Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi

I haven't been here for a couple of years, but I just wanted to let you know that I have been symptom free for a long time thanks to diet changes.

I have been in "remission" or maybe I can call it "cured" since I removed gluten from my diet. I quit in 2011, and around 2012 all the pain was gone and has been ever since. I am also avoiding processed foods, anything that may damage the gut, and I choose organic when I can. I am trying to mostly eat low carb, but I do not get any symptoms if I eat carbs and starch.

I haven't taken any medication, after I read how NSAIDs and other arthritis drugs damage the gut, and how they increase the risk of heart disease.

I am HLA-B27 positive and got Spondylarthropathy/Psoriatic Arthritis in 2010. My grandfather had AS.

I remember the first time I searched the web and visited this and other forums / websites, and I couldn't see many positive stories about people getting well. I hope this information may be of help and hope for somebody.

Hanna

D
D
Hi Hanna, thanks for the post. I just started the NSD bout two months ago, but have been gluten-free for a couple years. (But maybe only from obvious sources, cause that gluten likes to hide in stuff). It seems everyone has a slightly different route to wellness, but with major similarities.

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
That is so awesome!! And I am so jealous! Congrats on getting your life back, and being pain free! Heck ya!

I am so glad you came back to share you story!! Kick some AS out there for us and have fun!

And this will surely inspire others who are newly diagnosed too, so much damage can truly be prevented when this monster is caught early.

xoxo

Last edited by bettyrawker; 07/07/14 04:22 AM.

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
Hanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Dreamer I don't know how strict glutenfree you have been, but I had to cut it out completely. Which means I have to make a lot of food from scratch. They put flour in everything frown And it's not just gluten, but anything that may be hard to digest and may damage the gut. It took me about a year to "heal the gut".

Bettyrawker, yes it is almost unbelievable. I thought my back and tendons were damaged permanently, and now I can run every week with no pain. I don't know what causes this disease - an infection or eating the wrong foods for years - but these diet changes made all the difference for me.

There's other things that went away too - fatigue, dizziness, low bloodsugar/hypoglycemia attacks, legs/arms falling asleep, sleeping problems, night terror /nightmares ++

Last edited by Hanna; 07/07/14 06:29 PM.
crv Offline
New_Member
New_Member
Hi Hanna, great results!
So you were not on NSD, just gluten-free and no processed food?

Congrats Hanna on the great results, hopefully it continues for many years to come.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Gratulerar! Bra gjort wink

B27+, 2nd Rheumy: 'inflammatory backpain'.
IBS + SI/lumbar/thoracic/cervical/knee/elbow stiffness & pain.
Managing inflammation very well with diet since Jan 2011.
Slow but consistent reduction in symptoms year by year.
Haven't seen a physician in years.
Took LDN (4.5mg) between 2013-2015, 2018-2019.
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Hanna, congrats laugh

I'm in a similar boat at the moment, and I hope it lasts. Except at the moment I am not reacting much to starch. Anyways, thanks for giving us the update smile

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
J
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
J
Thanks for posting, Hanna! I am another Scandinavian with what I would consider a success story. It took me two weeks of horrible pain to figure out that I should cut starches, another week and I was off sugars, nightshades and soy as well.
I have a swollen finger that people never notice unless I point it out, and some stiffness in my back that I keep in shape with some yoga. I wonder if I ever will be 100% well, but the way I feel now, life would be completely normal for me even if I do not.
I am curious whether you needed to cut coffee and alcohol in order to heal your gut.
Thanks,
Loha

AS since February 2013
NSD - as of yet no medication.
Hanna Offline OP
OP Offline
crv - no I have not been on a NSD the last years, but I have reduced carbohydrates because I think it is healthier.

Jojo83 - I didnt drink coffee when this disease started, but I began drinking coffee around 2012 and didnt notice any change then, but at that time I think my gut had healed. I have reduced coffee lately, trying to drink more green tea instead. I have drunk some dry white wine all the time, but Im not a big drinker. Sometimes I react to wine (I get some stiffness).

I also get some reaction in the tendons in my jaw if I wear cheap earrings that are not made of noble metal. Seems like Im more sensitive to the environment overall.

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 41 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis
by Missalicia - 05/25/22 05:38 AM
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,180,076 hmmm