Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
C
This is a site/blog, run by a molecular biologist, that I found incredibly informative and fascinating.

Cooling Inflammation

This is the best argument put forward, I've ever seen, for eating carbs, or more specifically, fiber. I had been contemplating a zero-carb diet until I read this. It reassured me that I've been on the right track by reducing carbs, but still needed some of that fiber to feed the good flora in the digestive system.

In my opinion, This is yet another example of a different area of science, that being molecular biology, confirming the advantages of a low-carb diet. It also talks about the disadvantages of using antibiotics, and living in sterile environments, which is something I've always been interested in and suspected to be true.

Last edited by ChrisTheDrifter; 06/19/10 04:37 PM.
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Another good find! I found this information regarding his thoughts on Kp on page three or four by clicking Older Posts at the bottom of the page

Quote:
K. pneumoniae has been associated with Crohn’s Disease and Ankylosing Spondylitis. It grows in gut biofilms and produces pullulanase, an enzyme that can utilize the branched glucosides left over from the action of amylase on plant starch. So K.p. has an untapped food source and it needs lots of ATP to produce hydrogen gas. The nitrogenase needed for nitrogen fixation and hydrogen production is very sensitive to oxygen, so this means that K.p. needs a partially anaerobic environment and must get its energy from fermentation. Fermentation yields much less ATP than respiration using oxygen, which means that K.p. can only produce hydrogen with lots of glucose from starch.

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Wow, check out this comment on the post on Kp:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=196334975274806517&postID=6412614317164635352

"In hospital studies, lactoferrin was fed to patients to decrease iatrogenic pneumonia. It was very effective, because it killed/eliminated the bacteria at their source, the gut."

I have been seeking evidence that lactoferrin works to decrease harmful gut flora in real life (outside of lab experiments), and that sounds pretty good!!

Now I want to find the paper on those studies...

C
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
C
This is exciting stuff, because it's all been discovered totally independent of Dr. Ebringer's studies, and leaves us with the same hypothesis.

There are some lactoferrin supplements for sale online. Does anybody know anything about it? It seems like a natural protein, so I assume there shouldn't be any side-effects?

Last edited by ChrisTheDrifter; 06/19/10 11:10 PM.
naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Thank you!

S
Copper_AS_Kicker
Copper_AS_Kicker
S
im LOVING this discussion. im intently absorbing this info. is it ok to be excited? :] look forward to more.

AS & Fibro. NSD + no sugar
J
jet
Unregistered
jet
Unregistered
J
looks like ive found myself some sunday reading material. thanks for sharing your find cool2

J
jet
Unregistered
jet
Unregistered
J
"don’t overdo hygiene; gut flora diversity derives from bacteria that you eat and those that rub off acquaintances" http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/
this might be why when dogs meet each other, they smell each others butts?? for health reasons woof

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Thanks, very interesting blog.

Finally a decent explanation for why people with AS have higher prevalence of H Pylori infection. I first read about the hydrogen -> H Pylori link from Stephen Guyenet's blog -
"Excessive fructose, certain types of fiber, and wheat cause bacterial overgrowth and H2 production... Resistant starch, as well as certain non-caloric sweeteners, are readily fermented into H2 in some people... "
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/02/sugar-hydrogen-bacteria-and.html

What I didn't realise was until I read your link was that Kleb's turn starch into hydrogen.
"Helicobacter pylori feeds on hydrogen gas produced by Klebsiella pneumoniae in gut biofilms... Klebsiella pneumonia is a lung pathogen and it also forms gut biofilms. Presence in the gut and the ability to produce hydrogen gas has some implications for hydrogen utilizing bacteria like H. pylori. Clearly, the stomach of someone with an abundant source of hydrogen fuel in their blood is a better target for H. pylori colonization."

If the starch -> kleb link is what is behind AS then the
starch -> kleb -> hydrogen -> H Pylori link would explain why people with AS have increased prevalence of H Pylori. The pieces seem to fit.

Superior_AS_Kicker
Superior_AS_Kicker
V v interesting.... Thanks for all the links folks. Going to put these on my reading list for tomorrow.

"Traveler, there is no road, you make your path as you walk." - Antonio Machado

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 57 guests, and 109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,369,081 hmmm
1,324,077 OMG!!!!
712,494 PARTY TIME!