Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
kj243:

A regular MD should be able to order the tests but I don't think they have the experience or mindset in evaluating them.

A functional medicine doctor would have actual training in the area and perhaps a naturopath that knows a lot about infectious diseases. A rheumatologist also orders some of them but sees the results differently (autoimmune or organ damage instead of stealth infection or nutritional deficit.)

I hope that helps.
Robin

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Enough Frederick.

You've been told repeatedly to stay out of the NSD forum with your useless commentary. You have never tried the NSD, so you have literally nothing to contribute to these discussions.

But when you post your negative garbage here, you violate the rights and responsibilities of the forum. You either respect other people's treatment preferences or you keep your mouth shut - that's how this site works. Everyone who comes here should expect a supportive environment.

Seriously mods, enough is enough. How long are you going to let this go on? Every time a new poster joins to ask about NSD Frederick pops up to disparage it. It's hard enough to get support from doctors and family, this is the absolute last place anyone should face discouragement about a treatment choice.

Last edited by Kellybells; 08/02/18 01:16 PM.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Originally Posted By MLR
I'm curious about how long it takes to improve symptoms. My son is the one with AS and is on the NSD but he has been trying to add foods and has had a few flare ups. He's been on NSD for about 5 weeks. The biggest problem for him is boredom with food since all he is able to eat is meat and salad. I'm curious if anyone can have Kefir? I've read good things about the probiotics in kefir. And can most AS sufferers have eggs? Should he wait longer to start adding foods?

Welcome MLR! The start of NSD is definitely a challenge. I found relief really quickly - within 2 weeks I noticed a big reduction in pain. But the first two months or so were really frustrating as I discovered more and more foods that were just too starchy for me. I'd have what I thought was a good, clean day of eating, only to wake up the next morning stiff and in pain. Carrots, apples, cabbage, deli meat, and collards all tripped me up early on. It was no fun at all. So while I f
was in less pain overall, it would still flare day to day

My diet was sparse too: mainly eggs, meat, and a handful of veg (zucchini, spinach, asparagus, artichokes, okra, avocado). Eggs were my staple - I ate them everyday and would also eat a few hardboiled eggs when I couldn't think of anything else to eat. (Eggs are still a staple for me and I have never had any issue with them.) I found that I didn't mind the lack of variety as long as I ate enough; when I was hungry, that's when my mind would rebel against the diet and I would crave pretty much everything on the forbidden list.

I stayed away from all dairy early on after cheddar and yogurt caused bad reactions. After that I stuck with probiotics in a pill. After a few months I went to a naturopath who recommended alternating herbal antibiotics with probiotics. I have had a lot of success with this approach, and can now eat low starch foods I couldn't before. I talk about it here and here.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
M
MLR Offline
New_Member
New_Member
M
I don't believe in taking any of the meds commonly prescribed by doctors. I'm a believer in the diet after watching my son go through months of excruciating paint and then after being on the diet only 4 days he was able to hop out of bed, return to work, pick up his kids again. It opened my eyes.
As a side note, my uncle suffered with AS for years and chose to take all the immunosuppressants and anti inflammatory drugs including NSAIDs. He died of cancer and since no one else in our family has had cancer I have to wonder if it was the drugs.
Lori

B
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
B
I started this LSD 21 years ago and as a result stopped taking drugs within a couple of weeks. Your regular misanthropic contribution reminds me why I shall continue!

'Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on. 'I do,' Alice hastily replied; 'at least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing , you know.' 'Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter.
AS Czar
AS Czar

Frederick:

Because You do not believe in NSD, YOU do not belong in this forum; as I said before, You are very welcome on the Main Forum. Please avoid this one on a permanent basis.

Second warning!

Third incursion and I will do something I really do not want to do!

Thank You,
John

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Originally Posted By MLR
I don't believe in taking any of the meds commonly prescribed by doctors. I'm a believer in the diet after watching my son go through months of excruciating paint and then after being on the diet only 4 days he was able to hop out of bed, return to work, pick up his kids again. It opened my eyes.
As a side note, my uncle suffered with AS for years and chose to take all the immunosuppressants and anti inflammatory drugs including NSAIDs. He died of cancer and since no one else in our family has had cancer I have to wonder if it was the drugs.
Lori

4 days! That's amazing! And so great that he's been able to get back to his normal life. You must all feel so relieved. I remember starting NSD as a hail mary, feeling like I had nothing to lose....what a revelation when it worked (I had not been diagnosed and my symptoms were not clearly AS, so I was skeptical).

Agree completely agree on meds. It's a shame they are the only thing that modern rheumatology has to offer. DMARDS have been linked to cancer, yet methotrexate is a key treatment.

M
MLR Offline
New_Member
New_Member
M
Frederick have you tried the diet? For how long and how strict? Be honest, did you cheat? Ever?

M
MLR Offline
New_Member
New_Member
M
He's had some flare ups, to be sure, but they were caused by going off the NSD and experimenting with something - chocolate and coconut mild yogurt. Neither was good for him but as soon as he follows the diet strictly he feels much better.
I started another thread about this but he had an appointment with a rheumy today and the doctor totally scared him. He said if he didn't take the meds he'd end up blind or with Crohn's. I thought, yeah, what happens when the disease progresses because everything I've read says the meds don't stop the progression of the disease. He brushed off the fact that my son feels so much better and said there is no real scientific evidence for the diet and gut health being the cause. I'm so mad I want to call the guy up and tell him where he can stick his drugs.

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
Originally Posted By MLR

said there is no real scientific evidence for the diet and gut health being the cause.

Sorry but I agree with the rheumatologist on this one give me the drugs any time

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Plamen), 36 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,367,978 hmmm
1,323,413 OMG!!!!
711,976 PARTY TIME!