Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#504837 07/07/14 06:35 AM
A
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
A
Hello there guys and girls,

Im a 35 y/o man and just started to exhibit symptoms of AS in the last few months. My father also had AS. My back pain literally seemed to change almost from one week to the next to a more inflammatory pain at which point I knew it wasnt just a mechanical type issue. Being an athlete Im all too familiar with those types of pains! Anyways, a couple of weeks back I was tested positive for H27 and after my first trip to rhuemy today he's pretty sure I have it although obviously not formally diagnosed. The rhuemy recommended I start on Mobic but I really would like to avoid meds if possible which is what led me to this wonderful site!

Im wondering what the best way of starting the NSD diet is, should I maybe start with a 3 day apple diet to kick things into gear and see if my pain improves or just start off cold turkey with the NSD?

Hello Andy,

There is no one correct answer... some start with fast, some Low Starch and some No Starch.

I started No Starch and very strict... I wanted to get out of pain and know if the diet indeed works.

I had positive results within a week... after a month I was able to get off the NSAID I was still using.

I did not do 3 day apple fast until over 1/2 year of first being on diet. But it is an option... I had never fasted prior to that, so was something a bit extreme for me at the time... but after all the reading on nutrition and health I did in first year of all my diet changes (back in 2002), I consider a fast something that the body needs.

Now I fast every Thursday and avoid food. I believe it helps immensely.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
A
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
A
Thanks for the advice Tim. I'd like to go totally cold turkey and go totally NSD but it certainly provides some challenges in terms of modification to lifestyle. I do alot of pretty full on exercise which is very hard in a low carb type scenario as I wont have enough energy.

Its all pretty new to me and Im just getting used to the level of daily pain Im in, what I consider normal, high or low.

I am however pretty determined to go without any NSAIDs as I dont like the look of their long term side effects!

Cheers
Andy

Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I started the NSD straight up in Jan 2011.

Make sure you get lots of good fats in you cleaned up diet.

I'm able to mountain bike 3 times a week (albeit with some pain and stiffness as a result!) for 1.5 hrs at a time based on eating a large salad with meat (chicken or salmon typically), two boiled eggs, and dressing made from 125ml of olive oil and other ingredients. Olive oil works like jet fuel for me. Amazing stuff!

Some diet pointers/ideas:
http://www.spondymonster.com/the-as-protocol/

B27+, 2nd Rheumy: 'inflammatory backpain'.
IBS + SI/lumbar/thoracic/cervical/knee/elbow stiffness & pain.
Managing inflammation very well with diet since Jan 2011.
Slow but consistent reduction in symptoms year by year.
Haven't seen a physician in years.
Took LDN (4.5mg) between 2013-2015, 2018-2019.
M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
I have been NSD for a year and a half, and although i'm not an athlete, i love going to the gym and doing high impact, high intensity work-outs. I'm still doing the same work outs i was doing when i was eating starch and I haven't noticed any changes in my energy/stamina. Try it and you might be surprised !!

Originally Posted By: andywalker1979
I'd like to go totally cold turkey and go totally NSD but it certainly provides some challenges in terms of modification to lifestyle. I do alot of pretty full on exercise which is very hard in a low carb type scenario as I wont have enough energy.

Its all pretty new to me and Im just getting used to the level of daily pain Im in, what I consider normal, high or low.

Yep... big adjustment for me as well at the time. I was big on breakfast cereals, ate Snickers bar, bagel or licorice for lunch and popped something in microwave for evening. My single male cooking skills were non-existent... huge change for me at the time.

I went on book buying rampage regarding diet, supplementing, juicing, nutrition and alternatives for arthritis... I easily purchased 50 books in my first year of dietary changes and read everything I got my hands on.

There is no right answer... I had many ups and downs in my first year with all the changes. Do not pressure yourself.. you have as long as you need to figure this out. Take one day at a time and do what you can.

Best to you on your path forward.

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Initially it will take some adjustment to switch your body to a fat burner yes. But once you are, don't be surprised to find you might start setting personal bests.

If you are the typical athlete who thinks they need a high carb diet for energy, and carb loads for events, then that evidence is being debunked almost every week. When you are a fat burner, evidence is suggesting your body burns typically fat for energy and preserves carbs/glycogen for mostly anabolic 80%-100% short burst activities. e.g. A short sprint, or lifting a HEAVY weight.

What they seem to be promoting these days is train low (as in low carb), and then compete high (add some carbs in before your event). So basically you are training low carb and then boosting carb somewhat the day/morning of the event.

There is a tonne of information on this at http://bengreenfieldfitness.com

Well worth checking out.

And this article might be of value to you.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2014/05/how-much-fat-can-you-burn/

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2014/05/how-much-fat-can-you-burn-2/

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
A
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
A
Thanks for the information guys! Such an awesome source of information!

I seem to be making some progress though, I was on a LSD for 4 weeks with a noticeable improvement in my level of pain.

Last week my wife and I took a belated honeymoon up to far north Queensland so I decided that I would slacken things off a little to see if I could see a visible deterioration in my levels of pain. Boy, did I get a shock, a couple of slices of bread on the first day and some cheese crackers and BANG, I couldn't walk without serious levels of pain!

Im viewing this as a really positive thing as I now know the LSD is working! Back into my normal routine this week and pain levels have returned to normal :-)

Hopefully a couple of more weeks and I'll try to remove my bi-daily NSAID and see what happens.. Exciting times!

Hello Andy,

Thanks for update... if all you are taking is bi-daily NSAID and managing pretty good, then I suspect you are seeing some help from diet.

Best,

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
A
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
A
Yes its literally amazing the difference that it makes. I skipped my anti inflam last night so been without for 3 days and Im ok. I wont say Im completely pain free but Im about 85%.

Next Im going to try and go a week or so without any anti inflams then I'll start to experiment with different foods and start observing/recording the results. Very positive indeed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome to our Newest Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have