Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
I am new to KickAS, stumbled upon here while browsing about AS. I was diagnosed with AS in October last year. Started Humira in November and have been on it since. Ive done eight injections so far every two weeks.

I am scared of the possible long term side effects of Humira, or any other tnf blockers.

Humira has made me feel almost 100% again. I started having constant pain 5 years ago when I was 23. The Humira starting working imediatly for me so I do not want to give it up. So far no major side effects. Just a few headaches and heartburn. I dont know if the heartburn is from the Humira or not. I have much more anxiety now than I used to and I'm much more emotional which is a little wierd for me.
I think I am still trying to accept that I have AS and will have it for the rest of my life. I guess it is good to finally know what has been causing my back pain for so long though.
When I was diagnosed I was glad to know what it was, but lately I've been kind of depressed and have lost some motivation.

I am hoping that I can get some advise from people that have been on this drug and lived with AS for several years about side effects.

Thanks for reading and for any input.

I
Titanium_AS_Kicker
Titanium_AS_Kicker
I
Hello Kevin.

Yes it is for life and jolly painful, thus if you can take the pain down with humira then great. I take Enbrel, the sister I think to Humira. I get some relief too. All drugs have side effects and as such their share of scaremongers too. For my part, apart from initial minor reactions to Enbrel, have had no side effects. The effects I did have, disappeared after about 12 weeks, perhaps then it might be best to stick with it a little longer and monitor the effects and enjoy pain free days. Of course though in all cases, keep your medical team apprised of your concerns and act on what they say. This site offers no qualified medical opinion, but obsevations on the experiences of fellow AS'ers. Enjoy life

Alan G

New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
Thanks for your reply Alan. Im glad to hear that you dont have any lasting side effects from the Enbrel. how long have you been on it?
My doctor told me that any side effects from these drugs would go away with stoping the use so I am trying to not worry too much about it. It is nice to read about the experiences of others with AS so that I can have an idea of what to expect throughout my challenges.

A
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
A
I have been taking Humira since last June and for me it's been a lifesaver. Before I started the Humira I was in awful pain. I couldn't sleep more then just 3 or 4 hours at night before the pain woke me up. I was taking narcotics all the time. Now I rarely take anything stronger then an Ultram and that is only once in a while.

I read about a lot of side effects of taking Humira, but from what I have read, they are very rare. I do know that being in constant pain can cause even worse side effects.

Donna
Cherish your yesterdays,
Dream your tomorrows,
But live your todays.
Do the very best you can
leave the rest to God.
God Bless,
ironchef
ironchef
kevin, aloha

could i be so bold and ask which things about these meds scares you?

New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
Initially when I started on Humira I was excited that it was working for me so well, although it has always been a little hard for me to do the injection.
I am afraid of how it suppresses the immune system. I have always had kind of a weak immune system. I have increased my vitamin and mineral intake throughout the winter and fortunately made it through without getting sick very often.
I am scared of the possibility of getting some kind of fungal infection or a skin disease. I know that psoriasis is one of the side effects stated in the brouchure for Humira but it is also a treatment for psoriasis. That doesn't make sense to me.
I have read things about people that end up having mental issues including memory loss or personality changes, that are blammed on tnf blockers.
I don't know if these drugs can cause digestive problems or GI track problems like the NSAIDs do, but I am worried about that too.
I have been having lots of heartburn lately, my anxiety has increased quite a lot, I've been a little depressed also. I am naturally pointing the blame to the meds because even before being on them I wasn't like this all the time. I don't want it to be the meds because they are making me almost pain free.
Im just really worried of adding other serious problems to my list.

Thanks for your replies.

I
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
I
Hiya, Kevin Ray

Nothing wrong with being scared/aware of the side effects of Humira (or any medication), it's only sensible. But... there is a danger of too much information. For instance you say:

QUOTE: I have been having lots of heartburn lately, my anxiety has increased quite a lot,QUOTE:

Anxiety, itself can cause heartburn, so can poor diet, eating on the run,spicy foods...

I've been on Humira for a year now, like you, delighted at being pain-free - almost can't believe it. Something so instantaneous has taken away YEARS of pain. Of course there's bound to be a catch.

Isn't there?

I guess we have to weigh up whether the 'maybe' side-effects we've been told about are enough to stop us having an active life - with our kids, our families, ourselves.

I don't know myself. It does still scare me.

It's sites like KickAs that keep us informed. The power is in our hands now. ;-)

Remember, everything has a side-effect, even life.

ironchef
ironchef
k, aloha

your package SHOULD have a huge brochure in it...NOW !!!! you must remember that big pharma creates meds for RA and then after approval tests for efficacy for AS patients

RA and AS are NOT the same...different stats, so don't be alarmed about 'associations' for ra patients; aware but not alarmed...there will then be a different table for AS folks.

there are things pharma is not real helpful about telling you but those test results in lit are real, documented etc.

that's a start.
aB

M
mig Offline
M
Hi Kevin_Ray,... welcome to KA! Glad you found us.

Really good to hear that humira is providing you with so much relief and is working effectively.

I think it is fairly natural to worry a little, especially when you are still relatively new to the diagnosis and still fairly new to this medication.

I would try not too worry to much about the small risk of getting a fungal infection or skin disease. Being mindful of any new or unusual symptoms that may come up is your best defence, so knowledge is important. The risk for developing new-onset psoriasis is very low and yep, paradoxical, (may have something to do with an underlying predisposition), and gets even lower after the first 3 months on the med, if I remember correctly. Plus, the more concerning things are usually reversed by simply stopping the med.

If you think you are getting a flu or chest infection, just delay your shot and speak with your rheumatologist to check when it is safe for you to resume. When in doubt - ask your doc, that's what they are there for! smile

I've been on Remicade (same biologic class of medication as Humira) for nearly 6-1/2 yrs now, with no problems, no side-effects, and far fewer colds than I used to get. I use hand-sanitizer when out to a mall or grocery shopping and I try to avoid sick people! Seems to work really well -- and the Remicade has been a huge blessing and has literally given me my life back.

Give yourself some time to get used to the concept of having AS. It takes a bit to get your mind around it, I know. Your feelings of depression may have more to do with this or with living with chronic pain, than the Humira. If the depression has been around for a bit and isn't going away, mention it to your doc and get some treatment. Pain and depression are physiologically linked.

Good luck and I hope it helps to know that you are not alone.
mig

New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
Thanks for everyones replies, makes me feel better about taking the meds. I'm glad to hear that they are working so good for you.
It is nice to hear from and talk to others with AS just because most people don't know how it is to have this chronic condition.

I do suppose that it basically is a decision on my part to take the meds or not, so far I continue to do the injection every two weeks. Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated. I may be asking for more as I have learn more about living with AS.
When I was first diagnosed it didnt bother me much that I had this just beacuase I was glad to know what was causing all my systems, but for the past month or so I have been having a little difficulty accepting it.
Thanks again everyone...
Kevin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM