Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
That's good news, Molly! cheerleader

If only we could live a long and happy life as Breatharians..... wink

Louise

Happy to be a physio by day, not happy to be a Spondy 24/7! wink3
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
So long as I can dilute it with my evening bourbon!! <LOL>

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Hello there,

If you are not very sensitive... brown rice and especially basmati rice is more easily digested than other starches. Therefore may be able to tolerate this.

Again... would think gut would have to have more healthy gut to be able to eat.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Good ol' LaMonty used to tell me that the short grain rice (japanese rice I think) has more of an interesting kind of starch that may be safer - amylopectin I believe. Was a few years back so I am a bit vague on the details (or plain wrong (; )

Been a while since I've seen LaMonty on the forums. Hope he is well !!

z

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Here it is! Yep short grain sticky rice is likely to be safest for us as it has a simpler starch (amylopectin) with almost no amylose (standard ol' starch). Long grain bismati may well be the worst for us as it has the most amylose starch.

Now to test the hypothesis wink

Quote:

There are two types of starch in rice: amylose and amylopectin. Amylose is a long, straight starch molecule that does not gelatinize during cooking (think of making gelatin), so rice which contains more of this starch tends to cook fluffy, with separate grains. Long grain white rice has the most amylose and the least amylopectin, so it tends to be the fluffiest and least sticky. Amylose also hardens more when cool, joining tightly together and forming crystals that melt when the rice is reheated. Rice that is high in amylose has a lower Glycemic Index number.

Amylopectin is a highly branched molecule that makes the rice sticky when it's released from the grain during cooking. Medium grain rice has more amylopectin, making it a good candidate for risottos, salads and rice pudding, which are served cold. And short grain rice has even more amylopectin and little to no amylose, so it's used most often for Asian cooking, when you want grains to be sticky so they are easier to eat with chopsticks. Then there's glutinous rice, which is very sticky when cooked, with the highest amount of amylopectin and no amylose. ..
source: http://busycooks.about.com/od/howtocook/a/ricescience.htm

"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Glutinous rice contains a maximum of 1% amylose starch !
But lots of amylopectin - so your mileage may vary depending on your gut flora I suppose.

Quote:

Whether you call it sticky rice, sweet rice or glutinous rice, this round-grained rice is immediately recognizable by its sticky, glue-like texture. What makes sticky rice so sticky is the total or near absence of the starch amylose. Other types of rice contain both amylose and amylopectin; the stickiness of the rice depends on the proportion between the two. So, while a higher amylose content means you can count on a pot of standard long grain white rice to come out nice and fluffy, the lower amylose content in short grain white rice causes the grains to stick together. (If you’re interested, long grain rice contains 19 – 23 percent amylose, compared to 12 – 19 percent for short grain rice). Glutinous rice, on the other hand, contains a maximum of 1 percent amylose, making it very sticky when cooked.(Source: The USA Rice Foundation)
source: http://chinesefood.about.com/od/rice/f/What-Is-Sticky-Rice-Definition.htm

Zark - Facinating. So my fave Basmati is a no-no? Humph! Dang! Mind you, hardly ever do eat rice anyways, but will give this short grain a try - my local supermarket stocks it. Like it occasionally with plain yogurt and hot pickles - South Indian style. (Shades of my many years living in India).

Thanks Zark - most useful input.

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Well, all I know right now is that LaMonty seemed to think short grain/sticky rice was safer due to amylopectin. Also the webpages I read talked about short grain varieties being digested and broken down more quickly by our digestive system.

In Amylose..
"Because of its tightly packed structure, amylose is more resistant to digestion than other starch molecules and is therefore an important form of resistant starch, which has been found to be an effective prebiotic."

In Amylopectin..
is structured in a way "resulting in a soluble molecule that can be quickly degraded as it has many end points for enzymes to attach onto. In contrast, amylose contains very few &#945;(1&#8594;6) bonds, which causes it to be hydrolyzed more slowly but have higher density and be insoluble."

Hanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Interesting. I have been eating sticky sushi rice and basmati rice.

I started NSD in August, my pain-symptoms disappeared. Then I tried to eat bread, just to test - and the symptoms came back. Now they have disappeared and I have tried rice (sticky sushi rice and basmati), as well as a little potato and banana. Nothing has happened. This may be because I ate too little, or because grains are one of my problem-foods. I've only had joint/back pain for 1.5 years, maybe that's why it works quickly.

Has anyone tried anything similar to the Seignalet diet( http://paleozonenutrition.wordpress.com/...disease-trials/) ?

Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
@hanna.

are you diagnosed with AS?

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,497 hmmm
1,323,721 OMG!!!!
712,207 PARTY TIME!