Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#292993 03/05/08 11:33 PM
Major_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Major_AS_Kicker
NSD Granola Bars

3 eggs
1/3 C. sweetening (concentrated fruit juice, honey, maple syrup, any combination of these)
3 T. oil (melted butter, melted coconut oil, or liquid oil like olive or canola)
Flavorings (any or all: 1/2 T. cinnamon, 1 T. vanilla, 1/2 t. nutmeg)
1 1/2 C. unsweetened dried coconut
2 C. chopped nuts (combination of your choice, I used almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds)
1 1/2 C. chopped dried fruit
Optional: chocolate chips

Line a 9 x 9 or 11 x 7 pan with aluminum foil. Preheat overn to 350.

Mix together eggs, sweetening, oil, and flavorings.

Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well.

Pour into pan and spread evenly.

Bake at 350 for about 1/2 an hour. (Sorry, I forgot to check how long it took. They are done when they are slightly brown.)

When cool, cut into squares and store at room temperature in a tightly covered container for a week or for longer in the freezer.

These are really good; even my picky NSD daughter say they are "addictive". I cut them into squares, put them in baggies and popped them in a ziplock bag in the freezer for quick snacks to grab.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think that applesauce would also work for a form of sweetening.

I'd like to try them some time with some fresh fruit instead of the dried fruit, like apples or berries. I think that would probably work also.

I cannot make the universe obey me. I cannot make other people conform to my own whims and fancies. I cannot make even my own body obey me.

Thomas Merton

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.

Emily Dickinson

Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
That sounds incredible. Will try. As soon as I get these almond crackers of mine perfected I will post. So is there alot of you who do use dairy? what kinds??? I guess I'll try to test me+butter?

Hey, somebody stole my quote! - Me
T
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
T
Ok Karen - you know how much of a chef I am - I am going to do this

I have made about six batches of almond bread - yes myself.

I have a bunch of dried fruit from last summer - all kinds of things - watermelon, cantelope, papya, apples, I cant remember it all

Is the coconut oil you use liquid at room temp?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Brian

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.

[Linked Image] [img134.imageshack.us]
Taos #292996 03/06/08 10:46 AM
Major_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Major_AS_Kicker
Yay, Brian! You are getting to be quite the NSD chef! Imagine that, almond bread!

Where did you get all of the funky dried fruit? I actually have a food dehydrator and would like to try drying some of my own fruit next summer.

The coconut oil is solid at room temperature. I melted the oil, then tossed in the cold eggs and frozen orange juice, which was not a good idea since the oil immediately solidified into little islands in the liquid. I tossed the whole mess in the microwave, warmed it up a bit until the oil melted and stirred it all back together. If I did it again, I'd warm the juice before adding the other ingredients.

I'll bet Marie would like these, though they're awfully calorie-dense for someone who isn't able to exercise.

I'm rather proud of this recipe. I was drooling over a recipe for regular granola bars in last week's newspaper, when I thought to myself, "I bet I could adapt this to make it starch-free and low sugar." I think this is a pretty good adaptation.

Karen

I cannot make the universe obey me. I cannot make other people conform to my own whims and fancies. I cannot make even my own body obey me.

Thomas Merton

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.

Emily Dickinson

Major_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Major_AS_Kicker
Some can tolerate dairy and some can't. Everyone needs to experiment.

Are you doing the NSD?

I'm eager to see your recipe for almond crackers as I find I crave salty, crunchy foods.

Karen

Thomas Merton

Emily Dickinson

A
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
A
Hi Karen,
I made of version of these the other day. I am trying to ration myself so I don't eat the whole pan of them at once.
Thanks for posting this recipe! I wish I had the time to bake more and experiment like you do.
Alecia

"Leave your drugs in the chemist's pot if you can heal the patient with food." Hippocrates
Major_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Major_AS_Kicker
I made these yesterday, using a little over half of a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple as the sweetening with raisins for the dried fruit and that's good too. They're softer, more moist and cake-like when made with the pineapple.

Karen

Last edited by Karen_the_Mouse; 03/13/08 02:32 PM.

Thomas Merton

Emily Dickinson

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Karen, these look really good. I'm also going to look for the recipe for almond bread, because I've long thought it would be a nice bread if handled properly. Tried once using almond flour only, just to see what would happen. Made an awesome, but very dense and wet in the middle loaf. Have spent much time figuring out what to cut it with to make it work, so I'll capitalize on the time you've spent!!

Looking forward to trying these bars!

Many hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Oooh Karen, your daughter is right. They ARE addicting.
My mom is with me for a visit, saw your recipe, and just made me a pan. I think I ate half of them already in 24hrs.

Wow are they ever good! My mom used chopped dried apricots, dried cranberries, raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds, a few walnuts, and lots of coconut oil. I think next time I'll maybe use an extra egg or two to bind it all, because we used extra coconut oil.

Thanks so much for posting this recipe! ...I think....lol (one could very easily gain eating these!)

Hi Moosekick,
I'd be very interested to hear about your crackers too! Please post when you've got your final recipe figured out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 67 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Carol Sinclair
by mosconi411 - 05/15/24 03:04 PM
Slippery elm poweder and Klebsiella
by mosconi411 - 05/13/24 06:24 PM
AS Patient from Hyderabad. Need dietary tips
by turndream2real - 05/13/24 03:59 AM
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
What's news since Alan Ebringer 2013 ?
by Ako - 12/22/19 05:10 PM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,373,395 hmmm
1,326,693 OMG!!!!
714,257 PARTY TIME!