Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
One of my big concerns about the NSD is the general reliance on quickly absorbed sugars instead of the more complex carbs and fibre that can sustain the colon. Once you remove starch, the remaining foods tend not to have many non-sugar carbs, which brings me to sunchokes....

Apparently sunchokes are very high in inulin, which is a non-starch carb. Our bodies lack an enzyme required to digest inulin, so it's a feast for bacteria in the large intestine (if you've ever eaten them, then you're aware of their gassy effects). It basically behaves like fiber, which is something that I find it hard to get enough of on NSD.

I'd wondered for awhile if they might be ok. I had some last fall and didn't flare, but my starch tolerance has improved and one meal wasn't enough to test so I really went for it! I planted a few in my garden last fall and have had an extremely abundant crop - one plant gave me 10 lbs, and I have 8 more plants to harvest.

So last week I tried eating them every day for a week and GUESS WHAT? No pain!! Like none at all. I usually get some faint stiffness in my fingers if I eat a cheat food (e.g., half a potato) but I ate large quantities every day and not even a twinge. I'm pretty excited about this - I have been worried about the long-term impacts of NSD on other health issues, so I feel like this resolves a fairly big gap and concern.

Has anyone else had experience with eating Jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes? If so, did you flare?

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, Kellybells:

Some people do react to them, but they are normally fairly well tolerated. One issue is preparation. In natural state they are pretty benign, but if processed--especially fried--they can become problematic.

bon appetit,

John

J
Active_Member
Active_Member
J
Thank you for this Kellybells. I wouldn't have thought of eating them but now plan to try. I used to make a delicious soup with them so I think I'll do that again.

Spondyloarthropathy with symptoms of AS, Sjögrens and fibro. Previously took Celebrex, Methotrexate, Trepiline, Prednisone which seemed to trigger a flare and my illness became much worse. Symptoms now kept mostly under control with NSD, as well as cutting sugar, dairy and yeast and food intolerances. Mostly pain free now and all symptoms massively improved.
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
A quick update on the sunchoke experiment:

I had a very decent harvest this year so I've been eating them a few times a week. Happy to report that they continue to be totally reaction free!

I mostly roast mine in olive oil so they get nice and crispy, which has the same effect as frying. I also cook them from raw into a soup. Also happy to report that I have yet to see a difference in reaction based on preparation - both have been entirely tolerable.

One more thing: my sleep has really improved since I started eating them. I cant be sure it's related but it's been the only change to my diet/supplement routine. I fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer, which is a relief after a months long stretch of terrible sleep.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM