PM
Heck slow puff.....just give it a long deep drag and you will take care of the pain..

I'm a little pain on the
"AS"..
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/09/03 01:48 PM
Hi there, yup, doctors in Canada can now do that too! But they have to fill out massive forms and prove that no other treatment is working.

Holland has always had a more sane view of these things. Hopefully, Canada is starting to catch up.

Hugs,

Kat

Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/09/03 01:48 PM
Just one? It usually takes me 3 or 4. I love the feeling of my lungs expanding as I inhale.

Hugs,

Kat

Posted By: earthwoman Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/09/03 08:04 PM
Hey all you herb lovers out there! Myself included
Thought you would enjoy this visual " MAN!" along with your 'medication'
Oh, and even if your not into 'herbs', you still might find this wild and crazy

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/saishin-e.html

FYI: When a message box first pops up called Language Pack Installation, just click cancel. It is not necessary to have it in order to see this link.

Enjoy!!!

peace
Kathy

"The most beautiful stones have been tossed by the wind and washed by the waters and polished to brilliance by life's strongest storms."
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/10/03 07:27 PM
Good gravy, Kathy!! What're you trying to do, make me think I've over indulged at work!!?

Kat

Posted By: uksue Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/11/03 08:26 AM
Hi
My neighbour's just been raided by the police..again... as he grows a number of plants..he's in constant pain from a bache injury (I mean back...just been looking at that Japanese site!!).
I was wondering if anyone can give me the very very latest position on medicinal marijuana in the uk. Thanks.
uksue

Posted By: uksue Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/13/03 07:27 AM
S'funny...was on the news last night..it's just been reduced from a class B to a class C drug... which means the police can give a person a warning only and confiscate... however they can still arrest if they have a mind to!!?!

Posted By: Litlesiss Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/16/03 07:33 PM
Hi Kat,
I just can't seem to do it...smoke the whacky stuff.
My husband's friend was recently diagnosed with cancer...throat cancer I think and he was smoking it. He gave my husbnad a joint to bring home with me and when he came home and pulled it out of his pocket I was kind of upset. The thought of him getting stopped with this stuff on him really bothered me.
He told me that his friend said it would help with my pain and he thought I should try it. Well, I did and I will admit that it helped with the pain for that night and part of the next day...amazing!
But, I was paranoid as hell and hated that feeling. Don't ask me what I was paranoid about...a little of everything and anything
Since then I haven't dared to try it again.
Think the stuff was just too strong for me? He did say it was really good stuff (what ever that means) and to take it easy. Don't mean to sound stupid, but are there lot's of different kinds? I only took one puff, but it was a big one.
I'm the type of person that'll try anything once.
Last year the medical marijuana bill was put through, but our governor at the time (Howard Dean who is now running for president) vetoed it. As of just recently it was put back through again and the new governor is unsure of what he is going to do. He said he feels the same way as Dean, but if there is enough evidence to prove that it can be regulated perfectly then he may pass it. He is worried that it will open a huge can of worms. So, who knows what will happen.
If it works for you as good as you say then I say.. keep puffing!
As for me...I just can't seem to allow myself to try it again.
Maybe it's all the negativity surrounding it that makes me paranoid. Guilty consience maybe. That consience has been known to put me in my place and keep me there, so I've learned to trust it. But when I smoked that stuff it kicked into high gear.
I'll keep you posted as to what happens with the bill. I am interested to see where it ends up.
Hugs,
Lisa

Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/17/03 08:47 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what it is here. They'll only arrest for over 30 grams in possession. For crying out loud - that's month's worth of supply for me!!!

This past summer has been great. Smoke on the street. Smoke at concerts. There are even little cafes opening up where you can BYOP (bring your own pot), but not in Toronto yet. The police aren't doing anything.

Kat

Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/17/03 08:54 PM
Honey, paranoia goes with the territory. I still get paranoid at times, but not often. Usually because I'm safe at home, but every so often, the paranoia monster rears its ugly head and I become convinced that as soon as I go to sleep my house is going to burn down, or get robbed, or my cats are going to drown, or some such silly thing.

I've been doing it for so long, tho, that it takes me more than one puff (big or small) to feel anything. Still, I'm smoking less than half a joint every night.

Actually, I just bought a ventilator to smoke up with. It's smoke free. It's an electrical gizmo with a heating element in it. You put the post on a little pan and it bakes it. Because nothing's burning, there's no smoke. You just inhale the vapours. Very different high. More of a body buzz than a head buzz (because you aren't asphyxiating yourself with the smoke). Very different and very odd. It'll take a little getting used to because I'm so accustomed to the other way. I keep thinking it's not working, but then I take a deep breath, and my thorasics actually move somewhat easily, and I realize that it is working.

I'll be interested to hear what happens in your state.

Hugs,

Kat

Posted By: earthwoman Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/18/03 01:50 PM
OK, that does it, I'm going to look for a new pasture in CA! Snort!

"The most beautiful stones have been tossed by the wind and washed by the waters and polished to brilliance by life's strongest storms."
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/18/03 04:12 PM
Why in CA, honey. It's up here in ON that all the fun's going on!

Kat

Posted By: earthwoman Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/19/03 02:38 PM
CA = Canada silly

Posted By: DanInDC Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/20/03 06:32 AM
Hi Kat and everyone posting here,

I've been doing a whole lot of research on medicinal Marijuana, and it has been very positive. All of the research that I have done about using it to control chronic pain has shown that it is very effective, the side effects are much lower than most AS drugs, and it is relativly inexpensive. I can see why countries and states are leagalizing it's medical use.

(There is a sister group to Power Over Pain that is starting to form. A 501(c)3 charity cannot do more than minimal lobbying, and this 501(c)4 group plans to do the lobbying that we cannot leagaly do. I would bet that this will be a part of their lobbying , though I can't be sure since they are a different group, but their aim is to change legislature to make life better for people with chronic painful diseases. When they get up and started I'll have to ask the E.O. come here and talk about it with KA. I think that it is going to be a good group to stand up for our rights as patients.)

Take care my friends,

Daniel

http://www.Power-Over-Pain.org
"NEVER DOUBT THAT A SMALL GROUP OF THOUGHTFUL, COMMITTED CITIZENS CAN CHANGE THE WORLD" Margaret Mead
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/23/03 02:21 PM
Ooooooooh. Dopey me.

Kat

Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/23/03 02:23 PM
Yes, everything I've heard about it is also quite positive - including personal experience. It doesn't cut all my pain, however, which really surprised my rheumy. He has many patients who use it for the pain killing properties. For me, it's more the muscle relaxant (which helps with pain) and helping me to sleep properties that I love!

I'd be interested in hearing from your 'sister' organization on this. Although, up here, we already have it in place legally (medicinally anyway).

Hugs,

Kat

Posted By: Heathen Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/24/03 06:14 PM
Well I have to agree that marijuana is a legitimate (well ok, still technically illegal...at least growing it and selling it and possessing more than x amount of grams) alternative to treatment for AS for the chronic pain associated with it.

Let me elaborate if I may.

My husband was 25/26 when he was diagnosed with AS (previously Drs thought it was bursitis and then a slipped disc). This man, even as a teenager, while hanging with friends who did occassionally indulge, would not have considered trying it...and was very much against it in his house. (Myself, having done it in highschool way back when didn't really consider it worth my time).

Fast forward a few years and now we're living in Central America, where surprisingly the doctors there treat both the disease itself and the pain (which strangely the doctors up here seem to consider the pain to be less than something worth consideration), and the doctor down there prescribes marijuana. Needless to say (now this is 2002 we're talking about) it took a month or so to convince my husband that you know...it's not going to hurt any worse than anything else.

And you know what? For the first time in 8 years, he slept through the night...pain-free. And it carried over to the next day...the effects of a full sound sleep, without pain.

Now of course, we come back to Canada and trying to get ahold of that stuff even in small amounts (as it was used only before bed and on a "as needed" basis) is difficult at best. And the prescription from the doctor (legal meds) to sleep do nothing, don't help the pain, don't keep him asleep, and make him feel dopey and lethargic the next day.

Really, it's not for everyone. But for some, it helps. I just wish I could find it here as easily.

Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/27/03 09:47 PM
Yeah, I've found that the benefits are so incredibly numerous (as in, a relatively good night's sleep means I can accomplish more the next day). Wish I had some advice on getting it, but I can't do that here. However, has your hubby talked to his rheumy about getting onto the medical marijuana list? At least then he'd be able to get it legally. Although, I hear that the legal stuff sucks rocks.

Also, I would suggest that you invest in a ventilator. I find that after I smoke with one of these I'm not couch bound (as I am if I use my regular pipe), which means that I can do a bit of clean-up before I go to bed and I'm thinking clearly.

Just a suggestion.

Hugs,

Kat

Posted By: Heathen Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/28/03 08:24 PM
Actually hubby will be seeing a rheumy on the 4th and will ask about it.

I too have heard it sucks big time, but prefer legality over the other (since its not as easy as I would think to find it :>)

Ventilator? No I had never considered that. Always stuck with a water pipe as opposed to other methods.

Are they easy to obtain?

Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/29/03 06:28 PM
PM me and we can exchange info to talk details. OK?

Hugs,

Kat

Posted By: grooveh Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/02/03 03:14 AM
Funny...I just found this thread after hours of reading.

I too use MMJ to help relieve the pain. I find it to be very effective and it doesnt mess my head up like prescribed narcotics do. I have yet to ask my rheumy what she thinks about its usage...but, I am seriously considering bringing a Med MJ access form to her to sign, and see if I can get my card.

I just hate having to deal with black market sources to obtain quality meds...and plan on growing my own meds.

I find that when you smoke it you only benefit so much from its medicinal values. If you eat it though, (I make special cookies) I find that MJ controls the pain so much more effectively. Eating it affects your body more than your brain....which is perfect. I like to be alert and not "stoned out of my mind"....so that is another plus.

I agree that MJ is not for everyone...but it definitely is worth a try to see how effective it is for us AS sufferers.

Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/02/03 04:01 AM
do you give out recipe for special cookies?
it's good for the soul to giggle once in a while.
aloha Ben

Posted By: grooveh Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/02/03 05:06 AM
Ben: actually, recipes I use came from the AARP website, at http://www.letfreedomgrow.com

Click the recipe link, and there are several recipes for cookies and other treats on there.

I am going to try and formulate my own cookie in the next bit, as I find that the taste is often strong, and not as enjoyable. (They are meds though....like Buckley's....heh)

Hope that helps.

Posted By: Pello Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/02/03 11:26 AM
Hey, Grooveh:

Very interesting that:

In reply to:

I find that when you smoke it you only benefit so much from its medicinal values. If you eat it though, (I make special cookies) I find that MJ controls the pain so much more effectively. Eating it affects your body more than your brain....which is perfect. I like to be alert and not "stoned out of my mind"....so that is another plus.

I don't know smoking... But marihuana hasn't moral problems for me, no more than alcohol, and here in Basque Country we love wine and hard cider. II'll try eating.

Thanks for link also.

Pello

Posted By: grooveh Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/02/03 03:14 PM
Pello: My pleasure. I am simply passing on things I have tried in my attempts to find some relief from my condition. That website is chaulk full of great recipes...I have only tried a few so far. One recipe that interests me there (but I haven't tried yet) is the Tincture. I think the idea for a tincture is a great one, and I have read a lot of material on this that suggests that it is even more effective, as it affects the body sooner than it would if you ate it in food.

When you smoke MJ, it starts affecting you almost immediately afterwards. However, when you eat it, it often takes up to an hour to "kick in"....like other medications, it has to be fully digested first. With the tincture, I have read that it takes a lot less time to kick in (15-20 minutes or so), but it has the same properties as if you ate the MJ in food.

I have a long and painful winter ahead of me, so I'll be trying lots of recipes out :)

I'll let you all know how they turn out!

If anyone else has any experiences, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

cheers!

Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/04/03 09:35 PM
Hey, thanks for the recipe link. I've often wanted to try eating it instead of smoking it. No point doing something for my well being that's bad for my health. That's why I got the ventilator. Not as much tar, no ash, very little smoke and, like eating it, it's more of a body than a brain high. Which is what I need.

I'm going to go find some recipes now.

Hugs,

Kat

Posted By: la_monty Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/05/03 01:41 AM
In my "hippy" days one of my favorite books was a small treatise lovingly called "The Art and Science of Cooking With Cannabis".
I used it overseas of course - so i could never be charged under Australian law... but i did have many conversations with others who used the recipes here...
Basically, the science is that THC (being tar-like ) readily absorbs into butter so melting it into butter then making the cookies etc. was the way to go. Old herbal books from England say of hemp "it is so common in country gardens that i need not describe it" and go on to talk of hemp infusions - tea as a stomachic or for vivid dreams - take your pick!
The tincture (in alcohol) worked very well - especially with hash oil (apparently) - not only more quickly, but seemed to have a lighter, headier stone more akin to smoking (but without the cancer threat ) whereas the cookies were more bodily focused, heavier, slower...
It would be interesting to experiment there with which form would be best therapeutically, but i'd vote for for the cookies as it seems to affect fewer brain receptors. Wouldn't want to encourage dis-orientation.
Now where was i?
If you are wondering how a big molecule like THC gets through the stomach/GIT - it is with the alcohol (remember drinking on an empty stomach) or butter fat (we cannot handle it when we are sick) which pass easily through the membranes and carry the THC through to the blood stream. Of course with a leaky gut we may not need them as much.
So much for the science, i'll leave someone else to perfect the Art.

Ted
Posted By: RoughRandel Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/05/03 08:50 AM
High all... :)

Yup, I want to join the chorus on the benifits on MJ. I was smoking the stuff for the wrong reasons, but reaslised the benifits when I wanted to quit. I wanted to revamp my life and I thought that that habit's got to go. It was the worst 2 weeks in the last 3 years!

I think when you're high you forget about the pain... :)

When I quit, sleep started to elude me and pain levels increased.

Fortunetely here in Africa (South Africa) the stuff is quite freely available. And cheap. I pay R70 for about 40 gram. (due to our currency's recent stregthening it became much more expensive in $ - in Dec 2001 the rand struck it's worst levels ever - R13.86 to the $, now it's standing at +- R6.30 to the $ - meaning relatively the price increased from $5 to $11)

For the purpose of sleep and killing pain I would strongly recommend using it. Now smoking it is not the best option - eating is much more acceptable (for taste for those that does not smoke at all). And here goes my recipe for cookies:

Grind your stuff as fine as possible, removing all seeds and sticks.
Put in a small pot, cover it with water and add about a table spoon of margerine/butter. Delta 9-Tetrahydracannabinol, or THC for short, is an oil based chemical and doesn't stick to the water - hence the butter /margerine.
Boil this mixture at low temp.
Every about 30 mins, drain the fluid and add new water/butter. I filter it through a hankerchief - carefully - the stuff is boiling temp when you drain it. Do this 3 or 4 times, adding the fluid together.
Throw away the solids. Take the drained fluid and boil it until there is very little water left (the water will appear black and disgusting).
Let it cool down to the point where the butter/marge has solidified. Remove the block of solids and throw the rest away.

Take this butter/marge and bake your favourite instant cookies, replacing the butter/marge that's part of the recipe, with your special version. It may not taste as good as the cookies would normally, but it's a far cry from the revolting taste of the MJ solids in the cookies.

I prefer smoking it though - I feel much more in control. Smoking lasts about 2 hours - eating it can last up to 12 hours. I do not consume before or during work, but damn I look forward to it in the late afternoon.

Happy times.
Rinus

Posted By: grooveh Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/05/03 07:28 PM
Interesting way to make butter, I must say. I have never heard of that recipe. Thx for sharing that with us.

I'm not saying the recipe I use is worse or better, but just for information's sake, I'll post my butter recipe. Making cannabutter is the first step into making your own edible meds.

Black Out Butter Link

Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/10/03 02:11 PM
Thanks for the link...they have some nice stuff.
Every recipe seems predicated on " Bloto/ STUN / Wham " dosage.
The ginger snaps would cost about $ 1200 a batch at current local prices.

Would be nice to try a " teehee, teehee " dosage rather than "whamo".

te nehenehe e
aloha Ben

Posted By: johnti Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/08/04 02:20 PM
Here in Britain the police tend to turn a blind eye to dope these days, if you have MS you can get it on prescription and if like me you are a child of the 60's you already know of the relaxing properties of the drug. My doctor and consultant know I partake to make the night more tolerable in terms of pain and both have the attitude 'whatever gets you through' The alternative for me was DF118's (dihydrocodeine)which are legal on prescription but very addictive or the wacky baccy which is under review in terms of possession being a very minor crime and not addictive as far as I know.
It's a great deal better going to sleep with a smile on your face than racked with pain, trust me.

Posted By: nicholasbc Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/21/04 07:06 AM
i also find pot helps me sleep thru the massive night sweats etc. fortunately i live in vancouver canada

Posted By: nicholasbc Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/21/04 07:14 AM
hi, i'm also planning on trying the tincture. does it help your sleep 2?

Posted By: TerryLea Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/21/04 04:40 PM
In Canada you can also get a prescription for the pills, knocked me flat out for the day. LOL

~If there is something you cannot change, then change the way you react to it
Posted By: johnti Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/22/04 06:42 PM
How come Canada is light years ahead in terms of the use of marijuana?

Posted By: Lin Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/24/04 11:04 PM
I've smoked MJ for years. I never regarded it as a pain killer. But it its true that it helps you emotionally cope with the pain. It's as if you can distance yourself from the pain and think about it rationally instead of getting upset about it.

Cannabis-butter is classified as a hard drug in Holland. And I do find it much stronger than just smoking it. I can't remember why it is so different, but it has something to do with the fat in the dairy soaking up the THC or something.

Lin

Posted By: johnti Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/27/04 03:20 PM
Hmm, interesting,
must check that out.

Janet

Posted By: zark Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/07/05 03:27 AM
Heather posted her experience of using weed on another thread: severe pain anyone help

~~~~ My Blog ~~~~
"Thy food shall be thy remedy." - Hippocrates, 500 BC
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/11/05 09:44 PM
Janet, I don't know why that is, but I'm glad. One of these days, I may be able to get on the medicinal pot list myself. Then I can get pills like TerryLea. Which I didn't even know they made. Going to ask my rheumy or GP abou tthat next time I'm in.

Hugs,

Kat

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived." - Strictly Ballroom
Posted By: antone77 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/17/05 06:02 AM
OMG, $5 for 40g's, wowie, its at least $100-200 for 40g's in the states, err least in TN. Must be nice to live in a place where you can be free to injest a helpful herb and not be put in jail for it. I know many who smoke mary j, in all walks of life, either personally, or thru forums, emails, etc., and most of them are really great people, and friendly for the most part. It's just a much more peaceful, relaxing drug than alcohol and tobacco, the staples for the american "accepted drugs".
I find it a very serious injustice that people of a "free" nation would have to fear imprisonment, or huge fines for doing something that hurts no one, except for the small amount of brain cells the smoker may have to endure. I have a difficult time believing those who are in power really feel deep down that someone smoking a doobie is as threatening to the general public as a raging drunk.
We all know that cigarettes cause lung cancer, but the other health problems associated with them are too numerous to mention, and arent on the package. One major one is that cig's affect your sleep if smoked 7 hours or less b4 sleep. Thetruth.com is a great site for more facts.
Alcohol definately is stronger and more harmful than mary j. I would rather be around someone who is stoned rather than drunk. I haven't seen many peep who can do much anything very well drunk, but I know many who can perform most any task to a normal level while stoned.
If we could get the entire country to vote on whether or not to legalize mary j, I assure you the numbers for it would rise each year. Think of how nice it would be, to walk into the gas station, and be able to choose, freely, without fear, which type of fine Grade A mary j to puff on, ahhh, yummmy. Well, till then, may we all live to the highest degree of what we feel is freedom, until the day comes when mary j is legal for all to use and enjoy. :)

Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/17/05 01:07 PM
yeah but the maryj smoker will talk your ear off about keith moon drum solos

if booze (or asprin) were invented tomorrow...neither would get to market.
imagine a product with a toxic dosage in civilian hands for self administration.

yeah but the maryj smoker would talk your ear off about keith moon drum solos

i'd much rather encounter on the roadway the guy with five shots and a beer in
his system...vitamin v...stoly.

hey but the maryj smoker could talk your ear off about keith moon drum solos

...'somtimes the product costs sity-five dollar, prices like that make a grown man holler'... mb

best
aloha Ben

keith moon never took a drum solo

Posted By: Megan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/17/05 10:37 PM
lmao!!

Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/18/05 03:45 PM
ben, you truly are a delight!

Hugs,

Kat

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived." - Strictly Ballroom
Posted By: laneblue Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/22/05 10:58 PM
Where I live we have a small shop downtown that is run by the compassionate society and they supply med mj to people at a good price. (I think they use the good stuff "BC Pot") They also sell cookies (which are still illegal ) and some kind of cream you can rub on your sore spots. I really like the idea of the cream, does anyone know how well this stuff works?

Laneblue
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 02/11/05 09:40 PM
I've never tried a pot cream. Sounds really interesting tho. If you try it, please post whether or not it worked for you, OK?

Hugs,
Posted By: johnti Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 02/14/05 05:50 PM
One of the kids who lives in one of the cottages rolled me a joint last night, that made me feel as if my AS had gone.
shame the morning came with all the usual ache.
Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 02/14/05 10:28 PM
happy trails to you
Posted By: OhHenry Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/08/05 05:41 AM
MJ as a medicine is worth thinking about. If you are you haven't tried it because of all the "war on drugs," miss information consider this. MJ has bin available in US since about the 1930s. The original reason is was outlaw was do the pulp paper Co czar didn’t want another source of paper pulp to put his wood pulp out of competition. Check out a little history to see this is true. Pulp making of paper started with wood at just a couple years before hemp farming and import started in US. Hemp was going to be a cheaper cleaner way of making paper. The wood pulp czar had already invested into wood pulp production and lobbied to make hemp a controlled substance.
The claims by the DEA and law enforcement should be considered with the joining fact that if MJ was legal a lot of people would be out of work. Over a forth of the imprisoned people in the US are there for MJ. This fact alone shows how much revenue is spent on the so called war on drugs. This war on drugs is not on all drugs as you may have bin led to believe. To prove this point check out the DEA web sight and study the charts. Soon you will see most money is spent on imprisoning the common MJ user.
Another thing to consider, The legal drugs that are supposed to go through strict medical and scientific study to insure safety- how many have bin recalled in the last five years. More than I care to count. Of the drugs you are now taking how many short term and long term side effects are harming your body? I believe if you realize that MJ has bin used longer than any current med used for AS than you would trust the common users many years of research. How many people have bin physically hurt in any way directly from the use of MJ? You may think there are some because the war on drugs says so but looking into it I have not found one case that was proven to cause physical harm in adults. Children have bin shown in laboratory studies to suffer empathy like symptoms but the adults did not. It's worth getting the fact and not just accepting what the drug war people say(they have much to loose if you know the truth and much to gain if they keep the gen. public ill informed.)
It would be unlawful for me to encourage anyone to use an illegal substance so please know I am only writing this for you to make your own informed choice and you should do the research and double check me. I am not a doctor or lawyer or LE officer so you make your own choice.

The government already knows what the people want and the gov. already knows MJ is safer than the drugs given to us by the drug company. The fight is in political leverage and that is only gained by active groups, so be active and support a group.
Please share your thoughts and info. If you want PM me and I can give you more details on how to grow your favorite herbal medicine. Don’t buy from the street. This just supports the DEA and anti drug folks in the way that more busts = more justification for there need to police the drug.

A healthier alternative to smoking is vaporizer. They are expensive and seems like a red flag to some but its easy to make one (PM me if you want design). Other people have already stated the beni's so I just wanted to agree, it’s better for you.

Sorry one more edit; The reason I considerd MJ in the first place is cost of drugs. Without insurance I cant even afford gov. approved drugs.
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/09/05 08:01 PM
johnti, sorry, hon, I just saw this now. It worked for you, did it? It never gets rid of the pain so much for me, but relaxes my muscles amazingly welly.

Hugs,
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/09/05 08:04 PM
Hey there! Sounds like the paper tsar made the same kind of bad decision that Henry Ford did when he decided to go with petrol instead of ethanol.

By the way, check back on this thread. I advocate the use of a vaporizer, as it's better for you. No point doing something medicinal that's going to harm you in some other way, is there. Hmmmmm. That would discount almost every pharmaceutical out there!

Hugs,
Posted By: OhHenry Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/10/05 04:27 AM
Hi Inanna
I agree on the Vaporizer. It dosent burn the material so you arent inhaling smoke. It converts the oils to a vapor.
Yes Inanna some of the greats of history seem to have missed out on the big picture. It does seem like greed tends to get in they way of so many great men in history. But I have to say Im looking at them with 20/20 vision of the history. They may have had the best intent but really screwed up on a few points. I tend to lean towards the thought of greed being the cause
Pain and MJ.
I have heard of studies that say it does and studies that say it dosent help to relieve pain. I think it does help my pain as well but that could realy be just relaxation. I find that its use relaxes my muscles. Most of my pain comes from joints but I think alot of that is caused by muscles. I think the constant muscle spasms and overly taut ligaments make the joints more inflamed and sore. The joint pain (no pun intended) is less without the muscles fighting against me and I am more limber and have much less pain. I also find this relaxation counters some of the mental stress cronic pain brings.

TO ALL ASKICKERS:
I would like to say I am sorry for my heated statement earlier on this thread. This is a family sight and some of my statements where not the kind of thing I would want my children to read. And I am happy some of it got edited. Kudos to the very patient admin! It needed to be edited and I would have edited even more then they did but tried and got msg that time had run out to edit. I didnt stop and think. So may I say: The choice of MJ as a alternate is a choice, at this time, to do something illegal in most of USA. I would never think to influence anyone to do something they are not able to understand and accept the outcome of that action. Please if you are under 21 and considering this type of action talk it over with Parents, Doctors and such. Tests that have bin repeated show the same result in that children can suffer empathy effects that can take more than months to over come after stoping the use of MJ. As a minor the choices you make can have a terrable effect on your parents or guardians. In the eyes of the law they are responsable for your actions. Any illegal activity in there home will bring retribution on them. They have a right to know about any dangers you and they could be subject to with such actions.
Its already bin said on this thread that there are organizations fighting for the laws to be changed based on clinical studies to legalize the medical use of MJ for cronic pain victums. Searching out such an organization and supporting there efforts through legal means is the only way the laws will get changed. Its as simple as a web search. Even a letter to your representatives is a step towards your goal. Please support the legal process of our country and be an active member of the group or groups that support what you understand to be right.
Posted By: snotbox Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/11/05 10:22 PM
Here in England there is a non-profit making organisation called bud buddies who will send you MJ if you sign a form and get a doctors note specifying your condition. They`ve got into trouble a few times with the coppers- but it`s pretty cool.
If you dont smoke they even do it in chocolate form!
In my experience it does help.
It alleviates the pain, and it makes you laugh as well!
God knows we don`t get much fun out of this condition.
Kaz xx
Posted By: OhHenry Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/12/05 05:28 AM
Hey Snotbox
Chocolate and MJ! Wow talk about dessert. Oboy I would skip dinner altogether for that.

The wife and i have talked about move to Canada. England is too far of a move but Canada and Englands medical/government policies seem to have more in common than US and England. With my disability and fact that niether one of us speak French our application would end up with too view points to be considerd I think. We would be Canadians in a heartbeat if it was available to us. For more than a view reasons. Top most reason is the geography. My favorite State of US I've lived in is Alaska and wifes fav state is Michigan so you can see Canada would be a great mid point geographically. And then there is the reason that health care in Canada is light years ahead of US. I really cant understand US policies on health care in so many ways.
Oh and by the way if you where thinking of sending out Christmass cards this year...just so you know...I love chocolate
Take care.
Posted By: snotbox Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/12/05 07:14 PM
Oh, I`d send you all some chockky mj if I could, but I fear the old sniffer dogs might find it and then I`d get into deep doo doo!
It would be interesting to give a dog that, and see what happens.
Posted By: OhHenry Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/16/05 06:22 AM
I'm sure that would be one confussed puppy. Chocolat makes 'em excited and mj would be seditive. Sounds like a bad trip to me, all excited but no energy to do anything. LOL Just joking on the Christmas card.
Posted By: LadyFierce Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/21/05 03:53 AM
I really need to move to Canada.

Posted By: OhHenry Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/24/05 02:16 AM
That kitten giff is so wounderful!!! I tried to copy is but will save as jpeg? Is there a way I could get that kitten giff!!??? Please. Take care.
Posted By: LadyFierce Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/24/05 02:19 AM
Need an email address to send it, but you're welcome to it
Pain relief from MJ is not just in our heads.
Like many others, I thought the pain relief I felt from MJ was simply a byproduct of the relaxing effects of MJ but medical research is showing that THC and CB1 (components of MJ) are actually effective treatment for inflamation and pain. I read these medical papers and my jaw droped to the floor! I had no idea this research had bin done. You may find these Med. research papers interesting. It is a compleatly legal web page dedicated to the professional medical reasearch done on the effects of MJ as a medicine. There is a special section on pain and inflamation and how MJ has shown to be an effective pain and inflamation treatment in labratory test. Many of the findings are supported by recreating the same tests in seperate studies. Many interesting reads for persons interested in the medical use of MJ.
http://www.thecompassionclub.org/library/modern.html#pain
I'm not sure I posted that to work as a link but if you copy and past the above line in your web address section of browser it should work.
Hi there, I know the truth of what you say, but every so often I get proof positive in my own reactions to it. Last week, after spending all day looking after Brian and taking him to hospital, my thoracics were so tight I couldn't take a deep breath. Five or six puffs from my pipe had me breathing deeply again. Muscles relaxed, pain level lowered.

The proof is, as they say, in the pudding. Or chocolate.

Hugs,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/05/05 11:03 PM
In the immortal words of Larry "Pinto" Kroger......."I won't go schizoid will I?"
Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/06/05 11:59 AM
yo, turtle blues,

pot wont make you psycho, but those steroids will...new motto: paunch not muscles.
nature intended us to be shaped like peaches with legs...mmmmmm...munchies...good...i want a cookie.
Kat you should be smoking more...transcendence is just over that 'muscles relased, breathing easier' threshold.

you too can glow in the dark.

why should everything we take for AS be nasty, horrible, unpleasant, nauseous or toxic?

best
aB
Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/06/05 12:10 PM
O Henry,

this is america...can't ya just move to canada? what's this application thing; they have applications?
seriously, ask the indians, we just go where we want to....don't need no stinking 'permission'.

i do speak some french, read it better...at least i could fill out the form.
north mexico...cold, snow, no sun, winter long, cold, eh? no texican just some french...and a sociabelist gumment.

best
aB
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/06/05 01:45 PM
Right on Dude!
Great topic...too bad we aren't the rulers of the world!

I was diagnosed in '78...on my doctor's (also a personal friend) and my, surgeons suggestion I started using pot. Aside from a couple experiments with NSAID's, it was the only "medication" for AS I used until I stopped all drugs a couple years ago. Imagine the money I saved, not to mention the added damage I would have had using the killer drugs the medicos prescribe.

I am sooo sick of being under the thumb of politics when my health is at stake!
Posted By: LadyFierce Make your Voice Count - 07/08/05 05:11 PM
I quit smoking to keep my family out of this issue. It wasn't until I quit that I even realized I had this blasted disease. If it were legal, I would smoke.

There is a website dedicated to the reform of marijuana laws in this country. The link that follows will take you there. The only way to change the laws is to take a stand.

NORML

Posted By: MikeInSLC Re: Make your Voice Count - 07/08/05 05:39 PM
I too would smoke it - IF it were legal. I agree that something needs to be done. It's laughable that at 21 (or younger in some areas) you can blow your mind with alcohol, and at 19 you're given license to kill yourself with cigarettes, but you can't use marijuana - even for a medical condition in the United States. I don't think it should be legalized and sold in smoke shops and branded by Philip Morris, but for those who suffer chronic pain, or have glaucoma, it should be legal, no question about it!

Mike
Posted By: ChrisFromOZ Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/11/05 05:02 AM
Hi All I have been hearing about Medicinal Marajuana for some time , but does it really help with pain as I am in extreme pain most days even though I am injesting a multitude of drugs daily,I am at my wits end like I now have had two falls now and had to call Paramedics to pick me up, I have tried Infliximib with litttle to no results and now they are going to try me on ENBREL but that wont be for another two months , so I need something to help with the next two months or I may not make it.

I have only heard of this M M on this site and dont really know if it is available or legal in Australia.

Thanks

Chris
Posted By: Dakotadan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/12/05 01:57 AM
Save as a .gif and it'll move for you.
Posted By: Dakotadan Re: Make your Voice Count - 07/12/05 02:43 AM
Thanks Lady,

Been with N.O.M.A.L since day one. Been a pal of Herb since '78

Even avid naysayers won't get into a debate today because their arguements are a joke and they know it. Rationality doesn't count when personal freedom is discussed. Put some seeds into the ground, tend with TLC, smoke the harvest, feel better, save on med bills and not hurt a soul....that constitutes a crime? Marijuana and alcohol...why is one good and one bad...and what fool decided alcohol was the winner?
Posted By: Inanna Re: Make your Voice Count - 07/12/05 07:04 PM
Quote:

what fool decided the alcohol was the winner?

Boy, Pete, if I had a nickel for everytime I've heard that question ...

Hugs,
Posted By: TerryLea Re: Make your Voice Count - 07/18/05 12:40 AM
There now is the "pot" pill in Canada, works wonders for the pain and it is legal!!!
Posted By: ChrisFromOZ Re: Make your Voice Count - 07/18/05 02:57 PM
Hi Terry so how do you obtain this pill in Canada does it start with a Doctors prescriptian , then a trip to the pharmacy or something else more sinister.

To the best of my knowledge we don't have anything like that over here in OZ < I have searched the net and it seems all dope was banned some years ago although Marijuana has been used in a medicinal capacity for Centurys. I read it has been trialed in NSW thats another state of Oz bnutcan'tfind much else , so it looks like I will just have to drown myself in MS CONTIN (Morphene) for the next six weeks untill I get my first shot of Enbrel.

I did read Marijuana is available for Glucoma , which I don't have , it seems I have everything wrong with me except Glucoma.

Cheers

Chris
Posted By: Inanna Re: Make your Voice Count - 07/18/05 04:21 PM
Hey Terry, have you tried the pill? I'm curious about it as I'd love the benefits without the inhale.

Hugs,
Posted By: GaryB Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/20/05 07:37 AM
Hello,

I know when I take a couple hits of pot it totally relaxes me. Not only does it work great on my muscle spasms , but if I have the right strain it kills some of the pain.

All the best,
Gary
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/23/05 05:57 PM
Yup, I found the same thing. I cottoned onto it because I used to use it socially sometimes. I realized that when I did, I slept better (no muscle spasms). Now, I use it right before bedtime. Don't need all that much either.

Hugs,
Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/24/05 11:53 AM
hey, hey, hey...
now that you're officially a B.M.B. (biologically modified babe) you chest and lungs will hold the smoke better...
surf's up
Posted By: Scotty Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/24/05 04:32 PM
I too use maryjane at bed. I have been an avid toker if you will for many years now. When i was dx'ed i found that it really did ease the pain and relax me. The best aspect of it for me is i have lost all interest in eating. But not when i smoke a fatty!!! I eat and eat and eat. (nsd) of course. It has been a part of my life for a while and i don't intend to stop now. In Canada marijuana is not considered to be in the same class as cocaine or etc. as it is in most states so i have very little worry of legal ramifications. OH CANADA, WE STAND ON GUARD FOR THEE!!!!LMAO KEEP TOKEN, Scotty
Posted By: cheerful Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/24/05 06:12 PM
Quote:

n Canada marijuana is not considered to be in the same class as cocaine or etc.

No but the Cops still bust you if you have a gram on you and you stil have to go to Court for it.

John
Posted By: mig Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/24/05 07:05 PM
Yep, and if found guilty of possession, one could still end up with a *criminal* record. Perhaps no jail time, but probation is possible. I don't believe the feds have decriminalized possession... yet, so legal ramifications exist.

With a criminal record, taking a cross-border vacation might prove more difficult too.
No day trips to Albright-Knox? ... no Leafs games in Buffalo? ... no American KA parties?

Be afraid!!!
Posted By: Mywarrior Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/25/05 03:19 AM
I partied pretty heavily from age 15 to about age 35. Smoked lots of MJ daily. No wonder I did not feel all the pain over those years . I sure am making up for it now though!

Gee I wonder if I could get some Red Bud or Hawaiian now?
Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/25/05 04:20 PM
red bud...
Posted By: GaryB Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/26/05 09:04 AM
It is sad,to think, that we can become criminals because we choose to smoke an alternative medicine.

I would rather have a few tokes and feel better. Than to take some of the doctors prescribed medication and suffer from their side-effects.

All the best,
Gary
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/26/05 06:11 PM
I think what is sad is that grass or even crack is less expensive to buy than prescription pain killers and other medications prescribed by a doctor. Now that ain't right!
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/08/05 04:15 PM
Actually, if you have less than, I think it's 36 grams (an ounce is a little over 28 grams) it's considered for personal use in the decriminalization plan (which may or may not be in force right now, they've flip flopped so often I'm not sure anymore), not for traficking.

Now, anyone who isn't Donald Trump tends to buy in 1/8 (3.5 g), 1/4 (7 g) or 1/2 (14 g) ounces (and that last is pushing it for most people). It seems to me that the only people carrying a full ounce around with them are the trafickers who keep their stash with them in case there's a raid on their place while they're out. So, why they set the 'personal use' amount as high (if you'll excuse the pun) as they did is beyond me.

Euw. I think I know a tad too much about this.

As for medicinal pot, severe arthritis: severe pain and chronic pain are on the list here in Canada. Check out this page Medicinal Marijuana for qualifications of approval.

Hugs,
Posted By: Dakotadan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 11/14/05 05:40 PM
In '98, when I was living in Chihuahua, Mexico, 1/2 pound was 500 pesos...approximately $48.00USD and that was after at least two buyers had inflated the price. Boy was I tempted but knowing my luck, the canine patrol would have met me at the border. It's no wonder smuggling is so popular
Posted By: mig Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 11/14/05 06:08 PM
Hey Kat,

Plans to decriminalise mj for personal use were scrapped! The Liberals wouldn't have taken the risk of defeat on such an issue with their minority govn. And I have doubts we'll see this again anytime soon.

Best to beware!
mig
Other conponents of Marijuana are vasodilators which increase blood flow. That's why it relaxes muscles, relieves spasms, makes you mellow and your eyes red.

Hummm...it treats inflamation and pain, it relieves muscle tension and spasms, it helps you to sleep, and, it's relatively harmless.

Rx: 1 hit Aspotifyne PRN
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/21/05 06:33 PM
Yeah, I know. The cowards.

Hugs,
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/21/05 06:34 PM
Posted By: Garcia Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 02/14/06 01:36 AM
I'm new to this forum and I'm amazed. I am discovering that some of my old behaviors before diagnosis were a direct result of having AS and I didn't even know it. I was a vegetarian for 10 years,just thought I lost the urge to eat unhealty. This helped my AS. I was a daily pot smoker, for 15 years which relaxed me, cut down on my alcohol intake and also helped my AS. I have always been an avid hiker and general outdoorsman which has definately helped keep me loose by getting me out and moving around in the direct sunlight. I've had this affliction for 15 years now and feel ok. I have bad days but who doesn't? I think my subconscious mind/body helped me make good decisions. I swear by NSD, wheat germ, running, hot showers and pot.
Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 02/14/06 03:33 AM
j e r r y
Posted By: blazr63 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/03/06 06:44 PM
I was basically stoned from the age of 15 - 19 and caught many dead shows in the NYC area. One major medicinal benefit for me was no more allergy attacks. The pollen, mold and ragweed would almost kill me in the warmer weather until I started getting high. Pot was an awesome decongestant.
Posted By: Angelmom Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/04/06 06:29 AM
I wish,

Couldnt be any worse for me than all the drugs I am pushing thru my body in the name of fighting pain.

Lisa
Posted By: Dakotadan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/25/06 06:28 PM
Hi Garcia,

You know, with just a few small changes, I could have written your post. Because of fused ribs and a small income, I had to quit pot a few years ago. I can live without it but my quality of life has suffered. I long for the days when all it took to relieve my tired and stiff body was few hits.

I gotta go, I'm going to start crying
Posted By: Garcia Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/27/06 05:15 PM
Right on Pete. I'm competing in my 2nd marathon next week. I think I'll be the only toker crssing the finish line.
Posted By: Stever Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/01/06 05:27 AM
I was at one time an avid user/grower, it was the only thing that allowed me to relax enough to get to sleep at night. It also gave me the pain relief needed to have sex where I actually enjoyed it without the fear of having a giant spasm. I eventually gave it up when my kids were a little older but now if I had the chance I'd do it. I hear it helps with depression too. I don't think I'd enjoy paying for it though since I always grew my own hydroponically.

Peace,
Steve
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/03/06 08:44 PM
Actually, Steve, if I'm remembering correctly, pot is a depressant. If you're not depressed to start with, it's not so bad. If you are depressed ... well, let's just say I've known people to lose entire days to it. And an ex of mine who was on two different anti-depressants used to get frustrated because they weren't working so well. The fact that he was drinking 4 or 5 drinks every night and smoking at least 4 joints didn't help things.

So, while it may relax your muscles and calm things down a little, beware the folly that says it 'helps' with depression, OK?

Hugs,
Posted By: Stever Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/04/06 03:12 AM
I guess what I'm saying is that when you are high you are happy (or at least I am) and my appetite that is lost during depression comes back to me. The only time I'd be depressed is if my stash was low. Even my sex drive came back to me (wish I had a partner though).

Later Kat,
Steve
Posted By: RavenX1957 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/04/06 04:06 AM
Hi All,
I take Oxycontin and Hydrocodone. A lot of times they don't even come close to easing the pain. But when I smoke pot, the pain goes away. Not only does the pain go away. It puts me in a better state of mind. It makes me happy. The only thing is that the effects don't last long. I wish the government would make it legal in my state for medical use. I am so sick. I need it just to relax and cope with the pain.
Thanks
Rebecca
Posted By: Stever Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/04/06 11:37 PM
Well said Rebacca, now go roll us a fatty will ya.

To think that a natural growing weed could be made illegal,
makes me want to inflict my A/S pain on politicians.

Steve
Posted By: Phillip Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 02/08/07 02:04 PM
I have been on this site for some time but just now found this discussion about Medicinal Marijuana. Wow, I didn't realize that so many people were interested or knew about this. I thought I would make a new post about it so that everybody who has not read all these great comments could see it. I have not had any for about 5 years. I think I need to find some!!
Posted By: JeanneMedina Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/21/07 10:18 PM
Why don't you get on an authorized user list? How can I get on one? Do doctors really write prescriptions? Will my Rheumy think I have really lost my mind if I ask him for prescription?
Posted By: santacruzmts Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/02/08 05:44 PM
California is so easy to get a card Jeanne, look up Medicann online and they have special doctors who will evaluate you. The clubs up in SF and Hayward and Oakland are really nice. However it is so much more expensive to by pot from them compared to a friend or acquaintance, edibles are nice and cheap though. i am 20 now and have smoked consistently every day a long with getting good grades and competing in horse shows since i was about 16. AS hit me last year and it took me way too long to get diagnosed because i also have Infectious Arthritis from Lyme disease, which probably triggered my AS. I Find that it really helps with the relaxation however sometimes when i smoke it makes me really hypersensitive to pain so that i almost wish i had not gotten high. Does anyone else get this feeling? I think a lot of this depends on the strain
Posted By: Snarkas Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/02/08 09:29 PM
hopefully a laugh for your sunday mornings..

bill hicks on drugs in general, and please, its just a little fun so any of you who know Bill & watch anyway, well ...

this will offend just about everyone from theists to animal welfare to republicans (but if you believe Bill they wont notice anyway ) (JOKE) so i guess therefore at least it isnt prejudicial in anyway

Hicks on Drugs

Beautiful day here .. hope it is 'there' too.
Patrick
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/07/08 12:48 PM
Patrick that was great!
Posted By: raquel Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 06/29/08 01:17 PM
I have never been one to take part in marijuana and then back in April I thought I would give it a try for my pain. I made some brownies... didnt want to smoke it. Lets just say it did not turn out so good. I ended up calling 911 and at the emergency room. So if you decide to try it get more info than I did. I had no idea it would make me paranoid. I thought I was dieing. I guess I ate to much or something. I did not think that I ate very much but I guess it does not take much. It is something we laugh about now but at the time it was not fun. I am scared to try it again.
Raquel
Posted By: newsjunkie Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 06/30/08 07:31 PM
Raquel, I must say in all of my past experiences (and there have been many) although I no longer smoke due to paranoia, I much prefer my xanax LOL - anyway, in past experiences, eating pot brownies, as opposed to smoking, or inhaling one or two puffs, the brownies are MUCH MUCH MUCH more potent than just smoking it. Something about cooking it and it mixes with the oil and it releases more of that lovely chemical or whatever it is that makes you high as a kite. I have eaten brownies about 3 times in my lifetime, all of which I was soooooo sky high that I felt like I was tripping or I had eaten some mushrooms BROWNIES is not a good way to have your first experience with mary j - they are super potent compared to a puff from a joint.

I am tempted to give this another shot as I now have not only AS, but Crohn's as well, I'm positive it would help with my frequent nausea

This thread made me laugh my [**BLEEP**] off - you guys are a bunch of
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/07/08 02:31 PM
Really interested in this. I have been looking into trying it. My dad gave me enough for one joint to try but it was old, stale and not potent. It was my first experience with pot at the ripe old age of 31! My parents were/are quite the hippies and smoked all the time, now they don't do so much any more. But their drug talk to me as a kid was if you want to try pot come to us. The stuff out there may be laced with other stuff, so we don't want you to get hurt. Yup I rebelled the other way and never did it!

Well Christmas last year my pain was bothering me so I tried it. It really helped! I relaxed, my muscles relaxed and my back pain was tolerable. I want to try something fresher but have no clue how to get it. My husband is getting so upset with the lack of results from all my medications he wants me to smoke. He said it's just one more thing to try. I tend to agree. We both wish we lived in a state that allowed it, but we don't. Our state has decriminalized it, but I still don't know where to get it. I'm so afraid of buying my first bit of pot from some nark!

I hate to say it but I'm so desperate for pain relief I'm willing to buy illegal drugs. When will the US learn?!
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/07/08 02:33 PM
Raquel I read online that for someone who has never tried pot eating it is the worst thing to do! They say that it doesn't mix well and can have a large amount of it in only one brownie. Check out some medical marijuana sites, they have interesting ideas and some have forums that tell you how to do it your first time.
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/19/08 12:52 PM
I've been doing more research about this and found out yesterday that my state assembly voted for medical marijuana for our state last year and this year!! Good news. Bad news is the senate won't vote on it! So I did something "scary" and e-mailed the majority leader and told him to vote on it to help people in need. I told him I didn't want to have to do something illegal to get relief from my disease. If our state is this close we may be #13 to allow medical marijuana! I really hope so! I know so many people who could really benefit from this!
Posted By: Orch Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/19/08 02:43 PM
I think you are better off getting the active ingredients from a prescription. Otherwise you don't know how much you are getting (quality, quantity) , and smoking anything is not good for your lungs.
Posted By: parttimestoic Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/22/08 01:56 AM
Today I joined a cannabis compassion club.

There aren't many of these around.. mostly in big cities. But lucky enough, there's on in my town.

All I had to do was get a note from my doc saying I have chronic pain... and lo-and-behold, I have access to inexpensive, high quality herbal medicine. They also offer a tincture of extract that you can put under your tongue. I think i'll take advantage of that because I don't like the idea of smoking.

Though I used to be into it a lot, I've barely smoked at all for years now. But I'm going to give the stuff another try. If I can get the right strain I'm sure it'll help me out.

Look on the internet... if there's one of these near you, check it out.

Colin
Posted By: cruisecontrol Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/23/08 11:18 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that it should be totally legal. We could sure benefit from the pain relief!
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/25/08 01:00 PM
There's nothing like that in my state. My husband wants to move to VT where it's legal to smoke medical marijuana. He's so upset that nothing else works. He wants me to try it just to see if it'll help.
When there is something out there like MJ that could be so beneficial to so many of us, and a great help to ease our pain and improve our quality of life, its just so wrong that we are told that we cannot use it. They shouldn't be allowed to meddle in our health issues and decide whats right for us.
(please I mean no offense with this post)

What really makes me mad is they'll have no problem giving me OxyContin, fentynal patches, morphine or anything like them, but tell them you'd like to smoke a bit of weed and they go through the roof!

yeah 'cause weed is soooooo much worse then legal heroin.

No one has even died from marijuana, I know LOTS of people who got hooked on opiates, one almost died, he went into cardiac arrest and stopped breathing, luckily he's fine now. He started taking it legally for pain and then started abusing it due to other factors in his life. Sure that's not what most people who really need them for pain do, but it can happen. I read that you'd have to smoke 5 or more joints a day for 100 years to have a 1 in 5 chance (CHANCE) of getting lung cancer. Sure if you're predisposed or smoke cigarettes or live where lung cancer is more prevelant that risk is upped. But for normal small time users it's not as bad as big brother would like you to think.

I know lots of people who have other issues, not pain, that really benefit from smoking. One has anger issues and lots of stress, 3 hits when she gets home from work and she's mellow all through the next day even. One has severe puking up her stomach migraines which since she smokes a joint in the evening never happens anymore. Another who just uses to get high, but unlike drunks at the bar these people use responsibly. They are very careful. They respect what they are doing and respect others. Of course it can be abused. Anything can be abused! Heck how many people do you know who has to have that cup of coffee every morning or they are very angry. I read that pot is less addictive then caffiene, less addictive then everything legal but chocolate. What is so wrong with it?

I also read that medical marijuana has netted the state of california $100,000 a year in tax money. It would net even more if more people bought it legally instead of growing their own, or buying on the black market. The state I'm in will be $6 billion over budget in a couple years! Imagine how much it'll help if they sell it and tax it like cigarettes. At pack of cigarettes is soemthing like $3 in taxes alone! Plus getting it off the black market will help a bit with the violence in dealing with drug dealers. I read that 70-80% of our criminals in jail are on drug charges. And something like 60% of those are for pot! Something that is just wrong to me. I can see wanting to put the meth dealers away, but selling pot? Come on. it's so benign.

sorry for the rant. In my research I've just been reading so much.
preach it sister... shout it from the rooftops! I totally agree.
Posted By: tiredofpain Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/08/08 05:06 PM
alohaben, I get a big kick out of reading your posts...you'd easily qualify as a Canadian immigrant - dancing bears and all.

For most of my life I smoked pot, probably more than I should have but it mostly kept me off cigarettes and booze. Then I quit smoking, became a military officer and got sick? I'm not so sure there isn't a connection and I'm seriously thinking about seeking out a local Compassion Club on the island here when they kick me out, in the new year.
btw ben, Vancouver Island is often warm, moderate temperatures year round, mild weather (for the most part), maybe a few days of snow that never lasts, people don't even own parkas or snow-shovels here, oh and there are more deadheads than you can shake a bong at! Across the Georgia Strait on the mainland, there is a town that was founded by ex-pats who fled the States to avoid the draft. We do get a lot of rain though and it's not a good downpour kind of rain but a nearly constant, annoying drizzle all winter long - beats the hell out of snow anyday!
My problem is that my wife is completely anti-drug. We've discussed my intention to try MM when I'm a civilian again and our solution is to get a dog. That way I'll smoke outdoors, get more exercise and that poor dog will get walked about eight times a day...even if I have to carry him.
Posted By: tiredofpain Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/08/08 05:21 PM
Wake and bake!
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/09/08 01:14 PM
Man oh man, I'm moving to your town!! The weather sounds fab! Here's it's either 90 with humidity making it feel like 110, or freezing and lots of snow! There is no spring or fall any more, they only last a few weeks then goes to the extremes.
Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/09/08 06:09 PM
aloha, raquel

that alice b toklas recipe for has brownies is not really the right way to do it.

if you go back...right here...several many pages there is an explanation for making
a canabis butter, which which cooking pot works great...one benefit of smoking
is you have better control of dosage and time of exposure (you can do just one hit at a time)...when ya eat stuff it's got to work thru your system; you can't cancel the experiment.
Posted By: tiredofpain Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/09/08 07:29 PM
The more the merrier!

I was born and raised in the Great Lakes region which has the hateful sort of climate you describe. As a young Greenpeacer, I headed out on a grand journey to travel to the Pacific Ocean, down the west coast to California, back across the South to the Atlantic and then back up the coast to my hometown. I made it to Vancouver and that was the end of my walkabout - I figured, it can't get any better than this!

Maybe when all y'all 'mericans get up here we can get together for a theraputic "tea party"...oh wait a minute, not the Boston Harbour sort of tea party.
Posted By: Michelle70605 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/10/08 10:02 PM
I haven't read the whole thread but I'm just going to say I approve of the use of marijuana....umm...for medical purposes...of course!
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/11/08 02:21 PM
Yeah I'm in NYS, I lived in Cazenovia for a bit for school and that lake effect snow was a bother! Man it snowed soooo much!

I've thought of going to canada, but hear you guys are getting more conservative too!? But if McCain wins I'm totally coming! My husband has his masters, knows a bit of a second language and I have a college degree and could pick up a second language fairly quickly. I think we have enough points to do it. We just need jobs.
Posted By: tiredofpain Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/12/08 05:40 AM
Geez gardengirl, with those credentials you could come up here and run the joint!

As for politics (shhhhh, I hear it's against the rules) we have our moments of temporary insanity where we hire these bozos and then spend the times in-between trying to sort out the mess they made.

Of course, every person, regardless of who they vote for will agree with my comment...who says you can't please all of the people all of the time?
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/15/08 01:05 PM
(shhhhh...) that's the great thing about our nation (and yours too) we don't have to agree with everyone! Everyone has their own ideas about government and can proudly say it without fear (well much fear.) There is no good candidate for me, I don't agree even 80% with anyone, but that's good too because then we all have to work at running our country, it's our country, they work for us, we pay them, and yes we may not all agree, but that's what's great!

(i figured I'm ok talking a bit of politics since Med MJ is a political issue)
Posted By: parttimestoic Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/16/08 12:47 AM
Elizabeth May said yesterday that she's in favour of legalizing marijuana, taxing it and discouraging people from using it like cigarettes.

I figure the amount of money the government could bring in from taxes and savings from all the police time and court time that goes into the marijuana production and distribution system, that government should be all for it.

But we still have this antiquated 'war on drugs' notion from the Regan era in the United States hampering what should be a flourishing movement.

Just thought i'd throw that in there.

Colin
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/16/08 12:41 PM
I read that if they tax it it would wipe out our national debt within a couple years. The war on drugs is a scam. Our jails are 3/4 full of drug offenses, and about 3/4 of those are for pot! When will they learn that jail time will not help a drug addict?! They need more help then anything a jail cell can give them. Spend the resources from taxing pot on drug reform, think of how much better we could help people!
Posted By: molly_b Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/18/08 05:12 AM
What kind of conversation did I just stumble into here?! I haven't really spent any time in this forum. I should rethink that. I am allergic to the stuff. It makes me all itchy and makes me cough (beyond the norm). But I had many years to find that out.

When my mom was sick last year I tried to get her to try some, but it was too late at that point. The positive effects of marijuana on appetite and nausea and pain make it a wonder drug for cancer and other illness - it's absolutely inhumane that they make sick people jump through hoops to get treatment. Grr. It makes me mad.
Hi all,

Just wanted to share an experience with you that you may want to file for future reference.

In my efforts to consume thc without smoking marijuana, I made some canna-butter yesterday. It was pretty simple to do.

So when it came time to test it out, I started with a small amount melted in some hot water. I drank it, waited for an hour or so and felt nothing. SO i figure i made it too weak. So i put in quite a bit more and drank it down. Two hours later, around 11pm, I started feeling pretty strangely. By midnight I felt like I was floating and could barely function.

I spent several sleepless hours trying to get myself down from the highest thc induced high of my life. It did the trick, it numbed the body. But took in way too much of the stuff amd got way too high. Blood pressure was up and I was even having some minor hallucinations. So I think moderation is the key when ingesting cannabis extract

Colin
Posted By: Lazarus Re: Medicinal Marijuana - a word to the wise - 09/22/08 10:47 PM
One of my sons told me he ate some once and it made him higher than "high"

Sounds like its a bit tricky because of the delayed reaction.
Posted By: Lazarus Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/17/08 09:20 PM
Well,

it just so happens that when I was doing some remodeling In all the bedrooms I found some mj that belonged to one of my sons.

I confiscated it and then found myself smoking it. I find it does take the edge off and I sleep very well.

I will probably have to pay my son for it

His stash was pretty much on par with what I smoked in my teens. I had some other stuff though that was green and extremely fragrant and with that stuff one or two puffs is definitely all I need. I never really saw fresh fragrant pot like that when I was younger. I suspect that what they say about the potency of pot these days being stronger is VERY true.

I think I'm going to get on an "authorized user list"

Posted By: Knut Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/26/08 01:35 AM
Hi there.

I have been growing my own from 2001 to 2006 to lower the pain from AS. I had a few strains called "Northern Light x Shiva" and "White Rhino". The NLxShiva (mostly indica) was nearly perfect, but I got too stoned. I got a little bit paranoid with the White Rhino (indica/sativa mix), but If I harvested it in flowering week # 5 or 6, it did not get that high.

I am looking for the perfect Marijuana indoor strain for AS and arthritis. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted By: parttimestoic Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/26/08 01:50 AM
Hey Knut,

I too would like to find a strain with a low paranoia factor. I've heard indicas are the way to go but they're hard to find if you're buying it, it seems. Perhaps i'll have to become a farmer.

Let me know what you find out.

C
Posted By: Shyguy Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/26/08 06:03 AM
#1 White Widow. Quite odorous when growing.
#2 Kemo
Posted By: toni Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/27/08 01:18 AM
I wish it wasn't illegal. I don't know where to get the stuff. I'm afraid I'll get arrested if I try to buy of the streets.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 11/06/08 10:29 AM
legalized in Michigan yesterday.

sue
Posted By: CiaraCeasg Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 11/07/08 01:56 PM
Massachussettes decriminalized the possession of an ounce or less of marijuana to a mere $100 civil fine. The measure passed by a landslide margin of 65 to 35 percent. The state legislature could repeal or amend the measure which is set to become law 30 days after it is set before the Governor in the end of November ... so any one know the most direct flights from Houston??
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 11/07/08 04:49 PM
I've been thinking about joining our local Compassion Centre. They have the tincture too. How does it work for you? What are the effects like?

Thanks ahd hugs,
Posted By: CiaraCeasg Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 11/08/08 12:06 AM
Tincture, huh? No... no I like to smoke it. Yeah, not lots, not crazy.... it really helps me with all the muscular reactions. I have tried flexeril, valium, hydrocodone and others I can't remember over the last 20 years for the muscle spasms that have accompanied the skeletal stiffening, and they just haven't worked as well. My spine has straightened enough to make me 3/4 of an inch taller (so I've got that going for me) and this has made for rock hard muscle issues. Only pot relaxes. And with out all of the horrible cloudy brain issues (now of course there are other clarity issues, but nowhere near as unpleasant as the major pain killers...) I also find the relaxation lasts into the next day. Or maybe it is a deep enough relaxation to outlive the high. Seriously, 1 hit a night makes the difference. I'm a Mom, I don't go nuts.
Posted By: piper Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 11/11/08 02:16 AM
I have heard that tinctures give you a "slow down" type of feeling that last around 5 hours, and provide pain relief. I've also heard that smoking gives you a quicker up feeling and pain relief a for a few hours and sometimes lasts longer, but has the lung effects, and increased appetite. I would not drive with either. Eat citrus fruit with.

Posted By: KellyS Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/15/08 07:51 PM
Any thoughts about the "munchies"? I do not need to gain weight. I do not have any trouble eating, in fact, that is most definately the way I cope with stress, pain related or otherwise. Any ideas on how to not eat but still get some relief?
Posted By: CiaraCeasg Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/15/08 11:14 PM
Hi KellyS, sorry, no suggestions for avoiding the munchies other than make them for dinner, then go to bed.... (which will also be much better )
And check out this more current thread;

]https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=support1&Number=324143&Searchpage=1&Main=324143&Words=&topic=1&Search=true#Post324143]
Posted By: Texan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/17/08 07:34 PM
For munchies you could try to eat on hard candies, anything that takes a long time to eat, but keeps you busy. Gum works well for me actually. The other option is not to start. Because once you start you're going to eat everything in sight.
Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/06/09 06:53 PM
bumpity bump

there ought to something 'funny' on the first page of this forum
Posted By: tiredofpain Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/07/09 06:11 AM
Funny thing you should bump this one alohaben. Now that I'm a civilian once more, I've been thinking about the wonders of weed. It's probably something I'll save for socializing with my buddies on the mainland though.

I mean, come on, even Rush Limbaugh would have to admit that it makes more sense than taking Methotrexate!

Chris
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/30/09 06:07 PM
"For munchies you could try to eat on hard candies, anything that takes a long time to eat, but keeps you busy. Gum works well for me actually. The other option is not to start. Because once you start you're going to eat everything in sight."

just don't keep any in the house.
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/30/09 06:10 PM
Quote:

legalized in Michigan yesterday.

sue

NY has decriminalized, only $100 fine if you get caught.

Personally I'm too scared to buy it. I have no clue where to even get it. I'm hoping we'll be the next MM state cause my pain killers aren't cutting it anymore and I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Posted By: mooman Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/31/09 03:20 AM
tell me how on gods green earth does weed heal arthritis? would probably be better off selling it or trading up for real painkillers?
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/31/09 04:02 AM
it doesn't "heal arthritis". it would be for the pain. muscle relaxant, etc.

part of the wikipedia page for marijuana states:

"Cannabis is established to help with
Nausea and vomiting, anorexia, and weight loss.

Cannabis is well-confirmed in treating
spasticity, painful conditions, especially neurogenic pain, movement disorders, asthma, glaucoma."

sue
Posted By: Megan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/31/09 06:15 AM
An interesting article I came across:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2008 Jan;9(1):65-75.

Cannabinoids for the treatment of neuropathic pain: clinical evidence.

Ashton JC, Milligan ED.
University of Otago, Otago School of Medical Sciences, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Dunedin, New Zealand.

Neuropathic pain is a worldwide epidemic that occurs in 3 to 8% of individuals in industrialized countries and is often refractory to existing treatments. Drugs currently available to target neuropathic pain are, at best, moderately effective and include antidepressants, gabapentin, NMDA receptor antagonists, as well as other anticonvulsants, all of which are limited by their adverse-effect profiles. Cannabinoid drugs are emerging as a promising class of drugs to treat neuropathic pain and have been tested for analgesic effects in a range of chronic pain conditions. Data show that cannabinoids are often effective in individuals with refractory pain receiving concomitant analgesic drugs. Clinical studies on cannabinoids for the treatment of neuropathic pain are reviewed, focusing on clinical trials published within the last five years. Data from large, well-controlled studies show that cannabinoids are moderately effective in reducing chronic pain and that side effects are comparable to existing treatments, suggesting that cannabinoids can play a useful role in the management of chronic pain. Like other drugs for neuropathic pain, cannabinoids have a dose titration that is limited by psychoactive side effects. The development of cannabinoid drugs to target neuropathic pain with improved therapeutic ratios will depend upon the development of cannabinoid treatments with reduced psychoactivity.
Posted By: Megan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/31/09 06:22 AM
Another interesting study:

The use of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis

click here for the whole article

Oops, that link might not work.... I'll paste the paper below:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The use of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis

S. Wright1, M. Ware2 and G. Guy1
1 GW Pharmaceuticals pic, Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK, 2 McGill University, Departments of Anaesthesia and Family Medicine, Montreal, Quebac, Canada

SIR, We were interested to read the report by Blake et al. [1] in your journal.

Between 1998 and 2002 we surveyed a sample of 2969 people with various chronic diseases in the UK, with the aim of investigating the reasons for the medicinal use of cannabis [2]. In that survey, arthritis was reported to be among the five most common reasons for the medicinal use of cannabis, and we reported that of those who had reported using cannabis for the relief of their symptoms, 21% did so specifically for the relief of the symptoms of arthritis. The publication of your recent article prompted us into a review of the data collected, in order to determine what proportion of those respondents suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, and how their symptoms responded to the use of cannabis.

Of the 2969 respondents to the survey, 784 (26%) stated that they had ‘arthritis’. Of these, 247 patients indicated that they suffered from rheumatoid or osteoarthritis (the remainder did not specify). A total of 155 respondents stated that they continued to use illicit cannabis for the purpose of symptom relief. Around 111 of them (46%) had rheumatoid arthritis. Respondents were asked to indicate how their condition was affected by the use of cannabis. Of those patients with arthritis who responded to this question, 172 stated that it made them ‘much better’, 53 stated that it made them ‘a little better’ and five stated that it ‘made no difference’. None of the patients indicated that their arthritis was worsened by the use of cannabis.

Of those respondents who used illicit cannabis for rheumatoid arthritis, 100% indicated that they found it made them either ‘much better’ (72%) or ‘a little better’ (28%). We can conclude from this review of the original data, that the illicit use of cannabis by patients with rheumatoid arthritis is widespread, and that there is anecdotal evidence of effectiveness.

At that time, the authors pointed to the need for clinical studies of quality-controlled cannabis preparations to explore these conclusions in a more scientific and systematic way. We now note that the results of a formal randomized and controlled clinical study of the use of a medicinal grade of a cannabis extract validates this anecdotal evidence of the benefit of cannabinoids in the relief of the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. It will be of considerable interest to observe whether other conditions for which only anecdotal evidence currently exists may be validated in a similar manner in clinical trials of standardized cannabis preparations.

The authors have declared the conflicts of interest as G.G. is the Executive Chairman and founder of GW Pharmaceuticals. M.W. has participated in and received honoraria for CME articles from Bayer, Valeant and Solvay, and has received grants from GW and Valeant. S.W. is a full-time employee of GW.

References

Blake DR, Robson P, Ho M, Jubb RW, McCabe CS. Preliminary assessment of the efficacy, tolerability and safety of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology 2006;45:50–2.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
Ware MA, Adams H, Guy GW. The medicinal use of cannabis in the UK: results of a nationwide survey. Int J Clin Pract 2005;59:291–5.[CrossRef][ISI][Medline]
Posted By: mooman Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/01/09 04:12 PM
well I tell you the truth you want increased movement and no pain, they should look to LSD with reduced psychoactivity, a good friend of mine suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and he will agree that the pain relief is not like the pain relief of painkillers but rather a more mental approach, ie stress and relaxing, the long term usage though does not help this as your tolerance builds. Still I suppose if it helps you to live and not to want to end your life well then by all means go ahead as has been discussed in here and what seems to be a contineud point is that there are worse things you could do.

iain
Posted By: mooman Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/01/09 04:13 PM
sort of say like amitryptiline
Posted By: tiredofpain Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/01/09 05:01 PM
Well my "electric" days are long behind me but I would certainly never recommend that any person try acid for pain relief. I'm also convinced that no doctor would ever prescribe it for pain either...not even Owsley or Leary would do anything that foolish...of course they used to.

In my experience, LSD is a very powerful hallucinogen and I've known more than a few people who never quite made it back from their trips completely. I'll take brutal pain any day over becoming an acid-casualty WITH pain.

Just one ex-day-tripper's opinion though

Chris
Posted By: tiredofpain Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/01/09 05:04 PM
I wouldn't say that at all.

Chris
Posted By: mig Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/01/09 05:13 PM
Very wise words Chris. I have one dear friend who never really made it back, also.

Why some do and some don't seems a mystery.
Posted By: Megan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/01/09 05:54 PM
Well there definitely aren't any studies on AS and LSD that I can find! lol
Posted By: Tnate Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/02/09 04:04 AM
Wouldn't smoking marijuana actually cause inflammation?
Posted By: Megan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/02/09 04:43 AM
From what I understand, it doesn't increase inflammation... an immune response causes inflammation and I'm not certain if marijuana can cause an immune response? Maybe Sue could answer that one? Sorry I'm not more help!
Posted By: mooman Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/02/09 04:00 PM
ha chris I am not saying people should take acid for pain, but if when compared to weed in the article they talk about removing the pyscho active chemicals. I on the other hand have seen people lose it on weed. I am against the fact that weed is the cure, and I was stating that if you going to go down that path then people should go down more, and seriously acid works from a pain perspective and futhermore it increases movement that was not there.

anyhow I dont reccommend that people take any of these. Merely am talking from my and others experiance.

and ha I am not talking about taking a dosage anywhere near owsleys or learys RDA per day :P

Saying all this I do not do anything anymore
Posted By: mooman Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/02/09 04:02 PM
I meant the day after sorry
Posted By: mooman Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/02/09 04:10 PM
ha heres one for you.

The very last time I took acid I was breakdancing. Could I even think of breakdancing on any other substance even drunk ( i mean to the extent that I could not feel pain ) - the answer is no because movement was still the same however numb. I never thought of this before now well in relation to movement. And as tiredofpain puts it and as I have said before because of sideeffects I would not reccomend people try this. But when I saw your article saying that they should try the marijuana if they could remove the negatives I thought maybe that could be said about a few things

I dont think studies into LSD went any further from a medical perspective. The court of public opinion has not held as strong as the one that supports marijuana...which has been proven to help people with chemo. In fact there are many funny little plants out there and I am sure it would take a lot of medical resources and time to try and work out which one is for what. How long did it take to get to biologicals for AS?

We all are in many ways trying to fight our own types of pain and illnesses, I respect that and I always will.

Iain
Posted By: tiredofpain Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/03/09 02:59 AM
Fair enough mooman, the beauty of it is that no one can really say one way or another whether it might work or not - no one seems to have taken a look at it.

I'd say you are right on the money about unknown possibilities as well. We cannot approach science or medicine with closed or narrow minds if we are to hope for achieving "miraculous" cures. Anything is possible.

Having said that, I would still warn people against the wisdom of using blotter or purple-microdots for pain relief...lol

Chris

(gotta run, this is good TV night!)
Posted By: Megan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/03/09 06:22 PM
I hear ya Mooman. I figure the spondy monster is so evil and affects us all so differently, we owe it to ourselves to do whatever works. Can't say I've done any drugs besides the pharmaceutical type, but I know alot of people who get relief from using the green stuff. Would be nice if they could remove the "negatives".
It's too bad your breakdancing days are over - that would be fun to see. ha! I'm afraid if I tried, I may live up to the name.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/04/09 12:21 AM
Quote:

sort of say like amitryptiline

no, like flexeril, zanaflex, skelaxin, etc

sue
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/04/09 12:23 AM
Quote:

From what I understand, it doesn't increase inflammation... an immune response causes inflammation and I'm not certain if marijuana can cause an immune response? Maybe Sue could answer that one? Sorry I'm not more help!

in the reading, it said probably better to ingest some other way than smoking because (like with cigarettes) the smoke is unhealthy......that's just what i read.

sue
Posted By: mooman Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/04/09 12:31 AM
I know an elderly couple (one a former police inspector) and they make a tea for blood pressure. Neither can smoke due to problems with their lungs.
Posted By: trudi Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/04/09 03:36 AM
Quote:

in the reading, it said probably better to ingest some other way than smoking because (like with cigarettes) the smoke is unhealthy......that's just what i read.

sue

hmmm.. my homeopathist friend says I should eat weed..... making me think but I'm not a smoker of any kind and not sure about anything in that department.. never have gone there & not sure I wanna!
Posted By: CiaraCeasg Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/04/09 03:55 AM
I have to say, it makes my life better in every way.
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/07/09 01:49 PM
I recently wrote to Obama and my senators about this. Never heard back from them, big surprise. I'd love for our state to become the next, as I've said our house passed it and it's now up to the senate. I hope they do something soon.
Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/14/10 06:27 PM
bump...from the past
Posted By: EricaK Medicinal Marijuana - 10/14/10 11:10 PM
I have read that pulmonary fibrosis is a possible complication of AS, so it seems counter-intuitive to smoke anything. Is there any other way to ingest it safely, and still do the little bit at a time method? Does anyone know?
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/16/10 08:03 PM
Hi Erika, the quick answer is, yes there is. grin

The long answer is:

You can eat it, which can be more effective and doesn't give you the head rush (mainly beccaue you aren't asphyxiating yourself). Nature squares and rice crispie squares are very good, as are s'mores.

You can buy (or make, depending on the legalities where you are) a salve that is phenomenally effective. The one I have kills pain in 5 minutes flat. It lasts almost 2 hours, but that's long enough to get you through the moment, doing what you need to do and often I don't have to reapply. There is no high associated with this.

Or, you can buy a vaporizer, which bakes it rather than burning it. You aren't inhaling the smoke at that point, just the vapours, which aren't as toxic. The high is similar to edibles, mainly because, again, you aren't asphyxiating yourself.

You can, in places where medicinal MJ is legal, often buy pills or tinctures. I've never tried these, so can't say whether they give you a head buzz. I've heard, however, that the pills aren't quite as effective. Again, I can't speak to that.

It is one of the best pain killers out there and depending which strain you get, is an awesome muscle relaxant and sleep inducer as well. Indica is the muscle relaxant/anti-inflammatory/sleep inducer. It can also depress the mood a little, unfortunately. Sativa is more positive in nature, good pain killer. Usually, anything you buy will be a blend of the two, often a 50/50 or 75/25, but you can also get 60/40 and 80/20. The type you buy will depend on what you need to achieve. If you want an equal mix of pain killer and muscle relaxant, but don't want your mood to dip, then a 50/50 would be good. Or a 60% Sativa/40% Indica.

Hope that helps.

Hugs,
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/16/10 08:08 PM
The Toronto Star had an article on Medicinal MJ yesterday that I thought I would post here. Erika's last post makes it especially germaine.

Treat Marijuana as you would any other drug

One thing to bear in mind along with the exceptionally good health warnings they make is that they are talking about heavy users, people who are doing 3 or more joints a day. Now a joint is subjective, for one thing. Some people roll litttle weeney ones, others roll cannons. I don't suggest rolling cannons. Also, if you are using it correctly, a few puffs to get rolling and then maintaining, you won't be using that many joints a day. If you use a pipe, you can keep the amount reduced as well. But taking it internally or in pill/tincture/salve form would be the healthiest way.

This is not stuff to be played with. If you wouldn't drive on oxycontin or even Tylenol 3s, you probably shouldn't on MJ either. That kind of thing.

Love and hugs,
Posted By: hollyz143 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/17/10 09:58 AM
I live in Texas. I'm sure it will never be legal here; not during my lifetime. I envy those of you in MJ friendly states/countries. Several people who care about me (and know what kind of pain I'm in) have offered to get some for me, but I just can't risk losing my rheumy over it (blood tests every other month).

I wish it was legal here to buy it, grow it, ingest it, smoke it, whatever. To all of you who CAN, have one for me, okay?

Puff, puff, pass...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/17/10 10:32 AM
combustion is old school. http://www.australianvaporizers.com.au/

"virtually no exposure to harmful combustion products using the vaporizing device" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer_(cannabis)

Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/17/10 02:31 PM
Yup, Jet I have one of those. Very different, not as dangerous. The only problem is you have to have a table beside you to put the darned thing on!!! laugh

Hugs,
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/17/10 02:37 PM
Holly, I hope Texas does legalize medicinal in your lifetime. The pain relief is extremely good, especially if you use a salve or the edibles. Very different from puffing and not as 'stunning' if you know what I mean. For me, especially the Autumn I was diagnosed, it means the difference between a full, spasm-free, night's sleep and not. When I was taking NSAIDS regularly, a few puffs on my pipe meant I didn't need to take the Celebrex the pain relief was so good. These days, even tho I'm on a biologic, I still have pain and it still makes the difference. The salve in particular has been a revelation because there's this spot just under my left Occiput that hurts almost non-stop. Nothing touches this, Tylenol 3, Celebrex, Remicade, Enbrel, not even Percocet touched it when I had to take that one time for something else. The MJ salve I use takes that pain away in five minutes flat. It's such a relief.

I just think everyone should have access to it.

Warm hugs,
Posted By: hollyz143 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/17/10 03:33 PM
I wish it was legal here. I mean, I have access to it (only to the kind you'd smoke…and who knows what’s in the stuff that comes off the street) but I would never do anything to jeopardize my relationship with my rheumy. If one of my tests came back positive for illegal drugs, and she dropped me as a patient, I don't know what I'd do.

It really isn't fair. I work, pay my taxes and hurt like hell. I can’t work full days because of the pain (and I own the business, so when I work less, the designers get less work, so they suffer too!). I’m not the mom or wife I am supposed to be. The meds I take aren't enough. I live at a 6-7 daily (on Enbrel). I should have the option of MJ (in whatever form). The way I look at it is that the government, by making it illegal, is taking away my ability to be the fully contributing member of society I would be if I were to live in less pain (and could, therefore, work full days, BE A BETTER MOM, etc.)

I’m sure this is a touchy subject for some. I’m just frustrated that so many of you have relief (that you deserve and have a right to!!) but because of where I live, I don’t have the option. I could move, I guess. “Hey kids, let’s move to _____________ so Mommy can get marijuana legally!” Heh.
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/17/10 06:39 PM
I read this article in Time a month or so ago. It's very good. Talks about the varying laws depending on the state you live in, among myriad other things. Thought you might find it interesting:

The United States of Amerijuana

I hear you, Holly. I wish we all could have access to whatever it takes to get us on our feet and contributing again. I consider myself very lucky to live where I do when it comes to these things, but we've still a ways to go here on several fronts. There are some things that should be universal, world-wide. Good healthcare and easy access to effective medications (whether MJ or a biologic) are two of those things.

Hugs,
Posted By: sunnypower Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/17/10 10:54 PM
hey guys,

vaporizor = good lol

only thing is... coming from the street its not regulated so the effects differ. ive had some that reduces pain and the next day seems inflam is down. But ive also had some that was good at the time but next day soooo achy and painy like a dam hangover! legalizing gets me vote!
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/17/10 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Inanna
there's this spot just under my left Occiput that hurts almost non-stop. Nothing touches this, Tylenol 3, Celebrex, Remicade, Enbrel, not even Percocet touched it when I had to take that one time for something else. The MJ salve I use takes that pain away in five minutes flat. It's such a relief.

I just think everyone should have access to it.

interestingly, i have that spot too. it was my first spot even before the rest of my body became involved. a few things (PT, ultrasound, traction) have given it temporary relief. the KIP gel (ketoprofen/ibuprofen/piroxicam) helps too. i've found some good relief with topical stuff lately, like the KIP gel or flector patches, thus soon as its legal in NY state, i'm asking for that salve, it sounds awesome! so glad you've told us about it!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/18/10 12:44 AM
"DA BUDDHA" is my friend.(made in USA)
ive told plenty of Dr's (rhuemy's, surgeons, GP etc etc i puff the stuff). they dont have a problem at all beside the obvious dangers of working or driving high or using power tools after a puff.
Posted By: inkyfingers Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/19/10 04:15 AM
Holly - you don't have to really worry about being caught out on a blood test, unless they are purposely screening you for opiates and related substances.

If you are having ESR, liver function etc - these are specific tests done by a specific technique - you could have all manner of other substances in your blood that these sorts of tests wouldn't reveal - are you having a tox screen routinely? - probably not, so you should be fine to stoke up the vapourizer and Breathe Deeply! laugh
Posted By: Megan Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/19/10 12:55 PM
Holly, I've been prescribed nabilone - it's a synthetic that is sorta kinda like mj. It's in pill form, but I'm not sure if it's available in Texas or not. Maybe something to look into until you can try the real thing...
Posted By: Bedeer Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/19/10 03:07 PM
Thank you Earthwomen those visuals are great even without the herb.
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/20/10 06:45 PM
Sue, once medicinal is legal where you are, unless a dispensary has it, you may have to make the salve yourself. There are recipes on the internet, thankfully. Although, I have yet to find one with exactly the ingredients mine has.

Now that I think on it, my Occiput has troubled me since I was about 18. Wish I'd had this stuff 30 years ago!!!

Warm hugs,
Posted By: Inanna Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/20/10 06:49 PM
It's hard to know what you're getting on the street and what it's been cut with. Once you get into medicinal dispensaries, you have some control over what you get. Also, you know it's pure and not combined with some of the scary chemicals that inscrupulous street sellers (as opposed to honest ones) cut it with.

Hugs,
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/20/10 09:55 PM
thanks kat!

ok,

step one: have NY state legalize it.

step two: contact kat for more guidance on the magic lotion potion!

step three: show muscle spasms whose in control with magic lotion potion!

so glad you talk about it here, thank you! heart
Posted By: alohaben Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/13/11 06:54 PM
three ????????
Posted By: Just73 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 02/14/11 03:18 AM
I don't know about the rest of the world but we have these legally available in NZ www.kronic.co.nz it's "herbal" weed legally bought over the counter at a gas station or corner shops.

I saw a report on the news one night and thought I'd give it a go not thinking it would work that well , well, I was pleasantly surprised, $15 (about $11USD) got me a pre-rolled joint so compared to the real stuff it's a little expensive although you could comfortably share this with 4 people.

My wife and I tried it and we were completely blowin away, it gave us exactly the same symptoms as the real stuff BUT easier on the lungs and no hangover side affects, it tasted like we were smoking flower petals too so it had a nice taste.

I haven't had one for a while now cause I tried it again after a few beers and my world started spinning too much if you know what I mean, but if you have some sensibly then it's a good time and totally relaxes you.
Posted By: sijam Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/19/11 01:27 PM
It really dose take the edge off the pain,However if your not used to useing it you must take small puffs, If you have not done it before starting with the 'good stuff' as it were will really knock you sideways. And you may spend all evening watching a blank t.v screen and attempting to eat all the sweets and chocolate you can get you hands on hehehehe.

It does work!

Oh and dont forget to pass the dutchy on the left hand side smile
Posted By: Pick3 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 05/18/11 07:51 PM
I read in the paper that the state of Ohio(oHIGHo)mite have it on the ballet this fall clap clap clap

Tommy

P.S. It's about time!
Posted By: Scottyj Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 06/12/11 07:41 AM
You people are so lucky to have a government liberal enough to consider that Pot might have some benefits. Over here in Aus it is OK in 2 states (ACT, SA) but everywhere else it is forbidden. No medical option that I am aware of here in Queensland.
Posted By: Roderick_H Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 08/26/11 09:38 PM
Hey all, first post, great site smile
I have noticed the Indicas make my pain worse. dont know why but every time I am in a lot of pain and smoke a heavy indica I stiffen even worse. Yet when I smoke Sativa's they don't stiffen me up as much. I think its because it takes my mind off of the pain where as the Indicas make me more aware of the pain if that makes sense
Posted By: lar84 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/02/11 11:57 PM
Personally, I don't do it often, but when I do I definitely feel like I was before AS, combined with NSD. Actually I wish I had it more often. It works for me like a muscle relaxer. Just takes that last bit of edge off, and helps me forget about having AS. Washington DC is legalized medicinally, but its not worth traveling the 3 1/2 hours to find a doc to prescribe it, so I just go through other sources. Once it becomes legalized you better bet I'll have a stash and a vaporizer. wink
Posted By: lar84 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/02/11 11:59 PM
And Roderick, I agree, the sativa variety works better for helping distract the pain.
Posted By: cantSTOPkenny Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/12/11 03:56 PM
Hi people - I am new to the forum, does anyone take Cannabis alongside using Humira or simillar?

Thanks
Ken
Posted By: Shyguy Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/14/11 03:33 AM
I don't think I would have lasted as long as I did on Simponi if I didn't. I had lots of side effects that were none too pleasant. I've started Remicade now and not planning to quit taking MM any time soon. It has helped more than any drug I've tried, and trust me, I have be prescribed more pills than I care to remember over the last 30 years.
Posted By: roh8880 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 02/27/12 06:49 PM
Gotta try growing when I get out!
Posted By: BodSquad Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/19/12 03:10 PM
It does help greatly and has very little side effects
Posted By: ramakentesh Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/20/12 09:52 AM
anyone find that marijuana actually makes them flare up real bad?
Posted By: Shyguy Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/20/12 04:37 PM
Nope.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 06/14/12 05:35 PM
just another hurdle for medical marijuana:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/14/medical-marijuana-crackdown-landlords_n_1595849.html

will we now have to cross the border for this medication as well?
Posted By: saltire Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/17/12 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Inanna
Just one? It usually takes me 3 or 4. I love the feeling of my lungs expanding as I inhale. <br><br>Hugs,<br><br>[color:fuchsia]<big>Kat</font color=fuchsia></big><br><br>

heh heh heh....hippie smile
Posted By: BeckyJ Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 02/08/13 06:31 PM
It has become my last and only option.. I have talked to dr.s about it ( what a joke ), so here is a list of side effects, I thought would lighten a mood when the pain is killing.
the munchies , red eyes, the urge to watch cartoons , forgetting what you were doing ( more than likely you were dwelling on the pain ), the giggles ( oh the horror !), patience ( that is definitely a bad side effect ), paranoia ( tho cartoons and video games clear that up fast ) tho if I have a friend over, or my mom ( she's a talker ) No paranoia ... probably because I am concentrating hard to follow their conversations. No one knows what I am trying except my bff, who gave it to me a year ago, and I just tried it yesterday out of frustration and desperation. So is it worth the risk ? at this point yes.
Posted By: pattycake Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/07/13 10:58 PM
I've given thought to MM many a time but never got up the nerve to actually try and get my hands on it ( geez, this wasn't a problem when I was a college student).

Question for those in the know ( cause I really can't sit here long enough to read through this entire thread--it may have been answered. I have just been dx'ed with dry eye. The eye doctor doesn't know if it's due to the arthritis or the biologic ( enbrel). Does anyone know if MM would help or hurt?
Posted By: BeckyJ Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/08/13 10:46 PM
I know the college vs. adult issues... I know no one who uses MM, or uses it period , but I keep my hopes up that I will find a Dr. who will say, " Hey, lets give it a try, we might be able to save your liver from pain meds."
Posted By: BeckyJ Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/08/13 10:47 PM
Good info Jam2013, thank you .
Posted By: TheTombe Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/25/13 05:30 PM
Hi there,
my first time on the site =D

I am experimenting with something completely new
(Yay, another something new)

I planted bushes of marijuana in our backyard,
took the leaves and let them dry.
I then used a pestle and mortar to grind all the dry leaves into a powder. I am now going to start taking in this powder with water. Maybe there is some special chemical in the leaves....maybe not. I unfortunately don't have time to sit around and be stoned.

Greetings from South Africa.
Posted By: jamesdl Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/27/13 05:13 PM
Cannabis oil cures cancer. If you or a loved one has cancer I recommend you looking into Rick Simpson RSO oil. Take a few minutes to read over the testimonials flooding in his Facebook page and check the studies showing the proof.

As for AS, yes, it helps inflammation no doubt. many have touted the oils effectiveness. helps MS, COPD, RA and much more.

I helped a man cure his skin cancer first hand. When I had seen it cure on the outside I knew it was possible on the inside. I have friends that have been cured from it. Research is showing cannabis will stop inflammation and also helps stop damage from occurring. The pot I smoked in my 20s could have been helping ease the joint damage.

from Rick Simpsons site,

"I have been taking the hemp oil for the past 60 days with tremendous positive success for a chronic pain condition I have had since I was 18 years of age. For the first time that I can remember, I have little or no pain with the Ankylosing Spondylitis I have had to suffer with all my life. My kidney and liver function were damaged from the years of anti-inflammatory medication leaving me with a chronic pain condition on top of what I already had, that had to be dealt with by using addictive pain drugs. I spent years laying on my back being unable to move due to the damage caused by the disease and the drugs used to deal with the pain. Although I was able to eventually stop all pharmaceutical drugs that were only prolonging and increasing my pain, I was only just existing until a good friend mentioned the tears to me, asked me if I'd try it, they gave me a sample and your website to study. I began taking the hemp oil during a flare-up that was leading me back from where I had just come from. Within two hours of starting the Phoenix Tears program I began to feel my body relax and the pain immediately diminish. I slept that night like I had never before. A deep sleep with complete relaxation, something I had never experienced in my adult life. Each day there has been a great reduction in my pain level allowing me to once again continue with my work. I am so very grateful to you for this.
–BEST WISHES, G.D. AB CANADA"

"I personally can attest to the curative powers of Cannabis Oil! My best friend has liver cancer and was told he has only eight months left here on earth to live. He was told by his oncologist - Nothing can help him except chemo and radiation and it may prolong his life by a year to a year and a half.

I told my friend about Rick Simpson and how the cannabis oil kills cancer. He decided not to undergo any conventional treatment that the oncologist had suggested. He stood defiant.

He started the Cannabis oil treatment and put his trust in the Lord.

He had another MRI after 6 weeks of eating this sacred oil and to his surprise his cancer is disappearing! The tumor has shrunk by 2 centimeters in length and width in SIX weeks!!!

My friend continues to take this natural medicine and has (very high) hopes of complete remission in a matter of weeks. It may take longer but that is just fine with him!

He has never consumed cannabis in his life. He always believed that it was the scourge of the nation. He was told that it takes your motivation away. We were all told about how cannabis was nothing more than a weed that should be looked down upon.

Well, he realizes now, that everything he has heard about it, the propaganda of how it ruins lives and so on - Was A LIE!

He has never been more (MOTIVATED) to Live! Cannabis is saving his life and cannabis is saving many lives everyday." Jose Gerard

March 19
"It's the main reason I left Wisconsin and came to Denver. Told my doc. I have my concentrates now so I don't need the narcotics anymore. My oncologist in Wisconsin that couldn't do [*bleep*] for my stage 4 colorectal cancer called cannabis funny medicine. I fired him on the spot and told the secretary to get me a real doctor!

A year ago I was supposed to be dead in 3 months. Thanks to the Rick Simpson oil I'm now healthier than my doctor is. I've already kicked cancer's [*bleep*] and now i'm working on beating the Parkinson's.

Don't listen to your doctors. Do your research. Cannabis CURES cancer and many other things too!" Lee Grimm

"I was diagnosed with kidney cancer in September 2012 and have refused chemotherapy treatment. I am 38. My path so far involved removing my right kidney, the cancer had reached my lymph nodes. My cancer was a grade 4 tumor, very aggressive with a sarcomatoid component. A very bad prognosis. I made huge diet changes & started ingesting cannabis oil in December 2012. My treatment choice consists of:

Cannabis oil daily.
PH Miracle diet, 7.4 ph
Juicing organic vegetables daily.
Avoid all processed food.
Cut ALL sugars out of my diet.
I Avoid all dairy, Almond milk is a great alternative.
High vitamin C intake, I eat organic lemons daily.
Seeds from 2 organic apples daily (B17)
Some fish and a little free range chicken
High omega 3 intake via flax oil. also omega 3 fish oils with high EPA.
Lots of unpasturized almonds, berries, organic vegetables, no red meat.

I am also looking to purchase a water ioniser that alkalizes drinking water to 9.5PH to really alkalize my system. This combined with excellent nutrition combined with cannabis oil I hope will keep me cancer free.

My last scan results as of January 5th 2013 came back Cancer free. I will continue my treatment path and update my results. I have another scan in May 2013." Simon Coleman

"I am so proud to be married to such a generous and brilliant man. My husband, Jake, made and gave Rick Simpson oil to an young woman (one of his patients)who was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer twice, and the second time was not given much hope for any conventional treatment by her oncologist.

She took the 60 grams of RSO in 90 days and went for an MRI today and she was told by the doctor she is now cancer free.

I feel so blessed to be part of this movement of saving people's lives and healing them with this safe, natural plant. Rick Simpson you are a true hero. Love & light." Sara Burton Franz

Just ask about more cases and scientific studies, there are hundreds of them, from pets to humans.

There is a difference in medicinal quality however from just smoking a joint to making the oil and ingesting it or suppository.
Posted By: Pea Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 06/12/13 11:47 PM
Well my pain specialist thought I should try some m.j. cream so now that it's legal, I got my letter from him and went and got my cream! Wow, it really helps my Fibro and my Costocondritis! Gave me some honey and candies to if I have a sleepless night.
Posted By: hendrixreed Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 06/30/13 11:29 PM
Hi
New to this
Anyone recommend a good vaporizer
Posted By: zac Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/12/13 02:43 PM
Best portable vaporizer would be Pax. $180-$250 but a fine piece of equipment that charges from a dock.

Vaporizing is a BIG help with lung health, especially if you are on any of the TNF inhibitors that drop immune system (enbrel).
Posted By: Basti Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/19/13 09:54 AM
I have the Volcano Digit Vaporizer (http://www.storz-bickel.com/shop_eur/index.php/cat/c1_VOLCANO-Sets.html) and am very happy with it. Only disadvantage is the high price. No more sleepless nights!
Posted By: seb Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/13/13 02:34 AM
Originally Posted By: jamesdl
Cannabis oil cures cancer. If you or a loved one has cancer I recommend you looking into Rick Simpson RSO oil. Take a few minutes to read over the testimonials flooding in his Facebook page and check the studies showing the proof.

As for AS, yes, it helps inflammation no doubt. many have touted the oils effectiveness. helps MS, COPD, RA and much more.

I helped a man cure his skin cancer first hand. When I had seen it cure on the outside I knew it was possible on the inside. I have friends that have been cured from it. Research is showing cannabis will stop inflammation and also helps stop damage from occurring. The pot I smoked in my 20s could have been helping ease the joint damage.

from Rick Simpsons site,

"I have been taking the hemp oil for the past 60 days with tremendous positive success for a chronic pain condition I have had since I was 18 years of age. For the first time that I can remember, I have little or no pain with the Ankylosing Spondylitis I have had to suffer with all my life. My kidney and liver function were damaged from the years of anti-inflammatory medication leaving me with a chronic pain condition on top of what I already had, that had to be dealt with by using addictive pain drugs. I spent years laying on my back being unable to move due to the damage caused by the disease and the drugs used to deal with the pain. Although I was able to eventually stop all pharmaceutical drugs that were only prolonging and increasing my pain, I was only just existing until a good friend mentioned the tears to me, asked me if I'd try it, they gave me a sample and your website to study. I began taking the hemp oil during a flare-up that was leading me back from where I had just come from. Within two hours of starting the Phoenix Tears program I began to feel my body relax and the pain immediately diminish. I slept that night like I had never before. A deep sleep with complete relaxation, something I had never experienced in my adult life. Each day there has been a great reduction in my pain level allowing me to once again continue with my work. I am so very grateful to you for this.
–BEST WISHES, G.D. AB CANADA"

"I personally can attest to the curative powers of Cannabis Oil! My best friend has liver cancer and was told he has only eight months left here on earth to live. He was told by his oncologist - Nothing can help him except chemo and radiation and it may prolong his life by a year to a year and a half.

I told my friend about Rick Simpson and how the cannabis oil kills cancer. He decided not to undergo any conventional treatment that the oncologist had suggested. He stood defiant.

He started the Cannabis oil treatment and put his trust in the Lord.

He had another MRI after 6 weeks of eating this sacred oil and to his surprise his cancer is disappearing! The tumor has shrunk by 2 centimeters in length and width in SIX weeks!!!

My friend continues to take this natural medicine and has (very high) hopes of complete remission in a matter of weeks. It may take longer but that is just fine with him!

He has never consumed cannabis in his life. He always believed that it was the scourge of the nation. He was told that it takes your motivation away. We were all told about how cannabis was nothing more than a weed that should be looked down upon.

Well, he realizes now, that everything he has heard about it, the propaganda of how it ruins lives and so on - Was A LIE!

He has never been more (MOTIVATED) to Live! Cannabis is saving his life and cannabis is saving many lives everyday." Jose Gerard

March 19
"It's the main reason I left Wisconsin and came to Denver. Told my doc. I have my concentrates now so I don't need the narcotics anymore. My oncologist in Wisconsin that couldn't do [*bleep*] for my stage 4 colorectal cancer called cannabis funny medicine. I fired him on the spot and told the secretary to get me a real doctor!

A year ago I was supposed to be dead in 3 months. Thanks to the Rick Simpson oil I'm now healthier than my doctor is. I've already kicked cancer's [*bleep*] and now i'm working on beating the Parkinson's.

Don't listen to your doctors. Do your research. Cannabis CURES cancer and many other things too!" Lee Grimm

"I was diagnosed with kidney cancer in September 2012 and have refused chemotherapy treatment. I am 38. My path so far involved removing my right kidney, the cancer had reached my lymph nodes. My cancer was a grade 4 tumor, very aggressive with a sarcomatoid component. A very bad prognosis. I made huge diet changes & started ingesting cannabis oil in December 2012. My treatment choice consists of:

Cannabis oil daily.
PH Miracle diet, 7.4 ph
Juicing organic vegetables daily.
Avoid all processed food.
Cut ALL sugars out of my diet.
I Avoid all dairy, Almond milk is a great alternative.
High vitamin C intake, I eat organic lemons daily.
Seeds from 2 organic apples daily (B17)
Some fish and a little free range chicken
High omega 3 intake via flax oil. also omega 3 fish oils with high EPA.
Lots of unpasturized almonds, berries, organic vegetables, no red meat.

I am also looking to purchase a water ioniser that alkalizes drinking water to 9.5PH to really alkalize my system. This combined with excellent nutrition combined with cannabis oil I hope will keep me cancer free.

My last scan results as of January 5th 2013 came back Cancer free. I will continue my treatment path and update my results. I have another scan in May 2013." Simon Coleman

"I am so proud to be married to such a generous and brilliant man. My husband, Jake, made and gave Rick Simpson oil to an young woman (one of his patients)who was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer twice, and the second time was not given much hope for any conventional treatment by her oncologist.

She took the 60 grams of RSO in 90 days and went for an MRI today and she was told by the doctor she is now cancer free.

I feel so blessed to be part of this movement of saving people's lives and healing them with this safe, natural plant. Rick Simpson you are a true hero. Love & light." Sara Burton Franz

Just ask about more cases and scientific studies, there are hundreds of them, from pets to humans.

There is a difference in medicinal quality however from just smoking a joint to making the oil and ingesting it or
suppository.

James,

Where can you get cannabis oil? Is it illegal? Here in New Zealand marijuana is illegal and we don't have medical marijuana. I would imagine that cannabis oil would be illegal too but I have also heard of many success stories from those who have used it.
Posted By: Eddy Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/12/13 06:42 PM
Love my MM but cannot use it during the day to work. Plus, here in NC they can lock you up if you grow it and i hate being in the position of having to make a "dope deal" under cover. Makes an otherwise middle class guy feel like a criminal. Have had AS, or diagnosed for about 37 years now. I am tired of the fight and the roller coaster ride of AS symptoms. Most friends do not understand it, heck, i do not half the time. Fatigue is an awful symptom to me, makes it so hard to do anything. Okay that is enough bitching from me. Got to drag myself up and go shop for my 95 year old mother.
Posted By: Shirley Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/12/13 08:41 PM
Hi, just curious - can anyone point me to any evidence that mmj reduces inflammation in diseases like AS? I've scrolled through a few pages of this thread, but because I have AS I can't do that for too long lol. So far I've only found references to its pain-reducing qualities - not unimportant of course, but I'd be more interested if it actually reduced the inflammation. Not that it's legal here but maybe it will be one day...
Posted By: bettyrawker Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/13/13 05:07 AM
Hi Shirley,

Check out this video on juicing marijuana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-iU9QN0fEM

Life changing story of someone quitting prescription drugs to treat inflammatory diseases including juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, then lupus and then grew into other diseases that left her bed ridden for a few years, until she found a miracle in and juicing raw cannabis.

With juicing they say there is no physical high, just life changing benefits according to those doing it. I already believe in the amazing benefits of juicing, but have not yet juiced cannabis.
Posted By: Shirley Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 10/13/13 07:20 AM
That is interesting thanks, but what I'd really like to see (if it is exists) is the scientific research that stands behind it to get a feel for the risk of side effects, what proportion it helps and how. I know marijuana helps some people with pain, and I found a study suggesting it might help with diabetes of all things, but haven't found any proper studies on it reducing the sort of inflammation we have.

Not that it's legal here, but it would be good to know whether we have another reason to push for it to be legalised for medical use.
Posted By: karenthebaron Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/11/14 11:55 PM
That is really interesting...I've always been leery of having to consider getting a card for my daughter, if for no other reason that smoking is bad for those with AS. Juicing, however...guess we'll have to talk to her doctor about it again. He took a lot of time with us to explain the positives and negatives, and we just haven't pursued it. It's a lot more red tape when you're looking into getting a card for a minor, but anything to help her pain level would be good, and since NSAIDS are now off the table, it may be worth looking at again.

Oh, and Shirley - the way the doctor explained it to me, there are studies out there. He attended a symposium that discussed the different types of pain, ascending and descending, and the types of medications that helped with each. Marijuana was one of the few that addressed both types, per the speaker. So no, wouldn't help the inflammation levels, but supposedly would be one that would help no matter what type of pain signals your nervous system was sending.
Posted By: Dipit_Shrestha Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/21/14 08:13 AM
wow quite a useful information.... if it is useful in killing the pain sometimes taking Medicinal Marijuana would be an good alternatives rather always taking painkillers........
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/22/14 12:33 AM
This is a new article, stating why rheumatology patients shouldn't take medical marijuana.

Not that I agree with it. When our state has it, I want to try it, at least topically as a muscle relaxant.

But its best to hear all sides, make an informed decision after all the evidence, facts, and opinions are known:

http://www.rheumatologynetwork.com/pain/...dical-marijuana
Posted By: Shirley Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/22/14 07:34 AM
Thanks Sue. So basically nobody knows if it's a good idea or not because of "the lack of sound evidence for either positive or negative effects of herbal cannabis in rheumatic conditions" ie because it hasn't been studied enough. I guess there's it's a bit like the low starch diet - not much in it for the drug companies?
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/22/14 10:56 PM
My opinion upon further reflection is that that article that I linked was just an opinion piece from someone anti marijuana.

If it is legal in my state, I plan to try it if I need to.
Posted By: Pea Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/23/14 01:34 AM
Well here is my experience with Medical Marijuana. I don't smoke anything because it's bad for the lungs. I do use Cannabis Cream to rub on my ribs if I have a bad bout of Costocondritis and that is where my Fibro always flares. I have had a great amount of success with the cream. I also have Cannabis candy for the nights when I can't sleep which are about twice a month. I rub the cream on my feet right now because they are hurting so bad I want to sometimes cut them off. So yes, it is good to use and does work. If it isn't strong enough the chemist will make you a special dose. The cream doesn't give you any side effects either which is nice. The candy just gently helps you go to sleep without getting buzzed if you take the right amount. They have everything measured out and dosed from the very weakest amounts to higher doses at the dispensary's here. I live in WA where it's legal.
Posted By: Shirley Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/23/14 06:18 AM
Thanks Possi that sounds like exactly what I need right now! Unfortunately its not legal in NZ.
Posted By: Smiletoday Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/23/14 08:30 AM
Just my 2 cents on the issue...I live in a state where it's legal for medical purposes, and I tried it for pain relief and it made my pain 100x WORSE. My entire body hurt. I don't have fibro, but I imagine that is what fibro feels like. It was awful. I have tried it about 5 times, and every time it is the same.

I have used the rubs, however, and those work great. I bought this clay that I put all over my hands. I was thinking of making my own with bees wax. I also want to try juicing it to see if that would make a difference, but it seems like a lot of work to grow it and juice it everyday.

I totally support medical marijuana, but for me it just isn't a solution. I just wanted to post this for people thinking of trying it because I had no idea it could increase pain so dramatically. I had only heard about it working to reduce pain.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/26/14 06:13 AM
Pea and Smiletoday,

Thanks for the experiential advice.
Posted By: Shyguy Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/26/14 06:52 AM
Hi Smiletoday. Just curious, what strain did you try?
Posted By: Smiletoday Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/30/14 04:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Shyguy
Hi Smiletoday. Just curious, what strain did you try?

Indica. I'm not sure about the specifics other than that. I've considered trying Sativa, but I've heard it can make one feel paranoid and I'm also apprehensive due to my prior painful experiences.
Posted By: EricaK Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/10/14 05:52 AM
Since we are prone to pulmonary fibrosis, should we be smoking?,
Posted By: seb Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/13/14 02:59 AM
I'm kind of hopeful that New Zealand will legalize medicinal marijuana in the near future. I really don't understand why cannabis is illegal. It's been proven to be one of the most powerful natural medicines in the world. THC and cannabanoids within cannabis have been shown to have anti-tumor effects which kill cancer cells. It is also shown to have great effects on patients with Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinsons, Arthritis and a whole wide array of auto-immune diseases. The effects of the cannabanoids suppress the immune system and reduce/prevent the immune system attacking itself affect.

How can marijuana be classified as a drug? It has never killed anyone in its 10,000 year recorded history of human use. More people die from eating peanuts than smoking marijuana.

Seems like many states in America are starting to decriminalize and often legalize medicinal marijuana and marijuana for recreational purposes. Uruguay was recently the first country in the world to fully legalize cannabis. Maybe it's only a matter of time before other countries start to follow this trend.
Posted By: andredenito Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/14/14 05:17 PM
There is a huge amount publicised about the Medicinal effect of Marijuana on Arthritis and similar related disorders to which AS fits in.

Word of warning with smoking:

I used to smoke it when I was much younger & it helped to relax me and alleviate inflammation, but I found that smoking it would lead to chronic chest infections which brought with it intense flair ups. After a long time without it, I have come back out of retirement & I now use it if & when I get a flair up. I will either bake with it or use a vaporiser. I would strongly advise either - they are a much healthier way to consume it, and really helps me when I have a bad day.
Posted By: dlee Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 06/12/14 04:44 AM
I recommend trying high dose of baked goods if you can. Or a combo of baked and vaporiser. You want a lot of it so that you can feel the waves of energy passing through your whole body and you get the urge to tense all your body up and then release the tension. Magic. I haven't experimented enough with this, but I felt there was something to it. I felt those waves of energy to be healing and swear I could feel every cell in my body as the waves of energy washed over me.
Posted By: evand1991 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/18/14 08:32 PM
Hey dunno if this was already asked hear but I wondering what strain is recommened for pain reduction(indica vs sativa? is the Amount of THC vs cbd a factor to consider?

haha i tried some from my buddy the other week and it made me freak out lol and actually made me more paranoid about the pain..im guessing it was a sativa strain.
so im wondering maybe weed just doesnt work for me for pain relief( never had a tolerance for it when i was younger)

love to hear your opinion

Ev
Posted By: evand1991 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/18/14 08:40 PM
Hey dunno if this was already asked hear but I wondering what strain is recommened for pain reduction(indica vs sativa? is the Amount of THC vs cbd a factor to consider?

haha i tried some from my buddy the other week and it made me freak out lol and actually made me more paranoid about the pain..im guessing it was a sativa strain.
so im wondering maybe weed just doesnt work for me for pain relief( never had a tolerance for it when i was younger)

love to hear your opinion

Ev
Posted By: Nancyhou Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/26/14 10:44 PM
You would not have to worry about starch with smoking or tincture.
Posted By: KellyAnn Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/23/14 01:28 AM
Oh how far we have come since this thread was started 13 years ago. I sit in California where I legally smoke and can grow if I want ( I don't) I like the sativa or the "Mexican" weed. A lot of people like the "Indica" which is the other strain out of india and it don't do a thing for me and it is supposed to be the "good stuff" They make salves out of the oils if you don't want to smoke or eat it that you can rub on your painful part. Also cancer patients use it. The pot that is helping little kids with cancer and with seizures use a strain called "Charlettes Web"It has little THC in it (The stuff that gets one high" but has a lot of Canabiloids which help the symptoms of the diseases to stop. IE no more seizures. I use medical marijuana I wait for the day when it is legal for everyone I know in some states like Kansas if they catch u with pot they may take away your pain meds cold turkey for your disease. This happened to a friend of mine there. Anyway I'm spacing out!
Posted By: MikeGinnyMD Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/14/14 12:59 AM
I find this discussion very interesting.

Did anyone here find that pot made the pain WORSE? I loved smoking it recreationally (which is why I stopped... what with being an MD with a DEA license at all), but my back would start to hurt MORE.
Posted By: djlgma Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/17/14 04:23 PM
Hello. I am relatively new to my diagnosis, approximately 1.5 years. And, at first I tried to go with no meds. I researched med. marijuana and have tried vaporizing, hemp oil, cookies. I have found that one cookie at night will carry me through the night usually. I wake up without a hangover. I go to bed before I get the "high" feeling, which I don't want to experience. Also, the vaporizing works for break through pain. Some varieties more than others. The CBD type, which has been developed for more medical reasons, really seemed to help most. I tried Embrel and it helped some but could hardly wrap my head around using a drug that compromises the immune system when the disease is an auto immune disease. So, Ibuprohpen is my friend. I am hopeful that the medical world will do more research on the use of it and find strains that really work, free of harmful chemicals.
Posted By: evand1991 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/22/14 03:13 AM
I have been vaping 9%cbd 4% thc from cannimed before bed...still nothing remarkable to report
Posted By: evand1991 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/22/14 03:15 AM
I have the same problem with stronger weed..maybe try something higher in CBD. But yeah the pain is increased in a weird way..more like im just more aware of it. dunno if there is a difference between sativa or indica that would solve this problem
Posted By: joseph9a Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/23/15 01:28 AM
Marijuana is by far the most effective pain relief I have had and I've had a lot
Posted By: AngH Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/24/15 06:40 AM
Hi I am new to kickas. I am also new to an AS diagnosis - though I've had chronic pain and disability from it for 25 years.

I was getting almost 0 relief from a combination of celebrex, codeine+paracetamol and tramadol. The only thing that worked a bit was the celebrex. The combination mostly just made me very nauseous. For which I took maxalon (which didn't help).

I started trying cannabis at night recently and have had amazing results. It seems to almost eliminate inflammation for over 24+ hours or more. And it gets rid of nerve pain and muscle spasms for 12-24 hrs.

Now I have an appt with a rheumatologist on tuesday, and I just know he is going to want me to trial more modern treatments... maybe tnf antigens or other treatments than anti inflammatories.

My dilemma is, I think maybe the cannabis is the right treatment for me. But how do I know for sure? I don't want to go on to treatments with terrible side effects when cannabis seems to only have good side effects. (I sleep better, I wake up fresher, I feel more alert the next day). But cannabis is not yet legal for medicinal purposes where I live, so I feel kind of forced to follow medical advice, even if its not ideal.

What would you do? Stick to something that finally works? Or follow drs regimen to see if something 'legal' works just as well, and hope there are not bad side effects?

My dad thinks I should follow drs treatment, purely for the legal aspect as well as because I have been very disabled by this condition so if I ever need to go to the gov't about disability, I can't really say its managed by cannabis.

Looking for all perspectives.

Also, does anyone have any easy to understand evidence of cannabis working as an anti inflammatory and tnf antigen?
Posted By: matt1986 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/04/15 05:17 AM
Keep in mind that different marijuana strains have different chemical composition...gives you different effects from the drug slightly...for example a strain that is lower in THC can be a more "mellow" high and with less paranoia...i mean this all varies from person to person and strain to strain but the bottom line is that when you probably first tried alot of things like beer or alcohol or even a soda pop flavour you maybe didnt like it...but next time your in the store you try a different kind of soda pop or alcohol and love it..also hashish and oil which are both made from marijuana have different effects as well...good luck
Posted By: JVentura Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/19/15 03:37 AM
What strain do you use or recommend? I heard only certain strains work for inflammation and pain. Thanks
Posted By: SunnyD1979 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 11/22/15 12:18 AM

I'd also love to hear more about strains to try? I am interested in CBD. I live in the UK but understand CBD can be purchased online from the U.S.
Posted By: L33 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 12/08/15 05:44 PM
I have had mixed reactions on two different occasions when I smoked Marijuana.

The first time I took it for pain my pain increased tremendously and it did not help. The second time I tried from a different supplier and I had good pain relief. I could hardly move my neck with it being so stiff and painful, after having some weed my neck loosened up and I started flexing it in all directions. I even heard some cracking sounds while moving it around.

I think the reason for it not working and then working is because I had purchased two different strains of Stavia
Posted By: NayaBlu Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/21/16 02:35 PM
I'm wondering if there is anyone around that is familiar with medical marijuana, prescribed by a doctor for your ankylosing.

I am in Canada and just received my oil to begin trying it. My condition has gone downhill so fast in the last six months. What a scary situation. Life is changing so quickly and my new setbacks are so life altering.

So I thought the medical marijuana might be the answer to the pain anyway. I've been reading so much good about this. I was adamant that I didn't want THC but after meeting with the doctor, she recommend two different strains.

One dose in the morning that is mostly CBD and the night dose with is to help with insomnia and it has the same amount of CBD as the daytime one but added into it, is THC. I didn't like the idea of that stoned feeling. I think it's a horrific feeling and was told that it's such a small amount that I wouldn't likely feel anything.

My starting dose is .25 ml and I'm to work my way up to where I feel comfortable. Up to 8ml per day or in flower for would equal 1 gram.

So I got the oil on Friday morning and took the first dose. Omgoodness. This one was the daytime one with only a trace of THC. Regardless, something made me as high as a kite. I'm sensitive to drugs so I'll chalk it up to that but really, this is such a small dose.

I developed a headache that is not going away. It's now Monday morning and this headache is still with me. I'm also getting random stabbing pain in crazy spots. One spot being the side of my head, one spot deep in my left leg and then another crazy place was the front of my face. I never had these random things before.

I still feel like I have that stoned, fuzzy feeling and when I take the nighttime one with more THC, I can't seem to fall asleep? I can't figure this out. If the CBD is used to help people with anxiety (as I've read) then why would a doctor prescribe a dose of the THC at bedtime for someone with insomnia. I would think the THC would stir you right up.

Anyway, I find this all so overwhelming and I wonder if this side effect of "fuzzy, stoned, I have zero motivation" will pass after awhile. I am so not a fan of this feeling and I had such high hopes.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks so much. If I can be of any help to any of you, please let me know.
Posted By: boel Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/27/16 06:09 AM
NayaBlu, like so many things (all?) our individual responses vary. The first time I tried medical M, it was a capsule I was given, which was WAY too potent and had two effects. It made me high as a kite, completely loopy, and it made me acutely aware of the pain in my body, in a kind of detached, observer type of way. Where I lay on the bed and thought "Ah, look at how those pain pathways move through my body", yet didn't really care.

Given that experience, you might wonder why I persisted? I am stubborn like that.

I know it's probably better to use the high concentrates, but truth be told I only do that just before going to bed, because I find the dosing very tricky and I don't want to end up feeling high. When you have ingested it, it takes forever and a day to get it out of your system. So I am OK overnight, but for daytime I currently stick with smoking. I know it can't be good for the lungs, but it allows me to dose it just so. I know quickly if I am getting enough pain relief, and if I do make a mistake and take too much it is brief compared to the ingested concentrates.

As for CBD vs THC, I believe in a somewhat balanced approach myself. Again, I suspect individual experiences vary, but for me a VERY high CBD with no THC to balance it actually gives me fight or flight syndrome, I feel very rushed and adrenalized. If I use a 1/1 ratio of CBD and THC or a 2 / 1 is OK as well, I get much better results. Different strains act differently, even when they are virtually the same CBD/THC content, so it can take a lot of trial and error to find what works for you.

I am so grateful to live in a state where it is legal to use. I like it ever so much better than Vicodin.
Posted By: boel Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 03/27/16 06:11 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention... some very high THC strains have been very effective for me with pain, without giving me a high feeling. I don't know if that is because the pain receptors block the high? But THC can definitely work on pain.
Posted By: msmart Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/01/16 08:03 PM
As one who has smoked cannabis most of my adult life (I'm now 55 and very successful, so there go the lazy stoner arguments) allow me to offer some suggestions to new consumers. First and foremost, just relax and go very slow to start. Whether you're smoking, vaping, or using edibles or oils, the amount to 'do the job' will vary from person to person, so always start with the smallest dose or no more than two puffs. Remember, no one has ever died from a cannabis overdose and you'd have to ingest about a semi-trucks worth before reaching lethal levels. Even if you pass out, cannabis does not inhibit your bodies ability to continue breathing or for your heart to keep beating like opiates can. Yes, today's cannabis is more powerful than what your grandma smoked at Woodstock, but that just means you need to use less. You may think you're going to die and may start to have an anxiety attack, but you'll be okay.

The reason I think most newbies start to have anxiety attacks are pretty obvious if you think about it. Many people still view cannabis as something bad or evil or illegal, so they're already putting themselves in a paranoid mindset. To me, cannabis IS medicine! If you're using this for pain relief you should feel no more quilt than you would when taking an aspirin or injecting yourself with Humira. Get over that right now! There is legitimate science backing this up and forget the fear mongering of the politicians and moralizers.

The bodily sensations you'll begin to feel as the medicine takes effect can be very disconcerting for many. You'll begin to notice things going on that you never picked up on before. You may become more aware of your heart rate, your breathing, notice sounds that were always there but you had tuned out before. Don't allow yourself to get into a negative feedback loop just because you're noticing some of these things now that you're more aware. Allow the medicine to show you what you need to work on. If you feel anxious it's probably because you were already anxious and the cannabis is pointing this problem out. God, that really sounds like something a hippie would say, but it's true.

If you still feel anxious/panicky, drink a glass of water and go outside for a walk to get your mind out of its self. Enjoy nature and stop focusing on what your body is feeling, it will pass. I've also heard that chewing 3-4 black peppercorns will help, but that may just be an old folk tale.

Finally, does cannabis really work? That's like asking if Humira really works. Some swear by it, some swear at it. For me personally, I can't say that the pain entirely goes away, but it just doesn't seem to bother me as much after smoking. If I'm smoking and consciously think of what might be hurting... then yes, I'm aware that I still hurt. But what it does for me is it lets me get my mind off of the pain and it actually does allow my neck and shoulder muscles to relax. I have a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders from not just bone fusion but also from fighting to maintain my posture as straight as I possibly can.

I'd definitely suggest anyone give it a try (if you can legally get it of course ;)) and see if it works for you. Even if it doesn't help the pain it's 100 times safer than alcohol and doesn't give you a hangover. Nothing wrong with laughing and enjoying everything at a higher intensity than before.
Posted By: msmart Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/01/16 08:18 PM
MikeGinnyMD,

The only time I notice the pain being worse while smoking is if I've been sitting still for a length of time and then stand up. Perhaps I'm so relaxed and less aware of the pain while smoking that it feels more intense when I stand up? But I'd have to say that overall I've never had my pain get worse while using cannabis. I'm sorry you're having this reaction. Maybe try a different strain?
Posted By: msmart Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/01/16 08:31 PM
JVentura,

It'll probably come down to trial and error. Just remember, there are two basic strains of cannabis... indica and sativa. Indicas (aka in-da-couch) will provide a more sedate feeling and is good for relaxing or sleeping. It's notorious for what we call 'couch lock' and shouldn't be used if you have things you'll need to get done later in the day. Sativas offer a more energetic or euphoric feeling and are good for lifting your mood and may help with depression in some people.

Of course there are also varieties that offer less THC (the psychoactive compound) and more CBD (the more socially accepted medical compounds) than others. If you are in an area that has cannabis readily available, I'd suggest dropping by a shop and speaking to a good budtender. You can usually purchase pre-rolled cigs that would allow you to try various varieties to see what works for you.

Good luck and have fun.
Posted By: nowIknow Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/10/16 02:58 PM
Interesting that some are using pot as part of the treatment for their autoimmune diseases when I have been wondering if my past use has caused it.
Posted By: L33 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 04/28/16 06:36 PM
Greetings all,

I just came out of a medium flare(not waking up screaming with stabbing pain) and I have dull nagging ache all around my spine, I think healing pains and I feel like contacting a drug dealer in my neighbor hood so I can smoke some cannabis. I just hope my neighbors don't call the cops (lol) and more importantly I get the right flavour of Stavia, the one(s) that takes away pain and not the ones that make you more aware of the pain.....Its a gamble.
Posted By: EricaK Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 06/20/16 03:27 AM
Glad you're on the mend. I've been making cannabis to eat and it's fire me it's much more effective than smoking.
Posted By: L33 Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 06/20/16 12:49 PM
Hi all

so I bought some cannabis quite a large amount actually. First I bought the smallest quantity I could get from my dealer so I could do a test, and lucky it was the good stuff so I bought more.

I smoked it all for 5 days flat (I work from home), with good pain relief and success. I Also made green tea with it added sugar for taste. I must say the tea was nice......@ErikaK thanks for the tip. I will consider eating it next time, do u make cookies and baked goods. I do know smoking is not the best idea seemed easy for me at the time. I have read eating it keeps u high for much much longer, I don't want to get high for long.

The strange thing is after five days of smoking cannabis, I stopped smoking cigarettes for the next five days just didn't feel like it. I did start smoking cigarettes again but not cannabis.

Cigarettes are way more additive and unhealthy than smoking cannabis strange how cigarettes are legal yet cannabis is demonised, should be the other way around.

Almost forgot to mention my parents, my brother and sister thought I was having a mid life crisis or something since I was smoking at home. My mom was a bit more cool, she said as long as it helps don't waste money.

Good luck on your experimentation.

Posted By: Monza Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 06/29/16 09:21 PM
Yes it comes in different strengths. First experiences of the paranoia are disturbing, but if you know what to expect, you can be prepared for it and remind yourself that you are in control and fine.
Posted By: groovieknave Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 07/11/16 05:34 PM
I smoke medical marijuana, I have a card and when I can afford it I get some. It helps a lot but once the tolerance builds I can't afford it anymore. Such a shame because it is better than NSAIDs or painkillers.

Paranoia is magnified, and anxiety attacks do happen on this stuff. Of course, I am probably having paranoia and anxiety 24/7 I just got used to it somehow. Marijuana just magnifies it sometimes, but I sure like not caring about the pain.

One of the clinics give free frozen juice cubes that I drink everyday. I don't know if it is helping but I drop a cube in my water every day secretly hoping it cures me some way or another. smile
Posted By: TeresaA Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 09/27/16 07:54 PM
Has anyone tried the hemp oil with CBD? I have read it is good for reducing inflammation. The stuff tastes awful but at this point I'm trying everything. It is a tincture you place under the tongue for 10 seconds. I cannot take the NSAID I get sick and the narcotics trigger pancreatitis (I've had hospitalizations in the past for pancreatitis and don't want this to happen again).
Posted By: Darthritis Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 11/11/16 01:19 AM
Anyone get worse on this stuff? I tried cbd and some Rick simpson oil. Both magnified pain drastically in hands. Ruined some of my joints. Other joints not much influence.

Anything i have done thats anti inflammatory makes me worse.
Posted By: sdot Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/03/17 01:57 PM
Well, had to come back with an update. Basically, at least where I am, everyone is dropped dead on opiod overdoses and that scares the hell out me.

I have tried a few things and found the THC capsules, edibles, and vaporizers seem to be very very beneficial, however you end up stoned. So it is a hit and miss, your pain is gonna but you're kind of stoned. I found with the capsules tolerance builds quickly and then you really don't get that stoned feeling but the pain goes away.

I was told the THC is better for the pain of this disease as opposed to the CBD, but apparently they have 1:1 strains that are magical.

The only downside is that it is expensive after a while, but I would tell people to give it a try. i came back on this site after a while of feeling good to see how people are doing and anxiety just kicked in when I read about people in pain and not doing too well. If you read some of my earlier posts, it has become a night and day process.

I live between two seniors. One with RA and one with Fibro, when I first moved here I would smell marijuana a few times a day, turns out a lot of these seniors I have been bumping into use it for the pain with many of them saying that they had to go off their normal medicines for one reason or another and are better off now.

So that is my update. Some people don't like the idea of it, and some people live in places where it is not yet legal, but it's definitely worth a try.

Also it must be noted that I have a bit of IBS and had to watch what I ate a bit, and had some medication for that, and now my stomach is doing great no issues, normal stool... I just can't remain skeptical on this it just seems to work.
Posted By: sdot Re: Medicinal Marijuana - 01/06/17 04:50 PM
So this is day 10 of my of me not consuming mmj as part of my ongoing inquisitiveness to see if this works or if it is in my head. Like to do this once in a while to make sure.

So with 10 days past, I am a little stiff, a little sore, a little fatigued, lost some weight, have no appetite, and have some abdominal bleeding. Deterioration seems to be ongoing as the buildup in my system is leaving, and I have to resort to NSAIDS to balance thins out at this time.

Very interesting.
© Kickas.org