Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bobc Offline OP
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hi All,
Just wanted to say that the author of The Paleo Diet, Dr. Loren Cordain, is doing an extensive scientific study on the effects of the Paleo Diet on autoimmune diseases.

I'm sure many of you are like me and have found that the NSD lines up almost perfectly to the whole Paleo movement.

Anyway, if you have had tried the NSD and would like to participate in this survey you should contact his head researcher:
Trevor Connor, trevorc2@gmail.com, Department of Health and Exercise Science, Colorado State University

I've already taken the 1st part of the survey. It's totally anonymous- randomized user ID/password, etc. They do, however, ask if anyone is willing to contribute their medical records as an attempt to get a clear picture of before diet/after diet biomarkers. This option is totally optional and is not required to take part in the survey.

I'd encourage any and all of you who have had success with the NSD to participate in this survey. Dr. Cordain has some serious scientific credentials and is devoting the "twilight" of his career to the link between our modern diets and autoimmune disease. So this is a great opportunity to have our voices and stories documented by a legitimate scientist.

Best wishes to all,
Bob

Get busy living! www.sickopportunity.com
Bob Connors

Me and my girls
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
That's terrif BobC - at last someone doing a study on starches an arthritic/immuno diseases. Thanks for the heads' up.

(Great photo - v. pretty gals).

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
bobc Offline OP
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hi Molly,
Thanks! I'm pretty excited that Dr. Cordain is doing this as well. I heard him talk on Jimmy Moore's Podcast about his plans to spend the end of his career looking into the connection between autoimmune disease and diet. You can listen to the Podcast here: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/3728/paleo-week-guest-2-dr-loren-cordain-episode-449/

You can fast forward through the first 4 minutes or so to get past the commercials. Jimmy Moore is an interesting character on the low-carb diet scene as well. He's got interviews w/Art Deveny, Denis Minger, Chris Masterjohn and many more.

Take care,
Bob

Bob Connors

Me and my girls
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
I'm taking part in the study! I started back on paleo this week as per some new suggestions (lower salt content and adding sweet potatoes).

thanks for the heads up smile

i've been saying that my LSD doesn't really help my inflammatory arthritis though its great for my insulin resistance, but maybe this would be just the push i need to go further and see if my thoughts are accurate or if i've jumped to an early conclusion. maybe i'm just not going far enough with diet.

i'll check it out.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
K
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
I am also part of the study. The NSD really helped, as did antibiotics (doxy) but the dropping off nuts, seeds and eggs is pushing me over the line.

I played football today and yesterday. I have stiffness in my shoulders and heat in my right hip. But I have complete physical freedom now.

I to follow the grass fed protocol. I am naturally cautious so I don't like to post a success story. If the stiffness in my shoulders goes I may be tempted to type it. Until then I am progressing nicely on the auto immune paleo/ns diet, not 100% but improving. But I am hesitant to say any more.

Imagine if most of what ails us is a product of the rapid proliferation of neolithic foods in the last 100 years. The recent paper by Cordain is freely available on the net and is incredibly empowering for us dieters.

Here is the link:-
http://www.dovepress.com/the-western-die...ed-article-RRCC

It is well worth a read.

Cheers

Keith

K
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
It is fantastic to hear about your success Bob. It gives me a little boost. I have been messing around with diet for 14 months now and I am massively improved.

You say it took you 5 years. What did you tweak that got you over the line? Or was it just time?

I am totally paleo auto-immune diet apart form a couple a beers twice a week. If I plateau 6 months from now I will know why. I am hoping unfiltered and unpastuerised beer with all natural ingredients is just inside the line for me.

Thanks for the posts Bob. It's much appreciated. Would you dare to post on the main forum? You would be pretty brave! I think the Paleo approach is only just beginning and we may all be lucky enough to around in a life time when this is available to us. I am not saying it can cure everything. It can't. But it can eradicate a huge amount of that I am convinced.

Cheers

Keith

Last edited by keit_nufc1; 03/27/11 07:16 AM.
bobc Offline OP
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hi Keith and Sue,

Sue- The LSD did not work for me at all. If I wasn't so pig-headed and stubborn I probably would have given up on the diet then and there and gone back to my meds. But I kept at it and took it to a complete NSD. I had almost immediate results. "Immediate results" might sound like it contradicts what I said about how long the diet took...will address that below. I think it's worth it for you to try to go full NSD. It's a very healthy diet even aside from the fact that it may end up helping your arthritis. (also, where in Upstate NY? I'm from Marcellus originally...)

Keith- I read that article by Cordain a few weeks ago and loved it. I'm obsessed (if you can't already tell) with ancestral diets and nutrition. I'm convinced that our modern diets are responsible for many of our ills. As far as how long it took me to figure out the NSD, let me clarify: I had almost immediate results with the NSD, but continued to get random, baffling flares even while I was on the NSD. It took me a couple of years of playing with the diet to rule out things like apples (unripened when picked/starchy as it turns out), some dairy products, certain nuts, excessive sugar, etc. I didn't start using iodine to test ALL of my food until about a year or so into the diet. That's when I'd find something that I'd previously considered "safe" and rule it out- like the apples. Keeping a food journal helped as well. Honestly, I can understand how some with AS might try this diet and say it doesn't work. Because starch can be tricky and we each have triggers that may not be obvious sources of starch.

As for posting on the main forum: what type of post and where? Do you mean the success story or the one with the info on Cordain's survey? Happy to do so.

Thanks,

Bob Connors

Me and my girls
i did try the NSD very seriously for about a week, but it really seemed to be messing up my blood sugar, just so used to eating beans to balance things out i think, and i noted nothing in the way of inflammation relief so i switched to LSD. i know all the reasons why i probably didn't note any changes, but it was discouraging none the less. still, i'm always open to revisiting old ideas when new data presents itself. so now with robb wolf's book, a rheumy who actually believes that diet, nutrients, gut microflora, and infection in the body can all lead to inflammation of the spondy type, i'm ready to revisit this all once again. also seeing a GP with the same philosophies. and my new chiro believes in all this stuff too. and there is more and more literature out there linking all of these things. so yes, ready to rethink things.

last year when things were so awful with my ribs and none of my docs nor the PT had a clue as to what it was, i was so ready for TNF inhibitors.

but now with a chiro that can help me through a crisis, a rheumy willing to work with me to try to find a solution, be it natural or chemical, ready to see if we can do this with as few chemicals as possible, at least the most powerful ones. though LDN is a chemical, its different, and i'd love to keep that one.

my new rheumy wasn't familiar with LDN, but maybe i can take him literature next time. i know my last rheumy started others on LDN after i taught him about it, i was his first and now he has several people trialing it. but that was all he'd try with me, and i need more.

maybe LDN plus probiotics plus supplements plus diet will do the trick, we'll see. if not, the new rheumy is willing to try other things. he even gave me the option on friday, left it up to me, continue with some of these other ideas or start the ssz. i chose to wait on the ssz, just knowing its there if i choose helps. just like knowing i have pred in the cabinet helps.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Hello Bob,

Thanks for the note... I may contact them, but unsure if will participate.

I have been on the diet for 9+ years now. After 1/2 year was off all meds for good. Still saw rheumies in States... usually once a year in the end. Now here in ARgentina, has been 4 years since seeing rheumy or even GP.

Have "checkups" for new jobs and everything looks good, but do not have the medical records. So unsure how good of a subject I will be other than my word.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 58 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,369,098 hmmm
1,324,085 OMG!!!!
712,501 PARTY TIME!