Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
rippin #501810 03/26/14 06:15 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Hi rippin,

>> alcohol, sugar, grains, nuts, dairy and sweet fruits

May I ask, is there a particular reason that you want to avoid nuts and fruits?

The other 4 (alcohol, sugar, grains, dairy) all make me sick, so I am all for avoiding those. I thought I was able to tolerate yoghurt / dairy better lately, only to find that my prostate is gradually getting more and more inflamed when I eat it regularly. Drat.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
rippin #501820 03/26/14 02:04 PM
Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
rippin,

I understand about eating dirt if it helped; I sure wouldn't be doing NSD if it didn't actually reduce the pain.

My rheumy has told me that any drug that lowers immunity, such as anti-TNFs, is out of the question. He cannot prescribe those for my case due to the label warnings/restrictions about nervous system issues.

Oh well, at least NSD is keeping the pain low enough to make life worthwhile.

--Greg

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.
rippin #501843 03/26/14 10:59 PM
E
New_Member
New_Member
E
I got to tell you I have been on the NSD since last September and have to say the only thing that has happened is I have lost weight, other wise no change in symptoms, just as much pain and agony as ever. I would have to say the AS has progressed as if I were doing nothing. Disappointed and miss bread a lot.

rippin #501853 03/27/14 05:10 AM
S
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
S
I mostly do the paleo diet and NSD. I didn't eat fruit except berries for like 6 weeks in the summer, but I did eat starch, and I did not improve as much as when I added in fruit but cut out starch. I was very strict for about 4 months on paleo and NSD, and I improved a lot. Once I got much better (I was also on medication) I started being less strict with my diet and symptoms started coming back. So then I got strict again, and improved again. It's really hard to stick to the diet. I've noticed that as long as I stay on the diet like 80 or 85 percent then if I cheat I don't really feel it unless I eat terribly for a few days in a row. I forget easily when I'm feeling well how bad it was and I quickly get back on the diet when I'm flaring up.

Everything is okay. Trust yourself, and do not live from a place of fear.
rippin #501857 03/27/14 08:10 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
>> The other 4 (alcohol, sugar, grains, dairy) all make me sick

Thought I better clarify that unless people thought that they all cause AS.

Alcohol : Proctitis (itchy bum). No significant AS issue, except beer can be starchy.

Sugar : Candida & Proctitis. No significant AS issues.

Grains : Well yeah obviously that brings on AS, but also eczema, candida, rhinitis, and iritis. Rice was the best tolerated, and sticky rice is really good (although can cause proctitis depending on a couple of of factors)

Dairy : Prostate inflammation

"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
rippin #501858 03/27/14 08:14 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Hey Eddy,
I urge you to start your own thread and we will help you specifically if we can. I don't believe the NSD works for everyone -- but in order to give you the best shot at success I do hope you will post a list of everything that you consume, including supplements.

rippin #501921 03/29/14 03:43 AM
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Apologies for the belated reply!

Originally Posted By: rippin
Thanks for the info foodie... Could you tell me what differences you noticed on the combined paleo AID and the NSD? Pain levels, mental clarity and so on?

For me, the NSD is the basis for managing spondylitis. NSD alone helped remove the pain. However, I explored cutting sugar out because I suspected that I had candida issues. I was very reluctant in cutting sugar because I love fruit so much, but I did a one month experiment of eliminating all sugar. When I tried adding sugar back in, I would get this massive brain fog. I was able to test this a couple of times and established a connection between my sugar consumption and my brain fog/light headedness. Once I made that connection, I stopped eating sugar. I have zero regrets and only wish I knew all this sooner at a younger age.

One other thing I believe this stricter version of the diet helped... I no longer have to deal with sinus infections. For years, I had chronic sinus problems. I remember reading a paper from Hopkins indicating that chronic sinus problems tend to be fungal infections (e.g. candida), and that was one of the other motivations behind dropping sugar.

Quote:
Did you use supplements or does what you describe cover all the bases for nutrition?

I take some supplements, but really, I don't go crazy with supplements. Here's what I take:

Vitamin C (in absorbic acid powder mixed with water)
Calcium Citrate (in pure powder mixed with water)
Magnesium Citrate
Vit B complex
Cod Liver Oil
Probiotic

That's it. Nothing too crazy. Without a doubt, the vitamin I think is the most helpful is Vitamin C followed by the priobiotic. I was able to get my Vit D levels to a normal state once I started taking cod liver oil.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by FormerFoodie; 03/29/14 04:10 AM. Reason: Forgot something!

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
rippin #501962 03/31/14 08:45 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
>> paper from Hopkins indicating that chronic sinus problems tend to be fungal
>> infections (e.g. candida)

Yeh I have been taking Lufenuron which kills yeast / fungus. Sinus clearing is one of the most noticeable benefits for me. My sinus is normally very clogged up, but after taking Lufenuron it really opens up significantly. Sadly it comes back soon enough when I stop :-/ I'm thinking of rinsing my sinus with diluted iodine..

>> When I tried adding sugar back in, I would get this massive brain fog.

I have had similar experiences. If I eat just fruit for a few days other flora start to compete, and eventually the sinuses clear as does the brain fog. Look in to Ellagic acid (found in certain fruits), chitin and fungus! Yeasts & fungus use chitin to build their armour.. Ellagic acid inhibits this, as does Lufenuron.

rippin #509970 03/23/15 01:38 AM
S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Eddy- are you HLA B27 positive? It's my understanding the NSD works best in those who are. Good luck. I hope you find relief .

HLA B27 positive
Choosing food as medicine first
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome to our Newest Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation