Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#329531 03/06/09 07:29 AM
Sue22 Offline OP
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
does anyone use flector patches over their SI?
if so, do they reduce the "marbly"/"crunchy" inflammation, not just eliminate pain?

otherwise, i guess its back to wearing the ice packs pretty much all the time.
at least i got that. and when i was doing that during the months of january and february, the soft tissue firmed up and the "marbles" disappeared.

sue

Hey Sue
I have used them off and on for about a year now. They work wonders for me and most of the time I don't have to take oral steroids for relief.

I don't know about fixing the "crunchies" but they make it so its possible to walk more like a normal person.

Keep Kickin'AS
Chris

Keep Kickin'AS
Chris

Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
I have a closet full of them! I remember that they didn't seem to make any difference, but filled the prescription anyway, in case I changed my mind later. Now that you brought it up, and hip is hurting worse than usual, I think I will try them again.

Dow
P
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Nope; didn't work for me. My mom had a few (she's a nurse practitioner), and they didn't help one bit.

Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
well, i hope i'm like you chris in my response, i think i'm gonna ask a doctor to try them. my inflammation responds so well to NSAIDS that i'm thinking i should respond, but unlike the oral NSAIDS, maybe the side effects of edema and gastritis will be less.

sue

L
LAK Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
sue

i have never heard of a flector patch? is it a pain patch?

my friend's father broke his spine and he was prescribedf these patches that contain lidocaine (an anesthetic) to wear all over his back.

is that the same thing?

thanks, leslie

http://islandtails.honadvblogs.com

Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
hi leslie, its always good to see you again,

there's two kinds (at least) of patches (as i've learned from this forum, thanks to all), there are pain patches such as fentanyl and there are antiinflammatory patches such as flector (contains diclofenac). though i guess its the pain that keeps me from being able to focus on much else, i really want to reduce the inflammation to make the pain go away. ice does that for me, but its rather inconvenient at times. an oral drug does it too to some degree, but they have pretty significant side effects for me (edema first, then gastritis second).

i know the patches can cause the same side effects, but maybe, i'm hoping not as pronounced / not as readily.

here's hoping they work without the side effects.
isn't that what we're all after?

sue

Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Hi Sue,
The only kind of patch that has ever worked well for me are lydacaine patches. I swear by them!
Doc gave me an rx for them about 8 years ago and whenever I need a little extra help in a particular spot I use one of these. Can use up to 3 a day and can even cut them up for small areas like the tops of my feet.
I tried the flector patch when they came out, but it really didn't help as well as the lydacaine.

Hope you find something that works for you!
Lisa

Sue22 Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks for the head's up. maybe i can try both?
this doctor clearly instructed me to "forget a diagnosis" and focus on treatment.

i'm going to half listen, i'll keep looking for a dx elsewhere, but in the meantime, i'll have him work with me on further treatments. my original 10 year protocol needs some tweaking. this looks like going to the next level for me. what do i have to loose?

sue

Hey Sue
I hope that they work for you too. Don't expect total relief from the first patch, and follow the directions of changing patches every 12 hours and using a full patch. Another tip, the adhesive on the pads suck..I use tape around the edges of mine. I like the fact that you are zeroing the med right to the spot that needs it. You aren't filling your system with a med and waiting for it to get to that place. My pain management doc ordered them for me when I tore a muscle in my back after my stimulator surgery and they worked great. So when My SI flaired again, I thought what the heck is there to lose so I slapped one over my SI and within a day or so I was feeling better, and didn't have to take oral steroids. It's not fool proof but it sure is a possible replacement to the 'roids sometimes. I keep a box of them close by..

I hope that they work for you.

Keep Kickin'AS
Chris

Keep Kickin'AS
Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!