Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
>> Those chair 'riser' thingmies, are they transferrable to cars? <<

Inanna - Yes. They are transferable. Although, having said that there 'may' be specific ones adapted to size and shape of car seats, depending on what type of car seat - bench, sports car bucket seats etc...!

Additionals: there are long handled shoe horns (which make good back scratchers), sock puller-uppers, reachers for shelves - all kinds of goodies. You'll see any number outlined in those links I posted.

Hope all goes well.

Molly
Keeping on Keeping on (checking stuff out)

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Inanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much Molly. That should help.

I spoke to Mum this morning and read her your replies. She asked me to convey her thanks to all of you. Said it was very sweet. And she thought it was neat that she was getting advice from all over the world.

Many hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Kat - Forgot this one. Non-slip bath/shower mat. Important. Too easy to 'slip'. A non-slip is pennies but can save a real bad mess of a fall. Ensure that any surface likely to be a slip surface is guarded, but not to fall over on! Inside bath or bottom of shower. Place a non-slip.

Another nugget. Hospitals over here advise (and many provide) use of a antibacterial wash. Body to be rinsed off for one week before. Rinse hair in. Ensure nose and nether quarters are rinsed in, the wash. This is to guard agin MRSA and other hospital acquired nasties! Change all bed linen, wipe down tap handles, loo pulls etc. Bring wipes into hospital with one. USE. Just sensible precautions - especially when it is orthopaedic. (Tap handles and loo pulls especially harbour the nasties bugs). AquaSept is what we have over here - bound to have summat similar over there.

Say 'Hi' to yr mom. Go well -

Molly
Keeping on Keepin on (well, she sure does! )

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
G
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
G
Hi Kat

As we live in a rural area, I have had to call on a group call Community Care Access. They came in twice to give me physio, Occupation Therapy and counselling. Maybe they would have this group in your mother and beau's area.

Take Care

Gerri

Inanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Molly, thanks for the additional suggestions. I'll pass them along.

Hugs,

Kat

"Strictly Ballroom"

Inanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Gerri, thanks for the tip! I'll look into it and give the info to Mum. They're in Muskoka, which you would think would have good medical services since it's a massive tourist area. Nope. The nearest is Barrie, then the GTA. Sudbury is next closest!

Hugs,

Kat

"Strictly Ballroom"

Active_Member
Active_Member
I had my hip done a year and a half and I went home after 5 days. I think 3 days is a little short. I think 4 would be the least I could have done it, and I'm pretty young (for a hip replacement anyway). The hospital that I went to, provided me with an in-hospital rehab crew that taught me how to cope at home on my own. They will tell you that there needs to be someone there at all times! We have stairs and I climed the stairs (on crutches) everyday not for exercise, but because that was where I slept. It wasn't bad at all, the pain of dealing with the AS is way worse than the minor inconvienience of rehab and dealing with recovery. It happens fast, but make sure someone is with him at all times to prevent falls especially if he has to climb stairs like I had to.

Don in CA

Inanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Don and thanks.

Mum's boyfriend is going to be staying at a retirement home in town for two weeks post-op. This place takes people for short terms like this, for just this eventuality. It's close enough that Mum can be there every day, which is nice. And it'll be easier on Mum. She's 65 and while she's strong and quite fit, there's no way she'd be able to lift him if he fell and she was very worried about something like that happening.

He'll have a bedroom at the back, which opens out onto a forested area, so he can watch the birds and deer feeding. That's perfect for him. He's a real nature guy - canoeing, hiking, bird watching (that's how he and Mum met). He only lives in town during winter, but from spring thaw he's at a log cabin 45 minutes north of town, surrounded by old trees on a crag above Lake Rosseau.

The replies from everyone here went a long way toward easing Mum's mind. So a heartfelt thanks from me to all of you. You guys so totally rock!!

Many hugs,

Kat

"Strictly Ballroom"

D
Deb Offline
New_Member
New_Member
D
I had both of my hips replaced at the same time due to a.s. back in 2004. I used a heavy plastic sheet placed in the seat of the car to help me swivel out. A walker is a must! It was my best friend and went everywhere I did. Even in the shower to help me stand and climb out. A bench for inside the bath is really handy, especially when you have to shower alone. Don't forget a cane. The High Johnny was a great lift for the toilet. It sat right on the toilet, but be carefull you sit back far enough or you may get your socks wet. At the pharmacy you can find a pack with a "grabber", "sock ease", and scrubber for the bath. It is very important to due some kind of p.t.. I hope the hospital will provide most of this for him, if not ask to speak to a social worker. Check with the medical equipment places, some donate or let you use and return. Maybe they can help. You also need to place some kind of lifts under his favorite chair or sofa so that he doesn't bend his hips past the 90 degree angle. I had a friend make some wood platforms for under my furniture. He'll feel so much better! I stood and walked to a chair and sat like a human for the first time right after I woke up from surgery. Good Luck!!

Inanna Offline OP
OP Offline
Deb, thank you so much. The plastic sheet on the car seat is a great idea!! I'll be sure to pass it along.

Hugs,

Kat

"Strictly Ballroom"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,208 hmmm
1,323,581 OMG!!!!
712,074 PARTY TIME!