Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21
B
Lurker
Lurker
B
Does anyone know of any good Non-starch protein shakes? I get extremely hungry on this diet and I need a filler like a shake to help me out for the first several weeks until I get more used to it. I have found 2 so far but both are pretty nasty.

Also, I'm waiting to make sure my back pain goes completely away before I tapper off of my medications. Does anyone know of a plan to follow to tapper off meds? I wish I had someone to talk to about a plan on that as I know for a fact it wouldn't be my doctor. I do Remicade infusions once every 8 weeks and I also take oral Imuran pills. Medication has worked great for me for a year and a half but has slowly started wearing off. I know the answer to my problem would be to increase infusion frequency and that's not what I want to do. This is my last known medication that can help both my UC and AS according to my doctor. This diet has given me hope, as well as possibly doing a fecal transplant down the road.

Dotyisle #516621 02/19/17 10:18 AM
R
New_Member
New_Member
R
I have been struggling with Arthritis since March 2004 and in October 2016 I have been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Before I visit your website. I was following Dr McDougal.

Now my daily food is Morning Rice Floor Roti and Green Vegetable with oil fry with pepper and Indian Malasa.

Lunch : Rice Floor Roti and boiled rice and dal mung, turdal, lenthils etc

dinner : Rice Floor Roti and boiled rice and dal mung, turdal, lenthils etc

Now condition is so worse that i could not lift my hand up. there is no swelling,

My spine, neck, shoulders are paining like any thing,

i dont each meat, egg, all gluten free but symptoms are getting worse.

I have lost 13 Kgs of weight.

Please help

--

Wheat & Milk product Left - Oct 2012

ravirajhn #516722 03/03/17 10:30 AM
S
New_Member
New_Member
S
i don,t understand. it seems you do it wrong. you must not eat rice or bread much. you must eat anything except starch or have a controled amount of it if you want have a nsd diet

ravirajhn #516726 03/03/17 08:39 PM
AS Czar
AS Czar
WELCOME, ravirajhn:

Please obtain a copy of Carol Sinclair's "The New IBS Low-Starch Diet" and follow NSD; the McDougall plan is for beginning stages of regular RA and NOT AS!

Also, this is not the thread for NON-success stories; please post in regular forums and You are welcome to start new topics.

HEALTH,
John

C
New_Member
New_Member
C
hello,
this is my first post here, even though i`ve been following this forum since nov 2015. That is where my story starts.
I was first diagnosed in the summer of 2009, when after only two months since first sympthoms i was already unable to walk out of the house without taking pills (arcoxia) and also had an episode of iridiocyclitis.
At that time the doctors recommended immediatly to start with Infliximab (Remicade).
Result begabn to show up in a week, and within one months i was already able to run.
Everything worked fine in the following 6 years, with absolutely no sympthom of AS, no pain, i was in a very good shape ( able to run out in the cold at -10 Celsius) - i was as new smile (with an Infliximab dose every 8-9 weeks).
I was very confident that AS was off. In july 2015, due to some problems with the healthcare in my country (Romania), Infliximab was no longer available for me, and for the next 4 months i had to take a break. In this time, sympthoms were slowly coming back, and, on the 15 of November 2015, doctors diagnosed that AS was back, and recommended switching to Humira.
I was very sad in the beginning, but on the same day, as i was travelling back home from the hospital, my girlfriend gave me a link on an sms. - it was kickass.org smile
The next day i decided to start the diet. it was Very hard in the first four weeks, lost 10% of my bodywheight and backpains, jointpains, nightsweats were incresing in intensity.
I was going totally NSD, with very little sugar. In the next four months, AS was back in full power. I couldn`t even walk sometimes. But this time i decided to go only on the diet, with no medicines. (now as i look back, i realise that maybe it was a mistake, i could have cut pain a little)
Anyway, in June (8 months since i began diet) i couldn`t go further, and began taking meds again.(Interestingly, in that time, pain and swolenness were slowly going down, from spine and ribcage - to pelvis and feet.)
As i said, i began with Arcoxia 30 mg twice a day, and slowly decreased to ibuprofen and paracetamol.
In nov 2016, after a year with NSD and pills, sympthoms slowly diseapeared, and i began to sleep well again, i was able to walk fine again, and i began practicing some sports - swimming.
Also, sincer nov 2016, i was no longer so strict with the diet, and went more like Low Strach Diet.
Also, sincer then i gave up pills, i took them only when necessary.
Now, 20 march 2017, after 16 month from starting the diet, i:
1. no longer take any kind of medicine
2. already started running
3. go on a relaxed Low Starch Diet
4. have a happy life again

This is my story, but like other who wrote before me, i have some amendments.
1. start easy, cutting down sugar to zero might be dangerous, i was lucky i only lost some kg, but you don`t know how your body reacts
2. don`t take yourself to serious, or you will end up only thinking about food and what to eat next.
3. don`t be a hero. i think is not worthy enduring pain, if you think you really need one pill to do your daily activity or to sleep well - take it. i learned it the hard way - i nearly lost my bussiness beeing to busy fighting AS.
4. about diet: Totally NSD is very hard, and i wouldn`t recommend it. It may be more effective, but i think Low Starch is the way to go. It is easyer to carry on and you`ll have more time to do other important things (like doing your job well so you won`t lose it)
5. Try some alternative medicine. Call it yoga, reiki, cosmoenergy, whatever, even though they may have no direct effect on AS (i think they do, but this isn`t the place to talk about that), they will improve your mood and will make you go easily through the process. And believe me, mental health is very important in that time smile

So, my first post here was about how i managed to heal myself. So far i am going very well, and i hope i`m done with AS.
This was a small part of the story, and i hope i wrote was was essential and didn`t forget anything.
Anyway, thank you for sharing here all your experiences, keep writing, there may be someone like me out there struggling to fight AS and who maybe someday write a succes story as i am doing now.
Without kickass.org and all info in here i would probably just be addicted to some meds and have to live a life depeding to doctors and hospitals and who knows what.
Now i am free.
Thank you again

Last edited by cristian_g; 03/19/17 11:49 PM.
R
New_Member
New_Member
R
Hi Cristian,

Could you please list your food.

DragonSlayer #516803 03/20/17 02:14 PM
R
New_Member
New_Member
R
Thank you John,

I will start new topic.

Dotyisle #516807 03/20/17 10:21 PM
C
New_Member
New_Member
C
hello ravirajhn,
i hope it`s ok to post here.

first i have to say that the best method is to test for yourself, not everything i red on this forum matched perfectly, i had to try.
in the beggining, i avoided almost everything was in the list which had more than 5% starch and the nightshades. when i tried anything besides that, my body seemed to react.
Also, i tried to to keep sugar level very low. That included fruits, which i had a max 3 a day. Chocolate, only around 15 grams of 70% cocoa or darker per day.
In the beggining was very hard, i was always hungry, but Almonds, walnuts, tahini paste and other nuts saved me.
After a while your body will go along to the diet and you won`t feel hungry so often.
Remeber, this may not work for you, but this list contains 95% of my diet.
Nuts, sesame, cabage, SAUERKRAUT, cucumber, cauliflower, carrots, beetroot, onion, green beans, broccoli, cheese, KEFIR, yoghurt(with added bifidus and lactobacili) and meat (all kinds)
Apples, bananas, pears, melon, berries, coconut and sometimes citruses.
And for desert - dark chocolate
I also used very much apple cider vinegar, which besides the benefic effect some say it has , it also was very good for my digestive system.
And of course, sport, keep your joints on the move every day but don`t go to hard.

Last edited by cristian_g; 03/20/17 10:22 PM.
Dotyisle #516947 04/21/17 10:40 AM
New_Member
New_Member
My hip pain was diagnosed as AS (as I suspected it was partly because I have had iritis for decades). I looked on line for solutions, particularly regarding what actually CAUSES AS and dietary recommendations. A blood test also found I had ridiculously low vitamin D which is connected to AS.

I found the answers I was looking for. But what shocks me is that the doctors would not even suggest any of the things I had to find out for myself.

Basically - the pathogen "klebsiella" is known to spark off AS in those with the genetic profile - ie in some of those who have HLA-B27 as I do. Klebsiella is similar to the gene so that the immune system confuses the two and ends up attacking the body.

Klebsiella thrives when you eat starch and also when you consume a (probably quite high) amound of inulin. (Not inSulin - but inulin). Inulin is found as a supplement in health food stores so no one with AS should touch that. But it is also high in chicory. I had been consuming large amounts of chicory coffee thinking it was healthier than caffein for a couple of years - really loads of it.

So the high inulin from that would have possibly been a major factor in the development of my symptoms as it fed the klebsiella - and certainly I could not have recovered if I continued to drink it.

I have been following a non starch and non inulin diet for about a month and feel really great except my hip is permanently damaged so I have a pill for that (amitriptyline). I came off the anti inflamatories (naproxen) so that I could try the idea of drinking half a bottle of Chardonnay which kills klebsiella (I will provide the link to the study). And strictly follow non starch diet.

Many others with AS will be suffering greatly when they could have had the relief I have found.

Apart from the isolated dose of Chardonnay you should keep off anything that adds to/causes "leaky gut" which allows pathogens like klebsiella into the blood stream. The naproxen (and pain killers like ibuprofen) are very bad for the gut unfortunately.
I take aloe vera at the moment and keep of alcohol now to allow healing of the gut.

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/white-wine-kills-e-coli-105647/

April8 #516950 04/21/17 11:08 AM
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Hi welcome.

Great to know that diet is working for you.

Quote:
I have been following a non starch and non inulin diet for about a month

Can you list the non inulin diet and your diet details.

Jay

Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 64 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM