Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Platypus #216141 01/20/06 07:36 PM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hi there, I do understand your qualms about the no starch/low starch diet. I do not, personally, believe that it is healthy to eliminate all starches from your diet. However, having eliminated wheat (which is the most difficult grain for our bodies to digest) and about 75% of oats, corn and potatoes from my diet, as well as cow dairy, I have noticed a big difference in my pain and inflammation levels. And I've tested this on a number of occasions, all of which resulted in massive flares, especially when I have wheat and cow dairy combined.

Instead, rice and spelt are my main grains, sometimes kamut and/or quinoa. Also, I eat goat and sheep cheeses. I do allow myself organic yoghurt made from cow dairy, but it's organic and I've not had much problem with it.

After almost four years of this, I now, on those occasions when I do break the diet (since Remicade, I can eat small amounts of wheat on occasion), notice a huge difference in how my stomach feels. Wheat sits there like a lead weight. It's not worth feeling like that on a regular basis to try to reintroduce it to my diet other than for the rare treat on very special occasions.

Maggie, you have to do your own research, but far too many of us have felt the benefits of this to discount it as a fad diet. It does resemble the South Beach and Atkins diets, but that's not what it is. However, you are the only one who can make these decisions, as it's your body and only you know how you feel physically. Should you decide against it, there are many here who agree with you and, regardless, we will support you in your decision.

As for humidity ... you are sooooooooooooooo not alone in that!!!

Many hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Inanna #216142 01/21/06 04:58 AM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Kat,

I am very thingy about the issue of diet. I tend not to trust any of the "fads". On the other hand, I do agree there is room for a further review of my eating habits and that I need to make changes based upon anything that I am observing. Until I actually write down what is happening, I cannot know for certain if there is a link to the starches or not. I am playing a wait and see game.

I do believe that I have done well over time, since I have been on the NSAIDS since I first began having problems and I have responded well to that treatment. I am also responding well to Neurontin.

I saw somebody say that she had a fit when she went off Neurontin very suddenly. This is somewhat unusual. I am using samples provided by my doctor and I was forced to be without Neurontin for several months. My pain levels sky-rocketed during that time, but I did not have any fits. I guess this is further evidence that we all react differently.

I still feel that I am in no man's land because of the slightly positive RF and slightly positive ANA. Then there is the elevated CRP.

Maggie

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
Platypus #216143 01/22/06 08:52 PM
Hiya Maggie,

Although the No Starch Diet it does have some similarities to Atkins it is actually quite different and very healthy. I don't believe Atkins is healthy because it restricts most fruit and many vegies. On the No Starch Diet 60-70% of the diet is actually fruit and veg. Another 5-10% is nuts.

I can vouch for the effectiveness of this diet in helping with AS. My husband Jon has been on it for nearly 2 years and his daily pain levels have gone from 8/10 to 1 or 2/10. He hasn't taken a NSAID or even paracetamol/Tylenol since March 2005.

Here's some more No/Low Starch Diet Success Stories

And here's some info I found when I was having a squiz on the paleo diet website (similar diet to NSD):

Quote:

Aren't whole grains good sources of fiber, minerals, and B vitamins? How can I get these nutrients if I cut down or eliminate grains from my diet?

On a calorie-by-calorie basis, whole grains are lousy sources of fiber, minerals, and B vitamins when compared to the lean meats, seafood, and fresh fruit and veggies that dominate The Paleo Diet.

For example, a 1,000-calorie serving of fresh fruits and vegetables has between two and seven times as much fiber as does a comparable serving of whole grains. In fruits and veggies most of the fiber is heart-healthy, soluble fiber that lowers cholesterol levels -- the same cannot be said for the insoluble fiber that is predominant in most whole grains.

A 1,000-calorie serving of whole grain cereal contains 15 times less calcium, three times less magnesium, 12 times less potassium, six times less iron, and two times less copper than a comparable serving of fresh vegetables.

Moreover, whole grains contain a substance called phytate that almost entirely prevents the absorption of any calcium, iron, or zinc that is found in whole grains, whereas the type of iron, zinc, and copper found in lean meats and seafood is in a form that is highly absorbed.

Compared to fruits and veggies, cereal grains are B-vitamin lightweights. An average 1,000-calorie serving of mixed vegetables contain 19 times more folate, five times more vitamin B6, six times more vitamin B2 and two times more vitamin B1 than a comparable serving of eight mixed whole grains. On a calorie-by-calorie basis, the niacin content of lean meat and seafood is four times greater than that found in whole grains.

Hope this helps, good luck to you in whatever your chosen course for treating your AS is
Chelsea

Oh, and also I forgot to say that at this stage you probably won't notice a correlation between eating starch and an increase in pain. This is because you are basically in a constant flare all the time. It's only once you reduce/eliminate the starch and your AS symptoms improve and then if you add it back in you will notice an increase in pain directly related to increased starch intake. Also, pain meds/NSAIDS tend to mask things also. So your best bet if you wanted to would be to try the diet for at least a month or so and see how you go from there.

Last edited by Kiwi; 01/22/06 09:13 PM.
Kiwi #216144 01/22/06 09:40 PM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Quote:

Hiya Maggie,

Although the No Starch Diet it does have some similarities to Atkins it is actually quite different and very healthy. I don't believe Atkins is healthy because it restricts most fruit and many vegies. On the No Starch Diet 60-70% of the diet is actually fruit and veg. Another 5-10% is nuts.

I can vouch for the effectiveness of this diet in helping with AS. My husband Jon has been on it for nearly 2 years and his daily pain levels have gone from 8/10 to 1 or 2/10. He hasn't taken a NSAID or even paracetamol/Tylenol since March 2005.

Here's some more No/Low Starch Diet Success Stories

And here's some info I found when I was having a squiz on the paleo diet website (similar diet to NSD):

Quote:

Aren't whole grains good sources of fiber, minerals, and B vitamins? How can I get these nutrients if I cut down or eliminate grains from my diet?

On a calorie-by-calorie basis, whole grains are lousy sources of fiber, minerals, and B vitamins when compared to the lean meats, seafood, and fresh fruit and veggies that dominate The Paleo Diet.

For example, a 1,000-calorie serving of fresh fruits and vegetables has between two and seven times as much fiber as does a comparable serving of whole grains. In fruits and veggies most of the fiber is heart-healthy, soluble fiber that lowers cholesterol levels -- the same cannot be said for the insoluble fiber that is predominant in most whole grains.

A 1,000-calorie serving of whole grain cereal contains 15 times less calcium, three times less magnesium, 12 times less potassium, six times less iron, and two times less copper than a comparable serving of fresh vegetables.

Moreover, whole grains contain a substance called phytate that almost entirely prevents the absorption of any calcium, iron, or zinc that is found in whole grains, whereas the type of iron, zinc, and copper found in lean meats and seafood is in a form that is highly absorbed.

Compared to fruits and veggies, cereal grains are B-vitamin lightweights. An average 1,000-calorie serving of mixed vegetables contain 19 times more folate, five times more vitamin B6, six times more vitamin B2 and two times more vitamin B1 than a comparable serving of eight mixed whole grains. On a calorie-by-calorie basis, the niacin content of lean meat and seafood is four times greater than that found in whole grains.

Hope this helps, good luck to you in whatever your chosen course for treating your AS is
Chelsea

Oh, and also I forgot to say that at this stage you probably won't notice a correlation between eating starch and an increase in pain. This is because you are basically in a constant flare all the time. It's only once you reduce/eliminate the starch and your AS symptoms improve and then if you add it back in you will notice an increase in pain directly related to increased starch intake. Also, pain meds/NSAIDS tend to mask things also. So your best bet if you wanted to would be to try the diet for at least a month or so and see how you go from there.

Hi Chelsea,

actually, I am not in a constant flare. I have ups and downs, and that is why, when I visited the rheumy, he remarked that I was having one of my better days

I know that people mean well when it comes to pushing this diet, but I do think that when someone, like myself, who is very conservative when it comes to any of these diets, just cannot follow such a diet, then it really should be given a rest.

We need certain grains as sources of fibre. We can get fibre from fruit and vegies, but we need to have the correct variable mix.

I have not been on either the Pritikin or the Atkins diets because I believe them to be unsound. I am expecting to visit a dietician again and I will take advice from the dietician as to the best way of getting everything that I need. It is a question of getting the mix and the balance correct in order to sustain a weight loss.

I react to heat and humidity, as well as other changes in the weather. The day that I had my pain flare, I know for certain that I did not get enough fluids before the flare began. This is why the pain was exacerbated so rapidly throughout my body. Dehydration, like I experienced that day causes a lot of pain.

Maggie

Platypus #216145 01/22/06 10:53 PM
Hiya Maggie

Quote:

I know that people mean well when it comes to pushing this diet, but I do think that when someone, like myself, who is very conservative when it comes to any of these diets, just cannot follow such a diet, then it really should be given a rest.

I sincerely apologise, I wasn't trying to be pushy. I didn't realise you had already closed the book on the NSD as something you would be willing to try. I was just trying to allay your fears if you thought it was an unhealthy diet like the Atkins and such-like certainly are. I myself was very cautious and did alot of research on it before I felt confident that it would be safe for my husband to try so I can understand your point of view.

All the best,
Chelsea

Kiwi #216146 01/23/06 01:16 AM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Quote:

Hiya Maggie

Quote:

I sincerely apologise, I wasn't trying to be pushy. I didn't realise you had already closed the book on the NSD as something you would be willing to try. I was just trying to allay your fears if you thought it was an unhealthy diet like the Atkins and such-like certainly are. I myself was very cautious and did alot of research on it before I felt confident that it would be safe for my husband to try so I can understand your point of view.

All the best,
Chelsea

Chelsea,

your apology is accepted.

Maggie

Platypus #216147 01/23/06 08:55 PM
Hey Maggie, you mention the idea of writing things down. Actually, journalling is an extremely good way for us to keep track of what causes our flares and what helps alleviate them. Not to mention, it gives us something to refer to when we're trying to explain all of this to our rheumies.

I find it interesting that dehydration may have played a part in your last flare. I have to wonder how many of us forget about this. Thanks for the reminder.

Hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Kiwi #216148 01/24/06 02:34 AM
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Um... what does "having a squiz" mean? Is that some kind of New Zealand talk?

'Erie (-:

Platypus #216149 01/24/06 03:04 AM
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Greetings, Maggie!

I'm so sorry to hear you aren't getting more support at home. I'm lucky to have a very supportive family, I only occasionally run into trouble with people like roommates, friends, teachers/professors, doctors, etc. Hopefully your husband will eventually accept the situation and come around to being more understanding. In the meantime, we have lots of gentle hugs for you here!

I hate it when people tell me about all their pains... but I also try keep in mind that most of them are just doing their best to relate to me in spite of having little understanding or knowledge of the situation--or sometimes they are subtly asking for advice. It doesn't sound like this is what your husband is doing, though... so I don't know how this statement/paragraph really related to anything you said and maybe I should have just skipped it. Oh well, too late now.

Just a thought: Is the "new pain spot" you're experiencing in the middle of your chest around the sternum? I often get inflammation around the edges of the sternum, usually from dislocating or subluxing ribs. (On occassion the end of a rib even pops out beyond one side of the breastbone as a weird lump. Gross! ) Knowing of your hypermobility problems I thought it might be something to consider if the symptoms are anything like this. Not that I've found anything that helps it...

Sending some of those gentle hugs for you,
'Erie (-:

Erie #216150 01/24/06 03:04 AM
tehehehe! Yup, that's New Zealand speak for "having a look"

Chelsea

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 75 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,962 hmmm
1,323,996 OMG!!!!
712,436 PARTY TIME!