Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#478735 10/21/12 11:08 AM
OP Offline
Hey everyone,
I've been trying very unsuccessfully with the low starch diet for about 5 months now - as in, I'm just coming out of a horrible two week flare.

I know it's a tricky diet to master, all the more so because everyone can tolerate a different level of starch. Not to mention I do not have the gene.

However in Carol Sinclair's book, she talks about sugar and how she can't have much sugar except for "simple sugars" (natural, single sugars eg fructose). However she is extremely sensitive to all starch so I'm unsure how big or important this is for most people with AS?

If I've been eating chocolate, ice cream, lollies etc (all def. not containing additives with starch), could this be my downfall?

Another AS low starch book (by Micah Cranman) talks about how you can enjoy ice cream and chocolate as much as you like!!

Does anyone here on the no starch diet drink fruit/orange juice?

The prednisone I've been on has made me almighty hungry constantly and hence I have been eating quite a lot of chocolate...hmmm... lucky I'm coming off that now I've starting my Humira treatment yay!

Cheers,
Emily

Diagnosed March 2012
First symptoms December 2011
31 years old
Determined to change my poison into medicine!
Runner, stamp collector, cat lover, cheese lover
G
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
G
Hi,

I find for me I need to limit my sugar intake, I tend to use honey or I have tried experimenting using pureed dates instead of sugar in any baking I do.

Having said that I have been eating a lot of quality chocolate recently, its my comfort food, sometimes milk sometimes plain and seem to be getting away with it.

I dont eat ice cream or lollies, too processed and too much sugar. I am hoping to experiment with homemade ice cream using coconut milk/cream at some point
I think fructose is not so good for us especially in the form of agave nectar. I dont tend to drink pure fruit juice more home juiced veggies with fruit added to sweeten it a bit.

It could be dairy that is causing you a problem. I limit my dairy and did cut it out completely for a spell. I now have hard cheese occasionaly and homemade ghee there is little lactose in them which is a secondary food for the dreaded klebsiella. I have tried homemade yoghurt which if fermented for 24 hours is also lactose free but I dont get on with that so well. I dont have milk or cream.

Hope this helps, as you said we are all different and it is a huge learning curve.

So maybe its not the chocolate but the ice cream?

If you are experiencing hunger pangs try snacking on nuts or dried fruit instead, there are also lots of recipes for baking alternatives and raw snacks on the forum. Its important that your snack food is in the minority of your daily intake you need to eat foods rich in nutrients to help your gut heal. I know that is much easier said than done especially when your body is adjusting to not eating starch and any effects your meds are having. I have been lsd/nsd for one and a half years and I still struggle keep the balance right.

NSD almost all the way
No dairy hard cheeses occasionally and homemade ghee
Still trying to work out what makes me tick and what makes me drop

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi
S
Active_Member
Active_Member
S
A number of us have issues with particular foods (other than starchy foods) causing our disease to flare. Last month I discovered that eggs causes my pain to flare severely. Some folks here have found out that they need to avoid certain food in addition to starch - and everyone is different as to which foods affect them.

I've been following the autoimmune protocol of the Paleo diet for several months. It is relatively low in starch, but mostly focuses on avoiding the most common foods that people might be sensitive to - grains, beans, dairy, eggs, nuts, nightshades, etc. I responded well to the diet within 3-4 weeks, and have recently started testing some of the foods I have been avoiding to find out which ones I react to. So far, nuts are OK, but eggs are a big no-no for me.

Sorry if this complicates the issue! Hope you can figure out what works best for you.

Psoriatic spondylitis for just 3 years, already on disability. Failed with anti-TNF's and methotrexate; can't take NSAIDS; not on any regular pain meds. On the autoimmune protocol of the Paleo diet, with pretty good results so far. Also have to avoid high-oxalate foods.
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
In my little (AS/Colitis) world:

REFINED WHITE SUGAR or CORN SUGAR or AGAVE = BAD.

Fresh Fruits, Dried (unsulphured)Fruits, Medjool Dates, Maple Syrup, Honey, Coconut Sugar, Pure RAW Cacao made into homemade chocolates = GOOD!!!

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
Hello Emily,

If you overdo sugar, can lead to candidas. In past, I have gotten carried away with raisons and ice cream at times... candidas popped up each time. So had to cut out sugar for a while and get intestines healthy again.

I have cut out raisons for good now... limit ice cream to 2 times a week typically. Eat apples, strawberries and other fruits once a day.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
sugar is a verry pro-inflammatory food. i avoid it. it might lead to candidasis for some, it might not, but sugar is pro-inflammatory and it will only add more inflammation if you eat too much. simple as that.

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
Alinus #478864 10/23/12 05:50 PM
A
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
A
Alinus, just curious, what do you snack on?

Mike / 35yo / HLA-B27+ / diagnosed with AS march 2012 / Dermatographic Urticaria since 2017
FODMAP diet, Enbrel, Meloxicam, Tramadol PRN, Xolair for chronic hives.
OP Offline
Thanks everyone - it looks as I suspected, my first attempt at low starch by just cutting out main starches was not enough and probably ruined by sugar, dairy, nightshades and who knows what else!

It's back to the drawing board for me. I'm going to take a break for a bit and try again soon - the other way around, start out super strict (the scary extreme way!). In the mean time I hope my new Humira treatment starts making a difference too!

Cheers,
Emily

Diagnosed March 2012
First symptoms December 2011
31 years old
Determined to change my poison into medicine!
Runner, stamp collector, cat lover, cheese lover
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: an0thermike
Alinus, just curious, what do you snack on?

salted coocked almonds.
sometimes - but rare - green grapes or apples.

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
M
New_Member
New_Member
M
Hi Emily,

Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”. If this would encourage you, try putting this note somewhere in your kitchen where you see it throughout the day.

Also, my husband (with AS) has been taking a TBSP of quality fish oil daily and has seen pain reduction (he'll prob start taking more), along with restricting starches, sugar and dairy.

Here are some articles you may find helpful:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-robert-a-kornfeld/5-ways-to-reduce-inflamma_b_271640.html
http://www.wethechange.com/how-to-reduce-inflammation-in-the-body-and-why-you-need-to-do-this
http://www.lowcarbmonthly.com/general-health/the-relationship-between-sugar-and-inflammation.html

Julie

With God all things are possible
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Welcome to our Newest Members!
by Magician - 08/09/22 10:54 PM
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation