Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
Welcome to KA!

It took years to get a correct diagnosis. I always had pain in my hips with intermittent pain on either side of my buttocks. My back didn't hurt that much even though I have degenerative disc disease. After AS was diagnosed doctors concluded that my hip pain was actually referred pain from my back. I now experience mild groin pain along with upper leg pain. I do get back pain when I drive and have to put on the seat heater, even in the middle of winter. I have had epidurals, four at a time in my SI joints but that doesn't help anymore. Things seem to have settled down, with chronic pain but no heavy duty flares since using Enbrel.

I would think by what you say that it is indeed referred pain from AS. Hope you find answers.

I can not defeat you but I will not let you win

Jeff

Degenrative disc disease 2005
AS 2008 HLA-B27-
Fibromyalgia 2010
Disability 2012
Back to work part time 2013
Enbrel, Cymbalta,Oxycodone, blah blah blah blah
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
I get sciatica on the L side (from L5-S1) and on the right I get pain that is arising from the L1-L2-L3 area. It is felt in the right groin area and in the upper/inner thigh. If you Google a 'dermatome map', you may find where your pain comes from.

When the pain arising from sciatic nerve started up, I really thought I had pulled a muscle around my thigh/knee area, though there really was no way that could have happened. Finally, after 2-3 weeks of this nagging pain, I got to thinking about referred pain that my pain mgmt doc had mentioned in the past. Looked up a dermatome map (and made a copy of it to save) and saw how it fit perfectly. Same thing happened when the R side started hurting. Thought I had pulled a muscle, then remembered the 'referred pain' problem.

Yes, it can come as a result of the AS. Doc also told me that sometimes the disks can bulge for a while and give you symptoms, but they can shrink back a little and not necessarily show up on MRI. Pain in groin probably isn't from SI, though.

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
PT = physiotherapy

S
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
S
Originally Posted By: DragonSlayer
Hello, Bill:

Absolutely caused by AS; a manifestation of what could properly be termed periostitis.

Quote:
I understand what referred pain is, but can it appear in the groin even when there doesn't seem to be much pain anywhere else?

Yes, AS presentation is fully capricious and different from one patient to the next; some will have IBS mainly and others neck and shoulder pain, even aortitis--silent killer!

HEALTH,
John

from groin pain to aortitis--silent killer!

can only be a DS post

this from WIKIPEDIA........Aortitis is the inflammation of the aortic wall. The disorder is potentially life-threatening and rare. It is reported that there are only 1-3 new cases of aortitis per year per million people in the United States and Europe.[1] Aortitis is found in a wide range of ages spanning from 10 to 40 years of age.[1]

one to three new cases per million people!!

the DS thinks it's worth mentioning.....just in case

what is this...the lets scare folk to death site?

Bronze_AS_Kicker
Bronze_AS_Kicker
HI

I do also remember in the early years of A/S having both SI pain and groin pain, and it must of been coming from my back

Janet

Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
What do you do for a job, Bill?

As a physio reading this without the benefit of being able to ask specific questions or examine your movements, I would be sitting on the fence 50:50 for pain coming from either a tight iliopsoas muscle or your back.

Find a good musculoskeletal physiotherapist (what Sue terms PT) and get them to check you out.

Louise

Happy to be a physio by day, not happy to be a Spondy 24/7! wink3
L
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
L
Hi inkyfingers

To answer your question, I am a photographer. Lugging a bag of fairly heavy kit is problematic, but the large amount of driving seems to bother it more. Especially when I am rushing and need to drive more swiftly! I have aggravated it numerous times when i have had to put my foot down to get on the motorway. I can always feel something there, and sometimes something seems to give and it gets really painful. Sometimes it calms down after a day or two other times, weeks or longer.

L
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
L
Forgot to say that the doctors told me that if it was either nerve damage or a pulled muscle/ ligament etc that it would have sorted itself out by now. Does that sound right?

Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Seems like a pulled muscle could have sorted itself out by now, but if it's still going on, my bet would be on it coming from your spine--i.e. nerve damage. Hope you can get a physio/PT to look at it.

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I've had a lot of tendon and ligament tears, pulls, itises.

They take longer to heal for us than for others, that constant inflammation makes the healing process slow way down.

My husband tore a ligament and a week on ibuprofen and his hand in a brace and its already doing a lot better.

For me it took 6-12 months and in one case 2-3 years.

So if it is tendon or ligament, it could take a while to heal. PT can be really helpful at sorting it out and getting it to improve.

I had a rotator cuff problem that wasn't too bad but for months and months it dragged on. On the Humira and its finally going away. But without that it just seemed to linger in the background.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,208 hmmm
1,323,581 OMG!!!!
712,074 PARTY TIME!