Brian,
You might want to try the magnesium first, to make sure the root of the problem isn't a mineral deficiency. However, if that doesn't bring relief, I have a couple of ideas:

1) Kava-kava: (from "Arthritis", by Zamperion) "Kava-kava functions as one of the least toxic yet most powerful herbal skeletal muscle relaxants and has been used traditionally by Hawaiians for rheumatism and the treatment of arthritis." The book mentions concern about long-term use and the liver. Also, it causes drowsiness in some individuals, so use for the first time in the evening.

2) TENS: Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. I have a TENS unit, paid for by my insurance company, which I used for pain relief when my neck was really bad. You put sticky electrodes with wires on your skin and they attach to a small unit you clip onto your waistband. The unit sends out mild electrical signals. It feels sort of like a buzzing. The electrical signals block the nerves from transmitting pain signals. I wore mine at work, at home and sometimes all night while I slept. I found it extremely effective for mild to moderate pain. I learned to use it early in the pain cycle, because pain causes tension which causes more pain which causes more tension...until you are in spasm. If I put the TENS on when I first started to tighten up, I could short circuit the whole pain-tension cycle and prevent the spasms. Most insurances cover them. My insurance bought mine for me and I get to keep it. They will also pay for a lifetime supply of new electrodes.

Karen

I cannot make the universe obey me. I cannot make other people conform to my own whims and fancies. I cannot make even my own body obey me.

Thomas Merton

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.

Emily Dickinson