Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#376832 02/13/10 11:31 AM
D
darryn1972aussie
Unregistered
darryn1972aussie
Unregistered
D
what is an alcoholic? is drinking 1 bottle of wine 750ml good or bad? could it be considered a healthy practice or just an excuse to feed an addiction? wine does = drug, and i want to use it correctly if there is such a way. how much is too much? im on the Wolf Blass yellow label - reasonable quality cabernet sauvignon 2008 vintage.it about $12 USD a bottle from bottle shop, but if i drive a few 100km i can get it straight from winery by box or even a barrel pimp pimp pimp

#376835 02/13/10 12:44 PM
B
B
Hi,

It depends how often and quickly you drink it.
I had cut down to 1 bottle a week before starting the NSD. Now there is not much else to snack on I am up to 2 or 3 bottles a week. Personally, I would not want to go much higher than that.
I don't often go for the Wolf Blass yellow label as its quite expensive here (about £9).

Jon

#376837 02/13/10 12:49 PM
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
Hey Darryn
You are a proper nutter! crazy
Firstly, you need to put the bottle of wine into some sort of context! Are you talking about drinking 1 bottle a week, 1 bottle a day, 1 bottle for breakfast - 1 for lunch and a proper meal in the evening (do you get the slimfast adverts? Do you see what I did there?!!!)
Do you see where I'm going with this???!!!
Or when you say how much is too much are you talking about price?
(How much Cabernet Sauvignon had you drunk when you wrote this post??!!!)
Price is less important than volume - saying that drinking 750ml or vinegar can't be good for you!!!!
Good luck with your new "hobby"!!!!!!!!!!!!lol laugh

KickAS and help others do the same!
Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
To be an alcoholic, your drinking has to negatively impact your life and relationships. If you try to cut back or quit and are unable to, that's another sign. If your significant others think you drink too much, maybe you do.

The quality of the alcohol is not nearly as important as the effect it has on your life.

Not being a wine drinker myself, I have no opinion about where you get the bottle, but I am also curious about the time frame in which you drink that bottle.

Micki
Mom to 9
Dx'ed Ocular Herpes, Sept. '08
Dx'ed AS May '09, suffering on and off since 1979
Dx'ed Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma May '08, relapse Oct '11
#376855 02/13/10 04:50 PM
M
mcm Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
M
Hey Darryn - you need to research the Chardonnay Cure - if you haven't done so already. supposedly chardonnay kills klebs so somewhere out there in internet world it says drinking it can get rid of AS. I tried it, it didn't work;) i prefer red wine too. but joking aside, wine makes my arthritis worse the next day frown , tho it nicely eases symptoms during the imbiding)

When my oldest was 4 and his sister 2, I found myself easily polishing off a bottle of cab in the evenings, but anyone with a 4 and 2 year old can probably appreciate that. I'm petite tho, it was beginning to be a problem - I then got pregnant with 3rd - put a quick end to that thankfully. For the health benefits - they say men can have up to two glasses a night!

#376858 02/13/10 05:06 PM
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
Hey Darryn
I kinda thought you were joking with this post?
This is my serious answer:
UK daily drinking guidelines for wine are:

12% 1.5 units (125ml small glass) or 2.1 units (175ml standard glass)
14% 1.75 units (125ml small glass) or 2.45 units(175ml standard glass)

Recommended daily units for men 3-4 per day
Recommended daily units for women 2-3 units per day

You should not save these units up and binge drink in one evening, however, as that is more dangerous than drinking slightly more units on a daily basis.

You should have at least 1 alcohol free day per week.

KickAS and help others do the same!
#376880 02/13/10 06:58 PM
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
My personal take on the question "am I an alcoholic" is that if you are asking the question the answer is probably yes, or at least you are in a position where you soon could be.

I used to drink puh-lenty. As an archaeologist I did the vast majority of my studying in the pub and we often joked about the fact that archaeologists have the highest per capita numbers of alcoholics than any other profession (true or not, we believed it and encouraged it!). As a naval officer, drinking was a cultural norm. Being single as well meant I would prowl the bars downtown four nights a week and had a particularly active social life.

I just considered myself to be a guy with healthy appetites for wine, women and song but when I went to see a head shrink he was so shocked to hear about me blowing a paycheck on a weekend bender and such that he was convinced that I was a raging alcoholic. He wrote stuff in my files that still make it difficult for me as every medical professional I speak to asks me if I'm drinking.

Booze never affected my work or my relationships, I never got into fights or got in trouble with the police. I may have written a few exams while still drunk from the night before but I still got good grades? I could take a drink or not without any sort of internal struggle...of course, back then I always chose to have the drink.

Now I almost never drink. It started with the red wine actually. I found that my migraines would be kicked off by drinking cheaper red wines. Certain brands, typically more expensive ones would not have this effect but it was enough to put me off drinking. Then my marriage started to suffer because of the amount of drinking my wife and I did. I didn't like what I saw in my wife after she had been drinking so I stopped drinking to get a more objective view on the situation. I just don't like to drink anymore.

I'll have a drink anytime I like but that is quite rare nowadays - for example, having one drink in a month would be unusual. I miss my martinis. A very dirty vodka martini is just wonderful and all the olives would often be my "dinner" lol. If I had my way, there would be a nice bottle of stoli in the freezer so I could have a martini once in a while but that won't work. Booze doesn't last in my house.

Things are much better in my marriage nowadays. Maybe the marriage counseling helped some? My wife still drinks but even she is beginning to ease up on it now.

Used properly, booze can be a wonderful thing and I have nothing against someone enjoying a drink - it is great stuff. So many of the people I've known over the years were likely "functioning alcoholics" whatever that is supposed to mean but used in moderation, a little booze, especially red wine, can be good for your health.

Have a drink, relax, enjoy life since it is so short and brutal anyway...personally, I'd rather have some water or a cup of tea.

Enjoy life,

Chris

D
darryn1972aussie
Unregistered
darryn1972aussie
Unregistered
D
i drank the whole bottle last night. 750ml in about 5 hours. i got 4 more in the cupboard so i think ill have a bit more tonight not sure how much yet.

#376944 02/14/10 12:42 AM
depends entirely on why you're drinking, and how. if you're drinking to get away from negative emotions in your normal sober state, that's unhealthy. if you're drinking on your own solely to get drunk, that's probably unhealthy. if whenever you drink you can't control how much you drink, that's unhealthy. if you often drink yourself unconscious, that's unhealthy.

that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking any amount of alcohol at the appropriate time, as long as you can mantain good composure and it doesn't negatively impact others. it's all down to your lifestyle.

Do YOU think you're an alcoholic?

Last edited by nemesys; 02/14/10 12:42 AM.

Don't fear god, don't worry about death, what's good is easy to acquire, and what's terrible is easy to endure - Epicurus
#376949 02/14/10 01:54 AM
R
R
Hey I've read that alcohol can produce an undesirable result when taken with medication. Heres what I quoted from another site

Originally Posted By: RealityBites
The interaction of medication and alcohol is based on the fact that the body metabolizes both in a similar fashion. One of the most basic ways a person’s medication can be affected by the use of alcohol is that the drug’s effectiveness may be minimized. Simply put, both the alcohol and the drug will compete for the body’s resources so that they can be broken down. The longer the drug stays in the body, the greater the likelihood of the patient experiencing side effects.

For those who have been consuming alcohol for a long time, less of the drug will be available to the body. The alcohol stimulates the production of certain enzymes that have the effect of metabolizing the drugs quickly. The end result is that there is not much of the drug left in the body to do its work. The effects of long term alcohol use in this respect can be felt even for weeks after the person has stopped drinking. To counteract this, doctors may prescribe the drug in higher doses which poses an increased risk of side effects.

Another dangerous consequence of this interaction occurs when enzyme production stimulated by persistent alcohol use converts certain drugs into poisonous compounds. This can lead to organ damage, particularly the liver. Alcohol use can also intensify the effects of certain sedatives, which could have serious implications for the brain.

Well, although I'm not exactly sure how much u gotta consume to get these effects but...Its always good to know.....

The day I was diagnose with AS, I was told by my rheumatologist to stay off drinking and smoking.

Alcohol also takes a long time to completely get out of the system.

Last edited by RealityBites; 02/14/10 01:58 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 63 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Carol Sinclair
by mosconi411 - 05/15/24 03:04 PM
Slippery elm poweder and Klebsiella
by mosconi411 - 05/13/24 06:24 PM
AS Patient from Hyderabad. Need dietary tips
by turndream2real - 05/13/24 03:59 AM
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
What's news since Alan Ebringer 2013 ?
by Ako - 12/22/19 05:10 PM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,373,444 hmmm
1,326,721 OMG!!!!
714,279 PARTY TIME!