Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Josh300788 #517068 05/07/17 10:41 PM
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By Josh300788
Hi guys
Ive just recently stumbled upon this website, its awesome! I am 28 and was diagnosed with AS at the start of this year, after 10+ yrs of back pain. My naturopath recommended the LSD, but at the same time put me on the isotonix range of supplements (magnesium, opc 3, vitamin c, digestive enzymes and joint support). These all contain sugars, hydrolysed starch and maltodextrin. She claims that they are small enough quantities to be easily digested and wont be an issue, and that they are an important ingredient for aiding absorption. Does any one have an opinion on this, and has anyone taken the isotonix range of supplements? they have a lot of positive reviews, in particular opc-3, which my naturopath believes is crucial for auto immune disease patients as it helps regulate the immune system.

Thanks 😀

Welcome to KA.

Couple o' quick comments...

1. I suspect that in the beginning, LSD is going to help and the trace amount of starches in the supplements are not going to be a problem. But as you get better you may plateau. As you get better, you'll find that you may be getting more sensitive to starches. In my case (which may be very different from you), I found that I had to be very strict with my starch intake (e.g. none) if I wanted to to be asymptomatic AND have the benefits sustained. Even traces starches would slowly allow the spondy symptoms to creep back in - not immediately, but over the course of a week or two.
2. Because of my sensitivity to starches, I went out of my way to find supplements that were truly starch free. It was a hassle, but one where I ultimately felt it was worthwhile. Granted, I rarely ascribed to taking more controversial supplements. Most of the supplements I take are very standard: Vitamin C, Cod Liver Oil, B Complex, Magnesium, Calcium, Biotin, etc.

Lastly, +1 on a ketogenic diet. I've been full keto since 2009 and it made a huge difference. However, make sure you eat enough non-starchy carbs if you go down that path. At the end of the day, you still want a fairly balanced diet - you'll just get used to eating a lot more fat.

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
Josh300788 #517148 05/20/17 12:06 AM
J
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
J
Thanks guys

Can someone please explain the benefits of taking olive oil throughout the day?

Also for candida treatment i hear coconut oil is very good.

Cheers

Kellybells #517775 11/07/17 09:22 AM
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By Kellybells
Originally Posted By DavidP
I think naturopaths have a tendency to view everyone as being fundamentally the same, so that they often downplay meat and push you more toward a vegetarian diet.

Agree completely that NDs tend towards a "one size fits all" view of nutrition. To be fair, while research has challenged the demonization of meat, there is some evidence that plant-based diets favour longevity and other positive health outcomes. Certainly the Blue Zone communities - those regions around the world noted for their good health and long lives - tend to be vegetarian/infrequent meat eaters, so I do think there's something to it.

I have not verified this but aren't Blue Zones typically regions of very fertile soil due to nearby volcanic activity? And so might the higher nutrient concentration in the plants that they eat actually be the main benefit?

Furthermore, if they eat more sea food than animal meat then perhaps they really eat less red meat. In 2015 a specific sugar (Neu5Gc) in red meat was strongly confirmed to be what is causing bad health in meat eaters. But those studies focused on cancer and red meat links. There probably are other health concerns with red meat.

Multiple factors and complicated paths make it hard to tell. For example animal fat related cholesterol causing arteriosclerosis might be a side effect of manganese deficiency in the soil or an inablilty of our gut microbiota to process and supply certain vitamins essential to proper cholesterol processing by us thus resulting in a build-up of cholesterol and fat in the arteries. And the microbes inability to supply those vitamins is due to agricultural residues on the grains we eat.

Lastly, if Blue Zones are in regions of more moderate temperatures then they would naturally have higher physical activity levels (aside from the fat Hawaiians since McDonald's arrived)

Other factors for Blue Zone activity are:
Family - Family is put ahead of other concerns.
No Smoking - Centenarians do not typically smoke.
Plant-based diet - The majority of food consumed is derived from plants.
Constant moderate physical activity - Moderate physical activity is an inseparable part of life.
Social engagement - People of all ages are socially active and integrated into their communities.
Legumes - Legumes are commonly consumed.

In the introduction of his book, Outliers, Malcom Gladwell talks of a group of Italians that moved from Roseto, Italy (perhaps a Blue Zone) to USA and ate meat, smoked, drank every night. They had no heart disease and lived well. The emphasis was that it was family and social engagement that had the greatest effect on health. A similar story is given about Sardinia https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_pinker_the_secret_to_living_longer_may_be_your_social_life

The Harvard study of Adult Development gives the same conclusion https://www.ted.com/talks/robert_walding...dy_on_happiness

In his book, "The Status Syndrome", Michael Marmot emphasizes social cohesion but brings in how economics, politics and social nets come into play.

Being alone and poor will kill you faster than being poor but having a good bunch of people around you.

So, how many AS sufferers are actually a result of stresses in our job-success oriented cultures (to provide status) that lead us to do stupid things that damage our health leading to this disease?

Originally Posted By Josh300788
Thanks guys

Can someone please explain the benefits of taking olive oil throughout the day?

Also for candida treatment i hear coconut oil is very good.

Cheers

I guess by now you know one answer is that the olive oil is a fat that is one of the best at making cell walls. Long-term use of other bad fats can modify the cells so that they are dysfunctional.

Lastly some strains of Candida are resistant to the caprilic acid in coconut oil so other means to reduce their numbers needs to be used; so rotate those (natural) antibiotics.

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
S
Lurker
Lurker
S
Hi there, could you mention which supplements you found to be reliably starch free please? Thank you

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 113 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM