Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
K
I found when I also took out dairy and all processed foods and alcohol it really made a huge impact in pain relief. The apple cider vinegar really helps but it took about 4 weeks to feel the difference. I still eat rice when I need carbs but I only eat glutinous rice rinsed a few time to remove excess starch before cooking. The other things I foind that help is natural ginger supplement and a vegan probiotic with no FOS in it.

R
R
Hi Kahuna,

I tried apple cider vinegar and I thought it doesn't work on me. But I took it just for a few days. So after I read your post I will try it again. How do you take it, how much and when?

Thanks!!!

J
Active_Member
Active_Member
J
Your husband has my deepest sympathy - I too am struggling desperately with this diet and my pain over the past weekend has been off the charts, where NSAIDS, pain killers and opiates seemed utterly powerless. My best piece of advice is to write down EVERYTHING he eats, including supplements, plus a description of his accompanying pain and any other symptoms (squirmy tummy or whatever). Eventually our records should reveal some patterns. I don't rely on memory!

Certain foods seem to be changeable in their starch levels, and these can make life very complicated and need vigilance. Foods that are in this category for me are cauliflower, courgettes (zucchini), apples, carrots. I've been able to eat them at times, then the starch level seems to rise and I'm in big trouble. This past weekend the culprit was cauliflower - I tested the leftovers the following day (after sitting up in agony all night) and it went pitch black, so I knew. If only I had tested it beforehand! It's now banned from my diet!

I'd recommend cutting dairy from his diet for a short while and see, then maybe starting cautiously on yoghurt. Try swapping cauliflower for broccoli. I can't do sugar either and my fruit intake is limited to fairly restrained quantities of simple sugars, eg grapes, oranges, berries, pineapple. (I'm also suspecting eggs and praying I'm wrong.) I also can't touch vinegar so use lemon juice. I'm finding this path so unbelievably lonely and difficult but have been encouraged by some days with greatly reduced pain, and feel sure that that will improve once I get the hang of this.

Hang in there. If it's not working, change it, but let's not give up!

Spondyloarthropathy with symptoms of AS, Sjögrens and fibro. Previously took Celebrex, Methotrexate, Trepiline, Prednisone which seemed to trigger a flare and my illness became much worse. Symptoms now kept mostly under control with NSD, as well as cutting sugar, dairy and yeast and food intolerances. Mostly pain free now and all symptoms massively improved.
D
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
D
Hi Love2bamom,

No two people are the same. Some have overt gut symptoms whilst others don't. Gut symptoms - bloating, cramping and diarrhoea - whilst unpleasant, at least allow a judgement to be made on the merits or otherwise of certain foods.

I find eggs questionable so only eat sporadically. Bacon may cause problems because it is ?steeped in some sort of ?sugary / salty solution. If your looking for an alternative breakfast you could do worse than 3 lamb chops. I cook then overnight in a slow cooker with a bone broth base.

Sourkraut might be worth a try as a condiment - seems to be a good probiotic.

I wish you and your husband all the best in your endeavours.

Dx Oct 2006 B27+ undifferentiated spondlyarthropathy (uSpA) with mild sebhorrhoeic dermatitis and mild Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) controlled by NSD since 2007.
K
K
I take it as Margeret Hill recomends, 1 tsp honey disolved in small amout of warm water and add 1 tablespoon of unfiltered unpasturised apple cider vinegar then fill the rest of the glass with water. I drink it 4 times daily when I wake up before I eat, another glass around 10:30-11:00am ish, another glass after lunch and another glass before or just following dinner. Be patient I thought the same after a week that it wasnt working, but then about 3-4 weeks I really noticed the difference. It allows me to eat starches now and again without flare ups, but I try not to eat alot of starch mostly just gluitnous rice.

Wait a month so you can see the good effect of apple cider vinegar. After a month add ginger supplement too it is a natural antibiotic that will help stop over growth of klebisillia and a good dairy free and fos free Probiotic. I use Garden of Life Raw Primal Defence probiotic. Just dont take the ginger and probiotic at the same time it made my stomach un easy. I take ginger in the morning and probiotic with lunch.

R
R
thanks Kahuna1

One question: why the honey? Is it just for the taste?

K
K
I did it without the honey for my first 2 weeks I thought it wasn't working, then I followed Margarets recipe because I was always in pain but committed to give it a try. I believe it is just for taste but what I found is that if I added the honey my carb craving wasn't as bad. I found that when I went no starch completely it was hard to maintain and after a few days I was craving big timestarches like chips, candy, bread, and rice. The other thing she recomended is 1 tsp of black strap mollases 3 times daily. I am low in iron from AS and black strap is decent for iron and the sweetness helps with no starch. If younby molasses dont by fancy molasses in the grocery store it is just sugar, you need to get black strap molasses which is full of vitamins and minerals.

So i believe you can take the apple cider vinegar without honey but the honey helps curb my starch cravings, so I continue to use it.

R
R
Thanks for your answer! I will try it the same way. I read already about the molasses. I am very cautious with carbs but I tried lower amounts the next time.

K
K
Your welcome and good luck, there is some trial and error with diet. I try now and again to re-introduce foods I avoid and sometimes I can get no flare up and other times I get my [*bleep*] kicked and spend a while in pain. I did find the apple cider vinager allows me to have some starches if I don't over indulge. I used to be so sensitive that even cross contamination could cause flare ups, now I am able to cheat a little, but sometimes I go overboard and I pay for it.

R
R
Cross contamination? What does this mean?

Good luck to you too! I am on my way to reintroduce some food after a whole year in pain. Almond butter and some dairy, second day that I tried some molasses. Maybe it is too much but I cannot stand the diet anymore this strict way I stood for a long time. An now it feels like I could try it. Until now it is successful. We will see.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 78 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,530 hmmm
1,323,735 OMG!!!!
712,219 PARTY TIME!