Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
Hi I'm new to this forum. I'm a 32 year old female dx with AS for the last ten years. I've had uveitis, inflamed Achilles heal, I've upper back pain limiting my breaths in the morning, and bilateral hip pain limiting my ability to walk at times.

I've taken most of the drugs but have not tolerated them well. I live on NSAIDs now as needed. Im convinced that diet will improve my pain. For a long time I had a very religious three times a week workout that helped me become pain free. I just changed jobs and no longer have that routine and my pain is back with a vengeance. So I came across this forum looking for a quick fix to alleviate the pain because my body is not responding to the non steroidal meds any more.

I feel so overwhelmed reading these posts.i had a hard time accepting my condition and now I don't know if I can accept saying no to waffles and French toast!

I know I have to do this but I don't know where to start. Everything has starch! How do you say no to food? And it's all the things I love frown

Can you tell me how would I eliminate these foods when i eat out or are invited out? What's the best way to start? Should I do the three day apple diet to start?

Thanks

AS Czar
AS Czar
WELCOME, Hippiehiba:

Eating starch-free is somewhat difficult, and there is starch in so much food that is processed. I understand how people can be cavalier about it from pure ignorance: Most people consume massive amounts of processed grains, even IHOP (International House Of Pancakes) was proud when they announced "we put a scoop of pancake batter in our omelets to make them fluffy" (!) ...starch is out to get us everywhere we turn. I used to bring my trusty iodine with me every where I went to eat and had backup bottles in my car; one cannot be too careful.

So it is easy to make the right choices when dining out, but sometimes salad dressing, for example, has been adulterated with corn starch to thicken it, or coatings on meat will have starches and other things to make us flare.

The best source on this topic is Carol Sinclair's "The New IBS Low-Starch Diet," with foreword by Professor Alan Ebringer. And we have a listing of foods and their alleged starch content, problem is cooking vegetables makes the starch more available and many fruits are harvested too early--before the starch has had a chance to convert to fructose.

It is best to do a cleansing diet before the start of the NSD and in fact I like to fast about 5-6 days which will usually take down a flare--longer is better even.

This will not only provide a leg-up on this disease, but should prove that diet is primary in AS.

NSAIDs are poison and better replaced by GLA (borage seed oil) and please try to get enough EVOliveOil throughout the day--just sip by the teaspoonful but not so much to cause gag reflex. Some citrus can be added.

"Just say no!" Say NO to the pain. For a time, eat to live instead of what most of us practice--the opposite. See how it goes for You after a few months and You will overcome this thing and then, no matter what You eat later on, You will know what to do and have power over this monster.

HEALTH,
John

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Hey sweetie!

We are close in age, (I am 34) and I live with the effects of advanced stage AS, most of my spine is fused, my ribs are fused (no more deep breaths for me), SI fused, ostopenia, etc. But most days are now totally pain free. Unfortunately though it took me 12 years of living with AS and colitis before I really nailed down the right diet for me. So while I don't walk or stride like a supermodel, and I have shrunk 3 inches from where I was years ago, I have developed a slight hunch back too. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the way I eat. My mostly raw, mostly vegan approach to a low/no starch diet has given me a new life and career, teaching classes, hosting private dinners.

Here is your starch free waffle recipe! http://www.againstallgrain.com/2013/02/04/macadamia-waffles-with-fruit-syrup/ (peaches can be a little starchy, but I eat them all the time w/o issue, the riper the fruits for us, the better)

Best of luck to you on this journey! I suggest giving this diet a good 6 months to see what the potential of eating to live can do to you vs. living to eat. I personally believe the best way to get a jump start on the diet would be to go into a 3 to 7 day fresh green juice fast. I would watch the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" (from amazon or netflix) get inspired and just do it!

xo,
Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hippiehiba,

I agree with what Andrea & John has stated. They've been doing posts for awhile here and John is great at the scientific while Andrea makes some killer healthy recipes (or as I would say - the way mother nature intended us to cook).

On my web site, I created a 6-step plan on controlling your AS / autoimmune issues. You can read more at http://100percenthealth.us/ankylosing-spondylitis-cure/

And most importantly, don't give up! We are all unique and have different combinations to get into remission / the cure. You might be one number away from 100% health.

My Autoimmune Blog - Ups & Downs with NSD & SCD, the NEED for Meat and STARCHES, and the Effects of Getting Off Enbrel (biologic) and Going on Humira: http://100percenthealth.us/
Originally Posted By: DragonSlayer
"Just say no!" Say NO to the pain.

This is pretty much the approach I started with when changing to No Starch Diet.... I did not really know how to cook much as single male that ate breakfast cereals in mornings, something to pop in microwave at night and junk food or eating out for lunch. Cooking healthy was huge change for me and actually buying groceries in the produce section.

Took me a few months to get my diet perfected... that said, probably was full year that it took me learning other items to perfect my approach to AS. I hit a big bump even after I thought I figured it all out... we are always learning.

I also watched my favorite movie (Shawshank Redemption) many times... and the motivational parts many more... I can still hear Red saying, "Get busy living, or get busy dying."

The diet takes discipline... when others that do not have AS ask me how I can do this diet, I reply that pain is a big motivator.

Best to you with whatever you choose.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
H
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
Hi Dragon Slayer

Thank you for your kind words. Yes it's time for me to start saying No to pain! I live with it more often than not. It's what makes me so tired all the time. I guess I don't need to tell you what a vicious cycle AS can turn into before you even know it! Before now I never met anyone that understood what it means to be in pain with every movement.
Thank you for your good advice. I didn't know corn starch was also something to watch for or salad dressings! Can you tell me more about your experience with borage seed oil? I live in the Middle East and I don't always have access to buy such things. When and how do you use it? How has it helped? Does it have side effects . (Not like I should be asking since my kidneys probably hate me from all the Advil I take lol. )

I will also read up on it thought the internet as well
Thanks

H
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
Hi Andrea

Thank you for your recipe and motivating post! I'm sorry that your As is advanced but I'm so glad your pain free! I hope it stays that way!

I will look at your website. I live in the Middle East so I hope I can find all the ingredients, recently they have started to import organic and gluten free foods and other such ingredients but they aren't always consistent.

I hope I can stick to a diet change. It's so hard when I don't have a lot of options where I live in terms of dining out, which I do a lot with friends, and when products may not be available if I cook. Previously exercising three times a week was helping me alleviate and mostly eliminate the pain and sleep better at night, but now that my routine is gone I know I have to look for something more stable. Like my food!

I'm so glad I found this website! I don't know anyone who can remotely relate to how I feel when I say ouch every time I get off the couch! reading all these responses makes me feel a little less crazy and overdramatic as I've been made to feel.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted
Xoxo

Hiba

H
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
Hi Andrea!

Thank you for your recipe and motivating reply! I'm sorry your AS is advanced but I'm so glad you are pain free! I hope it stays that way!

I'll try to watch "Fat, sick and nearly dead". I've never heard of it.

6 months is going to be so hard and long I know it! I hope I can change my eating habits. I live in the Middle East so it's really hard to dine out which I do a lot with friends because that's all there is to do even though restaurant choices where I live are limited. some goods are now imported but they aren't always available.
Previously The last three years ,I used to exercise three times a week so I was almost always pain free. Now with this change in routine, I realize I need to change about my lifestyle something that won't change unless I want it to and that would be food!

I'm so glad I found this website. I've never known anyone that can remotely relate to what "ouch"means when I get off the couch or even sneeze!

Thanks!
Xoxo
Hiba

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 44 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis
by Missalicia - 05/25/22 05:38 AM
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!