Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MSK Offline OP
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
LDL Cholesterol 227 (0-130 normal)
HDL Cholesterol 50 (35-55)
Cholesterol 291 (50-200)
Trigliserid 70 (0-200)

I am on LSD + paleo diet.

Do you think i should be concerned?

Diagnosed at July 2012 after 8 months of pain. HLA-B27 negative.
NSAIDS don't really work. I can't use Anti-TNF because i had tuberculosis years ago.
Wish you all best health, M. Sami Kuzey
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: MSK
Do you think i should be concerned?

Tough to say. I monitored my cholesterol like a hawk the first two years on a strict NSD. I ate an incredibly high fat diet because I eliminated all sugars so I was really worried.

My LDL levels hovered between 120-180. My HDL levels hovered between 90-110. My tri's were in the 70's. I haven't had a real test recently.

Your ratio of Total Cholesterol / HDL = 5.8. I think the ideal ratio is between 3.7-5.6. I'm reading more literature that suggests the ratio is more important than the absolute numbers. I'd see if you could raise your HDL.

I'm not sure how much red meat you eat, but early in my diet, I only ate red meat (lamb) once a week. Today, I eat red meat twice a week.

I still think they are trying to figure out this whole cholesterol thing. How do you feel? That may be more telling. Wish I could be of more assistance...

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
MSK Offline OP
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
My AS is pretty active so not feeling great.

But before diet, when my AS was more active and i had normal range cholesterol, i used to feel much worse.

I read similar things, and it seems like it is not very clear yet.

So,do you know how to elevate HDL? Is it something to do with eating more red meat, since you mentioned it?

Originally Posted By: FormerFoodie
Wish I could be of more assistance...

You are, thank you:)

Last edited by MSK; 08/09/14 09:13 AM.

NSAIDS don't really work. I can't use Anti-TNF because i had tuberculosis years ago.
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
So,do you know how to elevate HDL?

I -think- the following things that I do help contribute to my high HDL results. I tried rank-ordering in what I believe is more likely to be true from ones that are more likely to be "I think so"...

1. Cod Liver Oil - It sounds gnarly, but in addition to the all important Vitamin D, it is loaded with Omega 3's. I take the liquid form from Garden of Life.
2. Fish Oil - Vitamin D and A are not water soluble so you can't over do it on the Cod Liver Oil. I also take a separate supplement of fish oil. I prefer the liquid kind that you refrigerate rather than the pill.
3. Avoid all hydrogenated oils
4. Lots of olive oil
5. Walnuts
6. Vitamin C - I take copious amounts of Vitamin C. At least 5 grams a day during the week and 7.5 grams a day on weekends. It's been rumored to help lower cholesterol.
7. Limiting red meat
8. Avoiding all high-glycemic foods. I believe there is a theory that says that inflammatory foods contribute to high cholesterol. If you're limiting your starches, this may help as well.

Quote:
Is it something to do with eating more red meat, since you mentioned it?

In hindsight, I'm not sure how much red meat contributes to high cholesterol. I suspect that there's some correlation but am not 100% certain. The primary reason why I avoid red meat is that it is difficult to digest. GI health is central for us NSD-ers, so eating anything that increases the time between bowel movements isn't desirable.

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
MSK Offline OP
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Thanks alot.

Originally Posted By: FormerFoodie

2. Fish Oil - Vitamin D and A are not water soluble so you can't over do it on the Cod Liver Oil. I also take a separate supplement of fish oil. I prefer the liquid kind that you refrigerate rather than the pill.

6. Vitamin C - I take copious amounts of Vitamin C.

I checked difference of water and fat soluble vits and they say excess amount of fat-soluble vit. A is harmful?

What is the supplement you taking for vit C?

Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
I checked difference of water and fat soluble vits and they say excess amount of fat-soluble vit. A is harmful?

Shoot. I said "can't over do it" when I meant "can over do it". Sorry about the confusion there.

Yes, Vitamin A is fat soluble so in extreme quantities, it can be toxic. For breakfast, I take some cod liver oil. For lunch and dinner, I take some fish oil because the fish oil doesn't have A and D.

Quote:
What is the supplement you taking for vit C?

I actually take powdered ascorbic acid since it'll be less likely to have other superfluous ingredients.

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Vitamin-Crys...itamin+c+powder

Hope that helps!

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I have diabetes and so for me the high cholesterol is from that more than from anything else.

I have low triglycerides, so know that I'm eating low enough carbs, but high LDLs.

I do limit the animal fats I eat and focus on olive oil, coconut milk (I can't eat dairy so I eat coconut milk yogurt), avocados (need to eat more), and nuts (nuts, nut butters, etc).

Those "healthy fats" help to raise my HDLs so they are OK now, not great, but better than they were.

That and exercise to raise the HDLs. I walk every day, bike some.

I also take a low level of pravastatin, that has helped to lower my LDLs. But even more importantly for me, fixed my NAFLD.

But must reiterate, for me, its due to the diabetes, my body's inability to properly process carbs…converts the excess glucose to fat, in the liver, but for me, a "normal" amount of carbs is too much…..

Still, my GP thinks that a low fat vegan diet is the answer to high cholesterol and artery / heart disease. For someone with only heart disease (like Bill Clinton, like others), maybe this is the way to go. For someone with diabetes though, low carb is definitely necessary, not sure where the fat fits in, so instead, I compromise with eating more "healthy" plant based fats and fewer "unhealthy?" animal based fats.

To me, its complicated and I haven't read one unifying theme regarding the high cholesterol problem faced by someone with diabetes.

Does diabetes run in your family? Are you prediabetic? If not, then your high cholesterol is for different reasons than mine.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
If cholesterol is spiking, I would definitely make some changes to the diet to bring it back in line.

I have had mine tested at various times over the years and has always been good. I emphasize vegetables in my diet and eat lots of walnuts as a snack that is a healthy oil.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
MSK Offline OP
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Sue22

Does diabetes run in your family? Are you prediabetic? If not, then your high cholesterol is for different reasons than mine.

Diabetes is rare in my family. I dont know if im prediabetic but sure will check for it.

Many online articles suggest that, if your diet is high fat, exercise, esp lighter and longer ones, might be the missing key. Because of pain, im not able to even walk for more than 10-20 mins right now and i suspect this the reason my cholesterol is high.

Anyway, it seems like, i would better monitor cholesterol once a month after changing somethings in my diet.

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 67 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Carol Sinclair
by mosconi411 - 05/15/24 03:04 PM
Slippery elm poweder and Klebsiella
by mosconi411 - 05/13/24 06:24 PM
AS Patient from Hyderabad. Need dietary tips
by turndream2real - 05/13/24 03:59 AM
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
What's news since Alan Ebringer 2013 ?
by Ako - 12/22/19 05:10 PM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,373,395 hmmm
1,326,693 OMG!!!!
714,257 PARTY TIME!