Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
I also do not do well on very low carb diets. Ketosis makes me feel very edgy.

But I have found NSD doesn't have to be super low carb. I eat about 100 grams of carb each day, mostly well cooked broccoli, spinach and zucchini and lots of low sucrose fruit like cherries and kiwi. (I've been trying to limit disaccharides too.)

I'm really sensitive to starch so even low starch foods like nuts, apples, carrots, cocoa, etc. cause me pain, so my diet is still pretty limited. But I'm nowhere near ketosis.

I can also say that my mood, especially my anxiety, has improved a great deal on this diet.

Best of luck!

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By drone3
Thanks Jan & FF, I think you guys are right and I'm in a state of ketosis. It's quiet unerving and the afternoons for some reason are like the twilight zone. I'm struggling but I have to persevere, I just can't live with that pain.

Hi drone3, I think you are well ahead of me when I was just starting out. The biggest counsel I can provide to you is make sure you're eating enough non-starchy carbs. It's not a no-carb diet, it's a no-starchy carb diet.

Don't be afraid to load up on broccoli, kale, baby bok choy, chard, etc. Leafy greens are generally safe, and also healthy and chalk full of nutrients.

I have found that the cores of cucumbers test positive for starch so I remove the cores before I eat a cucumber.

Also make sure your Vit B and your Zinc don't have any starch as well. Just because the label on the bottom says starch free doesn't guarantee it. I have found testing vitamins (and foods) using iodine is the best indicator of whether there's some starch present.

As far as supplementing goes, I actually am pretty tame and really stay mainstream. I'm a huge believer in Vit C, and recommend pretty healthy doses there.

This year, I discovered almond butter. That opened up a whole new world for me and is now a luxury for me.

At one point, I also reintroduced butter into my diet. It's the only dairy that I eat. I eat copious amounts of butter now, and don't have any reactions. Plus, everything tastes better with butter!

I don't have any experience with Tempeh, Diatamacous Earth, or Bentonite Clay so I can't comment there. I experimented with Triphala in the beginning but over time found better solutions to induce regularity (ACV, Vit C, priobiotics, etc.).

Anyhoo, I hope that helps. Best of luck!

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
J
Active_Member
Active_Member
J
Hi Drone3 - here's another curved ball for you: looking at your diet there are two factors that strike me as possibilities.

Firstly, might you have become yeast sensitive? I am, and therefore apple cider vinegar does not agree with me at all. It gives me the same symptoms you describe, plus various little aches and pains and depression.

Secondly, you might be lacking in certain vitamins. B vitamins are key to mood problems, and so are essential fats. Check vitamins for starch content!

Mood issues and depression can also be part of your illness, and whatever is causing the 15 per cent pain could be contributing. Do you get any tummy symptoms? They can provide clues. In your case I think this is not the most likely of the answers I've suggested, but I'm throwing it out there in case.

How about adding into your diet a few other salad ingredients, like lettuce, celery, sweet bell peppers, tomatoes? You might also be fine with cabbage and broccoli. Also adding in a little fruit - papaya, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries all seem to be low risk. Maybe also oranges and grapes, and using lemon juice with your olive oil as a dressing for your salads. Good luck!

Spondyloarthropathy with symptoms of AS, Sjögrens and fibro. Previously took Celebrex, Methotrexate, Trepiline, Prednisone which seemed to trigger a flare and my illness became much worse. Symptoms now kept mostly under control with NSD, as well as cutting sugar, dairy and yeast and food intolerances. Mostly pain free now and all symptoms massively improved.
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
I have adapted to ketosis. Side effects are regeneration of pancreatic cells (not that I need that) and also strengthens brain cells by encouraging them to create more mitochondria.

But I have also noticed that fasting lowers AS symptoms. Another side effect might be gut healing for those of us that suffer from gut damage.

I tend to eat two high density meals spaced eight hours apart. The one about 3 to 4 hours before bed time is very high in protein and fat. I am considering going for one meal a day based on Nun S. Amen Ra's system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR1FCJS8DoM There was a time that I had to be constantly eating and would easily feel dizzy from lack of food. Not any more.

My mood is mostly effected by non-restorative sleep which is triggered by a hyperactive system likely due to immune system activity. The immune system activity is hightened by starch.

I agree that lack of food can cause sluggishness and perhaps crankiness due to hunger. Perhaps a good way to boost energy is 1) conserve it by avoiding stimulants like coffee 2) add more fat and protein for the calories and to prolong satiation. Plants, like chinese food, leave us hungry an hour after eating. 3) get a lot of sleep.

Those are just suggestions. Your mileage will vary.

Kevin

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Drone3:

Disregard my suggestion about more fat and protein. Your diet looks very rich. I have not read the whole thread but maybe a supplement might help???

I hope you found a solution already

Kevin

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 33 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome All New Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have