Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
PattyG #85018 05/05/03 06:45 PM
A
New_Member
New_Member
A
Hi,
I'm so ecstatic to hear that people can exercise. I'm new to the site and newly diagnosed. My rheumy just gave the go ahead to low-impact exercise. This is really hard to accept since I was an avid runner (ran a marathon b4 being diagnosed and treated) and used to lift weights. Now as a result of not being able to workout and the meds (I've been on Prednisone for about 4 months), I've gained weight and my stamina has seriously decreased. I'm looking forward to exercising again but am concerned if exercising will cause a flare. I haven't had one yet and have no idea what prompts one.
-Adrienne

aapsyd21 #85019 05/06/03 09:55 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Adrienne,
Did you stop exercising because of pain? or did your doctor tell you to stop? If your doctor told you to stop / reduce exercise then that person is seriously ill informed !!!. Not only does exercise slow the disease progress, but it also clears the brain fog that can turn me into a walking zombie at work. When the brain fog is bad, my head is clouded and I am forgetful.. I make stupid mistakes and will forget peoples names etc.. In fact I believe it is a decent way to test how active our disease is (asking someone how sore they are has a problem with "placebo effect" .. but you could bypass this with something like a memory test).

The only problem with exercise is motivation. Pain takes away my desire to do exercise.. and I end up digging my self a hole that I can only get out of with NSAID's.

"So long and thanks for all the fish" - Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
aapsyd21 #85020 05/06/03 10:08 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
I find that warm up exercises, running and yoga to be excellent ways to keep the disease under control. In fact I can not get a good nights sleep unless do stretches before bed.. 3 minutes of stretching gives me many hours of relief. The only trick is learning which stretches are the most effective for you..

I am pretty sure weights help too, but I wouldn't know :-) ..

I have been wondering for a while why something as simple as a stretch is so effective.. who lnows !?!? I guess the body switches from "attack and destroy mode" to "rebuild and repair mode"

"So long and thanks for all the fish" - Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
zark #85021 05/07/03 07:45 AM
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
Zark, these are the physical things i am trying to work out at present to further improve my neck.
I think stretching not only helps the tendons, but activates the lymph clearing, as does massage.
I've said (a few times) i was in remission when sailing, the reasons are manifold here goes.
1 To stay upright and on board the whole body is on standby mode to sway and twist and restrain and hold and lean and adjust to waves and movement so lymoh and circulatioan are active.
2 Physically active and aerobic exercise spread thoughout the entire day at times.
3 In general the "watch" system means very short sleeps (2-3 hours) if you have four hours off "duty" so the morning pain business never really happens
4 Even when asleep the body has to move and roll with the waves and the boat.
5 Salt air, good food, no junk food, no alcohol - until landfall.
6 No stress no worries no "ten thousand things"

So, get a water bed and an adjustable wave ripple maker to give you a massage all night and keep the body active. Beats a hammock.

Ted
"Auto-immunity or self-help - no decision"

Ted

One cannot believe all one reads on the Internet...
Abraham Lincoln
aapsyd21 #85022 05/07/03 09:17 AM
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I've found the perfect exercise for me, can't do running because my left ankle has been chewed up by AS, also my left foot, and now my right foot is acting up, so I swim laps, weightless, good cardiovascular workout, doesn't hurt my joints or my back. I swim for about 20 minutes and then do pool aerobics, and use gallon water jugs with varying amounts of water in them to do a pool weight workout. So it's about 45 minutes a day. Of course this is easier to do for me now because I live in Florida and have a pool right out my back door But seriously, if you have access to a pool, give it a try. I gained 25 pounds over the course of a year when I had a ruptured disc and then a major flare which didn't end until I started on Arava, and the weight gain is now history, I'm back to my normal size. Prednisone is notorious for putting on the pounds! Have you considered asking your rheumy to try one of the new disease modifiers? I take nothing now but Arava and Soma (a muscle relaxer I use at night), no pain pills, no NSAIDS.

Cheryl

Dogs know how to listen

My guy If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague. Author Unknown
aapsyd21 #85023 07/07/03 03:22 PM
E
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
E
Hi Adrienne
I too was an avid marathoner, I have run 11 of them. When I was diagnosed 2-3 years ago, I thought that I was going to die without being able to run and marathon. It was my life. After a hard transition and many months of only yoga, swimming and stationary cycling (plus 12 hours of sleep a night :-)) I am getting back into running and have been running 2 - 5 times a week only 2 - 4 miles. My Doc says that any exercise will and cannot irritate AS, so when I feel good, I lace up and hit the roads. Ran 5K this morning. Hot as blazes here in Boston, 90+ degrees F, but I am so appreciative to be back on the pavement!
So you hang in there, and look forward to the time when your AS will settle down some, and you can lace those sneakers back up and hit the roads again!

Here's to your running!

Best Regards,

Ellyn

BIGDAS #85024 07/07/03 03:32 PM
E
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
E
HI Damian
I am all about the exercise, but I have to get up and do it, before the energy runs out!
Here's what I do each week:

M - run 3 miles intervals (not like I used to :-()
weights power exercises : deep squats light; clean and jerks; plyo pushups
yoga/hot tub
pm 15 minutes lap swimming (summer time)

T spin 20-30 min
weights: light deadlifts; lateral lunges; posterior pulls for the spine...feels great!

W run 2 miles
weights: all rotational exercises determined to fuse straight!
yoga

Th: Spin 20-30 min
little ab work, and a lot of low back exercises, some arm work
stretch

F: run 3 miles intervals
stretch

don't always get the pm swim in due to energy...or lack of it!

S & Sun are recreational days, I either bike, hike, or kayak with family and TRY to relax and have some fun!

Ellyn

aapsyd21 #85025 12/10/03 09:17 AM
T
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
T
Adrienne,

For me one of the thing that make me flare up is inactivity. Lifting weights
works great for me. I maybe push it too much, but I like to see the good changes
in my body. Without lifting, my life stinks. I stopped lifting this fall because I went
to wyoming mule deer hunting and I payed for it.

Tom

BIGDAS #85026 12/10/03 11:58 AM
C
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
C
I walk almost daily , and stretch when I remember .

Love to go Sea Kayaking when I can . Aerobic if you push yourself , alot of upper body work and twisting which is good .

Calixto

Everyday above ground is a great day ! .
If you don't believe me try missing one .

Everyday above ground is a great day ! .
If you don't believe me try missing one .
Calixto #85027 12/10/03 11:48 PM
G
New_Member
New_Member
G
I have turned into an excercise nut, since my diagnosis. I find that it is the only way to keep relatively mobile. When I take even a day or two off, I notice it immediately. Now, doing exercise with constant pain is sometimes a chore...but I force myself to get up and go do it, and force myself to get into a routine.

Here's what I do:

2-3 times a week. 1 hour "Body Pump" resistance training class
2-3 times a week. 1 hour yoga/taichi/pilates fusion class.
1-2 times a week. 1.5 hours Bikram (hot) yoga.

Plus I try to do some form of cardio 1/2 hour before these classes (except for Bikram) too.

I find that the resistance training keeps my muscles in shape, and the cardio warms my body up and helps me keep lean.

However, its the yoga classes that have had the most impact on my body and life. Especially the Bikram in the winter. (Bikram is basically yoga done in a hot/humid room--they heat it to 105F). Yoga keeps me limber enough to continue on....

I couldnt imagine how bad I'd be if I didnt exercise regularly....my AS is bad enough as it is!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 113 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM