Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Robin_H #518117 01/24/18 05:49 PM
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Originally Posted By Robin_H
I just want to add or ask...

Is our diet too restrictive and hence reducing the variety of species in our gut and hence reducing the robustness and tolerance of our immune system?

I absolutely believe that the limited diet on NSD affects the diversity of our mircrobiomes. There is lots of research that shows low carb diets reduce diversity, especially when low in fermentable carbohydrate. And there are likely issues with this in the long term (e.g., possible impacts to colon health, impacts on sleep, body temperature,etc.) But I see that as something to grapple with in the longer term.

For now, I really think that the reduction in inflammation is better for my overall health and immune system than the lack of fermentable carbs. Right now I want pain relief and an extended opportunity to heal. So I will continue to use NSD to 'starve' the bad bacteria and the 'weed and seed' protocol to shift the balance. And hopefully one day I will be able to incorporate foods that will support a broader diversity.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
R
R
Thank you Kellybells and Robin. I already take lots of magnesium but I will check out that new product. This Dr. Brown is in Plano, TX which is only like 20 minutes from me so maybe I'll go see him.

AS for the Prescript-Assist, I will probably need to try and see if they help. What is the "weed and see" protocol?

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Pretty cool that you live so close! Will be curious to know your results if you try the Atrantil.

'Weed and seed' means alternating probiotics for 6-8 weeks with herbal antibiotics (e.g. berberine, oil of oregano, peppermint oil, etc.) for 1-2 weeks. Idea is that the 'weeding' kills off bacteria, including the bad guys, while 'seeding' helps replenish it, taking up real estate that was occupied by the bad guys, and shifting the makeup of the microbiome

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By Kellybells
I'm curious: what's the longest you've gone without falling off the (NSD) wagon?

For me, within the past two and a half years, at most two months. That was probably only at the very beginning.

I quickly got better at that time (damage was not noticeable when there was no inflammation) and began to eat noodles in the morning everyday and coffee a couple times a day. Perhaps other rare abuses were well tolerated.

Sadly, these days I am terrible at staying on the wagon, suffer a lot and can feel the accumulating damage. Just over a year ago I did not have a problem with my sacrum but now it is chronically burning and stiff. Since October symptoms of tingling, burning, needles and a throbbing are in my but, hands, face, neck, legs and feet -- worse in the middle of the night along with head and neck pain which diminish after a couple of hours. But the leg and arm symptoms are becoming more persistent in the day. Burning and stinging sensations in the calfs, feet and both left cheeks are constant now.

For those that find relief using NSD let me be a warning to stay on the wagon.

After last night I believe that I'm loosing ground on starch tolerance and my diet is narrowing -- I went out for a LSDinner. It feels like I really need to both weed and feed concurrently. A week ago the cheese cake with coffee and cold noodles was not as intense. I need to stop sticking my finger in the fan! No sympathy please!

The way I feel the disease migrates in my body gives me the strong impression that the cause is microbes that can hide in the cells and evade antibodies in the blood. They prefer collagen but don't mind mucousal membranes either (the gut, sinuses, etc); they seem to like muscle and nerve too. I don't know if Klebsiella can sequester in the cells but I doubt that it is the only cause. I don't think a definitive marker will ever be found but as infectious agents become more accepted then doctors will have to resort to interpreting a test like the Western Bolt test used in Lyme Disease, but including the use of the human metabalome on micro-arrays combined with AI would be better. I do not know why the technology is not common in medical practice already. All the components were already in development fifteen year ago (minus massive databases). Right now, what I see are organizations trying to collect genomic, metabolomic and medical history to build massive datasets. It's just business that slows down medical advances. Ethics and trust also.

Your Cynic!
Kevin

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By Kellybells
I used www.cronometer.com to track my daily starch intake.

Is cronometer able to break down carbohydrate consumption into percentage of calories from general starch and sugar types: glucose, fructose,... soluable, insoluable,resistant starch, etc? Or did you do that on your own?

Thanks
Kevin

2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
R
R
Got it, maybe I need to weed and seed too! how do you take the berberine, oil of oregano, peppermint oil and how much of it?

Also, where do you buy Presvrip-Assist? I saw this on Enviromedica site:

PLEASE NOTE: Enviromedica no longer distributes Prescript-Assist due to
substantial changes made to the formula by the manufacturer.

Any inventory purchased directly from Enviromedica or an authorized Enviromedica reseller, is the original Prescript-Assist formula, which is backed by clinical studies, and manufactured prior to these changes. Enviromedica is currently in development of an advanced soil-based probiotic that will release in 2018.

Robin_H #518133 01/26/18 03:14 PM
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Cronometer shows breakdown by carbohydrate type and sugar type.

You can see this in your daily log (you have to change the settings to get the sugar breakdown) and also when you check individual foods. Here is an example of the latter:

The daily log is really detailed, and you can add more (like the sugar breakdown) to the default. I mainly use it for starch but the nutrient breakdown is also really good, since NSD makes it harder to eat a balanced diet. Here's an example of what the default log looks like:

I don't use it all the time, just for short periods to either get on track or to stay on track.

Last edited by Kellybells; 01/26/18 03:14 PM.

ranger7 #518135 01/26/18 03:40 PM
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Ranger: I buy Prescript-Assist online from whatever vendor has the best price at the time. I think last time was from Nourishing World? But I've also found it on Amazon. It's pretty easy to find, especially if you live in the US (not all vendors ship to Canada).

As for the 'weeding', I usually take 2-3 pills a day or whatever it says on the bottle. So, for example, I would take 500mg berberine 3x day. I usually stick with one kind of herbal for the duration, and usually go 10-14 days. It's not a strict plan.

What I am very rigid about during and after the weeding phase is NSD. I think this is a must. My thinking is that the herbals are killing a broad range of bacteria, both good and bad, which means freed up space for the taking. If you don't limit the bad guys' food during this time, I think you risk giving them even more room to grow. (To be clear: I have no proof of this, it's just a pet theory).

Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Kellybells:

I am having my last "normal" dinner tonight and then beginning a three day fast (I probably need longer). I will break it with a beef bone broth soup and maybe a boiled egg. I've been consuming antimicrobials for only 24 hours before this fast -- choosing to fast was a rash decision while I was "seeding."

I find that if I drink antimicrobials while fasting then it really hurts the gut. I will stick with pure water.

Advice anyone?

Robin_H #518139 01/27/18 09:51 AM
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
For those interested in the early attempts at building a functional metagenomic database see the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDINfkgNvY

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 60 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,115 hmmm
1,323,530 OMG!!!!
712,041 PARTY TIME!