Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Has777 Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
I was wondering if anyone knows if AS can cause gastritis or duodenitis? I only started noticing AS symptoms in December, and they developed quite quickly in January.

Then in mid January I completely lost my appetite and they did a gastroscopy on the 4th of March and found moderate flat erosive gastritis on the bottom wall of the stomach and antrum, and also duodenitis on the duodenal bulb and the first part of the duodenum.

I can't even remember the last time I've had NSAIDs. It's been many years ago, and even then it was just the one off for a headache. They also did a CLO test during the scope and I tested negative for h. pylori.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this?

Bryan Hassler
C
Active_Member
Active_Member
C
A.S. itself cas lead to all sorts of stomach and bowel problems but NSAIDs. can add to the problem as they are notorious for causing stomach problems. Still at least the problem from NSAIDs. can be resolved by taking stomach protecting drugs such as lansoprazole or similar medication.

H
Has777 Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
I'm actually hoping to wean myself off of PPIs because of some of the things I've been reading about them, side-effects, and the possible low-acid argument for the cause of GERD/GORD, rather than high-acid.

Does anyone have any info on how to safely do this? Possibly through use of HCL?

Bryan Hassler
AS Czar
AS Czar

Hello, Bryan:

Yes, I do believe that AS can cause the inflammation Your UGI study found. After many years, I'm more convinced than ever that my own AS was greatly exacerbated by SIBO and nothing prevents our nemesis bacterium from expanding its territory because it is uniquely hardy even in acid environments. However, that alone may not be the mechanism: Our own tissue is attacked by our immune response to the presence of the K. pneumoniae, so it more likely is due to molecular mimicry and with proper diet, long-term, this inflammation will be reduced.

I highly recommend a cleansing fast, followed by enteric-coated oregano oil, and continual use of the oils (EVOO and borage seed), also.

HEALTH,
John

C
Active_Member
Active_Member
C
Originally Posted By DragonSlayer

and with proper diet, long-term, this inflammation will be reduced.

But please remember not all of us believe in diet as a way of treating A.S.

H
Has777 Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
Thanks John for the advice. I am willing to give fasting a shot, but I have to convince my wife, as I've lost a lot of weight from the gastroduodenitis and diet changes. She's worried about me, which is understandable. Thanks again!

Bryan Hassler
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hi, Bryan:

Understand. The average actual weight loss for fasting is about 1/2 pound per day and only four or five days to achieve great results. You can put the weight back on easily (I sure did!).

HEALTH,
John

AS Czar
AS Czar

Hello, Cymro:

Quote:
But please remember not all of us believe in diet as a way of treating A.S.

The reply was for an individual, not for "all of us" and he might be surprised if, despite what he (or all of us) believes, fasting and diet actually help.

All a skeptic needs to do is fast a week before understanding the connection between AS and food in general.

The debate is, properly, that a person's individual decision to treat their AS their own way is just that--a personal decision. We are only here to provide options, based upon our own experiences and not what some of us "believe."

Everyone has the right to seek out and pay for a professional "medical opinion." They do not need this (or any) website for that, certainly. I can pay a doctor to tell me what I want to hear all day long and it will not reverse the damage I'm stuck with.

HEALTH,
John

H
Has777 Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
Thanks John,

I've been on PPIs longterm and they changed my meds and gave me a higher dose to treat the gastritis/duodenitis. I lost my appetite completely back in January and still haven't gained it back.

Since the PPIs are meant to be taken prior to food, what would you do in my position? I'm hoping to wean off PPIs eventually anyway, but I'm worried about what this might mean for healing my gastritis/duodenitis. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Has777; 03/28/19 08:49 AM.

Bryan Hassler
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hi, Bryan:

Long before I found out about the diet and germ connection with AS, I developed gastritis due to NSAIDs. I fasted for 11 days to eliminate the inflammation and heal my tract from stomach on--

Then I changed my diet to exclude milk products but in ignorance still ate starches. Nevertheless, this fasting took care of the ulcers but not the GERD; it took diet and ABX to eliminate this.

If fasting is difficult, You can try a fruit monodiet. Apples are best in September in N. Hemisphere but I have had great success with cherries (May timeframe). Just three days followed by plenty of EVOO (about 4-6 oz end of final day...slowly by the tablespoonful then). And try eating just a little--2oz max per day--probiotic yoghurt, or a natural fermented kim chee or sauerkraut.

Enzymes may be helpful in avoiding more damage and instead of PPIs try taking ACVinegar at the end of any meal and don't lie down for a couple of hours after eating. Extra enzymes can be supplemented especially using papain helped me. But I do remember the GERD very well and had some dangerous episodes inhaling stomach contents on my way to sleep! That aspect has been totally gone for many years now, thankfully.

The duodenitis will cause "dumping," or the premature movement of chyme before properly finished with in stomach. Betaine HCl along with oxbile and pancreatic enzymes can help avoid or minimize the negative effects of this. Hopefully, however, the monodiet and brief fasting period will help eliminate this, also.

These are things I have done with some degree of success; we are all different and need to experiment to arrive at proper levels.

Supplementing with vitD, zinc, calcium, magnesium, and taking fresh wheatgrass juice when under a flare, also helped mitigate these problems. Be sure and take the EVOO and also when under a flare take borage seed oil (6-8g per night; a lot). The oils will be a big surprise as to the extent of their help, also!

HEALTH,
John

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)