Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#456249 11/15/11 10:29 PM
Hanna Offline OP
OP Offline
I started no-starch in August with good effect. Taking some mg omega 3 in combination with this diet works good for me. However, I have recently found out that I do not (I think) get affected by rice. I have eaten sushi rice sometimes (even in the beginning of this diet), and the other day I ate rice porridge and sushi the same day with no pain.

The only thing I know for sure I react to is grains. I get back ache and swollen tendons the next day, when I for example eat bread.

Have any of you tested if you can tolerate various foods while on this diet?

I suspect it might not be the Klebsiella, but proteins and lectins in various foods, disturbing the gut lining, and leaking into the blood stream.

I've read several places that rice has been eaten by humans for a longer timespan, and that it's less problematic than the "young" grains.

T
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
T
I've been testing but I end up eating so many different things it is hard to tell what is effecting me. I went out to dinner last week and ate a potato with a steak. It didn't seem to effect me at all. If I eat a lot of chocolate I react fairly quickly but then its over quickly. If I eat anything breaded I react a few days later and then it lasts a few days. I haven't tried rice yet.

One thing I notice is I feel really blah on low carbs and if I eat something carb-loaded, I feel really awesome for about 12 hours to a day. Then the reaction sets in and I start hurting. Its like a drug, I get a high from it and pay for it later.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Rice does not affect me too much, that is, I can eat a little, but...has to be Basmati rice! Grains are difficult, they really do cause aggravation - though can eat the occasional slice of brown bread but white bread is definitely out.

AS is a right weird condition.

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hi, Hanna:

At this stage of my healing (14 years into NSD+antibiotics), no starches affect me anymore. The first I tested was rice and the reason it does not affect us is that it is a natural starch insoluble in its natural state, but I believe rice flour would be as deadly as wheat flour; it has been for me.

The FORM is important, consider the grain size and starches that have been processed or turned into flour present a much greater biovolume growth medium--a colloidal suspension that can cover many square meters versus individual units. That said, one of the worst flares I ever experienced was after eating fried rice, so combinations are important also, as well as perhaps the type of preparation.

There are so many variables that we are kept guessing, but I do know that AS is caused by Klebsiella--the antibiotics that did not work against this germ also had no activity against my AS symptoms.

BE CAREFUL--it is a matter of probabilities. We can get away with once, twice, three even more times eating these foods but all of a sudden we will be back in the club--but then we will know why and how to get back out again.

HEALTH,
John

Hanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, I do also think it is the form - the molecular form - that counts. I think Klebsiella might play a role in the gut, but I think proteins leaking into the blood stream might be even more important. Or some kind of food intolerance like this study suggests http://www.arthritistoday.org/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/nutrition-and-ra/ra-food-allergies.php Here they recommend the paleo / stone age diet, which excludes "new foods" such as grains, milk etc.

Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
i have a simmilar opinion towards the role proteins (including the ones our gut bacteria release and may pass into our blood) play into autoimmune diseases. it does not seem necesary for me for bacteria to pass into our blood/system from our gut in order to trigger a flare. it's enough their enzymes/proteins do.

unfortunately i cannot handle rice smile too much starch does play a role into my disease.

also i do find raw foods (mostly roots, even a bit starchy) to go well with my gut&joints, much better than other so called legal no starch foods. the paleo principle - our foods evolved during the last 40.000 years but our guts do not - has a point.

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
J
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
J
I am reading a book called Dangerous Grains by James Braly,M.D.,and Ron Hoggan, M.A. this may help you with your research.

Hanna - Great link. Most interesting. Will save and go back to it.

Joannanas - looked up that book, which led to several more titles. Looks to be worth following em all up.

Thanks guys - good ones.

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
>> If I eat a lot of chocolate I react fairly quickly but then its over quickly. If I
>> eat anything breaded I react a few days later and then it lasts a few days

Very observant !!!
Yeah I have similar reactions but on a different time scale. Wheat causes pain in a few hours for me, but the peak pain is 24 hours later. Simpler starches such as in bananas will cause pain in a few hours but peak at maybe 6 or 8 hours later, and be over quickly too.

Rice -
yeah I used to eat that when I started the Low Starch Diet. Rice was quite well tolerated, but I gave it up in order to further the reduction in pain, yeast infections, iritis, allergies, etc.

z

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
During this recent costo and rib pain flare I could not face food - the thought made me heave. So, went on the apple diet. Bingo. Flare has disappeared! Last Tuesday could not even sit comfortably let alone lie down without the horrible chest pains and now? No probs. And, had a fantastic night last night, really slept, deep and long. This AS is right weird...

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 62 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM