Hi jeanne

Welcome to this wonderful site. We are all like brothers and sisters here. It is like a special family.

I'm 62 and have AS since I was 10 and dxed at 37yrs.
My condition is in advanced stage. I suffered as much as all the others for many years. My spine is completely fused. The good part is that I am fused in the straight position.(lucky me...huh)I can not advise you about what you need the most right now but I can say that it is extremely important that you work at a good posture. It will make your life a lot more worth living to have a fused spine in the straight position.
Here is how I managed to stay straight. I lay on my back(use a pillow if you have to)on the floor as often as possible several times a day. I have a hard bed and never sleep on my side always on my back with a pillow under my knees. Or on my front using a pillow where needed.
You will find this hard to do at first but if you are able to do this it will get easier as the yrs go by. Breathing exercises a helpful as well.
This worked very well for me and now I am happy to be alive. The pain is never severe anymore, I’m guessing that is because I must be done fusing. I am stiff but I am straight.
I hope that this is helpful.
Ray smile

[Linked Image]