Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#516434 01/17/17 03:09 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Has anyone else noticed that eating food with msg causes flare ups? Low starch diet has made a big difference but I cant touch meat like salami or pepperoni, ost processed foods or chinese food or I get really bad flare ups.

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
I have been trying to figure out what caused A.S. flare ups for over 55 years and still have no idea. I best a load of scientists have also had much the same sort of result.

R
R
Yeah, it is exasperating. I think my condition gets worse (not really bad) with too much histamine and maybe just too much table salt. So maybe it is not the MSG but the histamine if the pepperoni are pickled? Or the combination.
If you have problems with histamine, pickled food and processed meat is not good.

Or it is just everything that affects your guts and when your condition is on the edge, small amounts are enough to provoke a flare up?

K
OP Offline
K
I had allergy test and zero histamine reactions. About 2 years ago my wifes father visited and cooked for us daily and henis a chinese chef and used msg in everything. It was my worst flare up in 12 years. I could not walk, bend my spine or turn my neck for a while. I noticed if ai had foods with msg the inflamtion would come on quickly, much quicker the glueten or milk. I took out msg from my diet and it really helped.

R
R
Very interesting! I will keep this in mind. I hope, someone knows about this and post it here.

K
OP Offline
K
I have found some info on oher sites like msgmyth, but not seen anything in here. At least for me there is no doubt msg is a factor and I stay away from all processed foods and sauces. Google the hidden names of msg and you see it is in so much food under unsuspecting names. I found with msg I cant cheap even small amounts cause me inflamation and it hasnt subsided at all in the last few years, where is I can eat a little starch now and then and be ok.

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
So what's this MSG business then?
and before you ask yes I have checked the AS Acronyms section and they don't seem to know what it means.
You're trying to baffle my aren't you!

K
OP Offline
K
Monosodium glutamate (MSG) it is a food additive that is in most processed food, it is basically a free glutamte that is not bound to protein and tricks our minds to thinking we are eating protein, so it is added to food for flavour so they can use cheaper less quailty ingredients. Dont mistake it for natural glutamate which is in almost everything and but is naturally bound to a protein and good for you. MSG is produced and has so many hidden names under labeling laws.

R
R
I couldn't find anything reliable about MSG that proves that it causes any damage for sure. It is suspicious to cause maybe some brain damage but it is not proven yet. Your experience says something different. Definitely something we should keep an eye on.

Hope, you found your enemy and your condition improves continuously!

Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
I haven't run a perfectly controlled experiment to isolate MSG as the triggering factor, but I suspect that it triggers a NASTY reaction in me.

Early in my days exploring diet (before I got strict with NSD and no-sugar) I had a crazy unsettling experience with some chicken or duck from a Chinese deli. I actually felt this awful tingly sensation creep up from my sacrum up my spine. It was terrible. It sure made it a lot easier to give up on eating out...

"But I also have to say, for the umpty-umpth time, that life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- from William Goldman's _Princess Bride_
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 35 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome All New Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable
by Sudhir - 07/24/22 07:34 AM
Let Us Know You Dropped In!
by Magician - 07/15/22 05:46 AM