Originally Posted By: cemc
Originally Posted By: seb

The trouble that I have with my rheumatologist is that he never seems willing to prescribe me anything other than NSAIDS. How do you go about getting your rheumatologist to agree to the biologics?

Jroc has given you the criteria list for NZ, so I guess the way to go about getting the rheumatologist to agree is to work your way through all the eligibility criteria and stages. If you don't have the physical evidence there yet, then it will be a no go right now, but what I would do is to go back to rheumie, say your treatment isn't working and accept what he offers. If that works, great. If it doesn't, give it three months and go back and ask for something else. By the time you have worked through several different things he will be starting to think about biologics and at an appropriate point medically you will be offered them. Different countries have different hoops to jump through, but its not easy anywhere just to decide yourself what you want to take and actually get a doctor to prescribe it - you have to wait until they consider it appropriate.

The big thing though is to get some treatment that works for you, and you will get that if you work with your rheumie, give what he suggests a good try, and feed back regularly to him how it actually affects you - good or bad.

as frustrating as it is (been there, done that), i do tend to agree with cemc. but that does mean, "be persistent." give things a good try, unless you can't tolerate a side effect, no one should have to put up with feeling worse on a drug that is supposed to make one feel better. but the faster you "cycle" through the other drugs, the faster you'll end up on one that works for you. i finally left my last rheumy for my current one because like you indicated, he just stopped after 3 nsaids and wouldn't keep trying. i don't expect results necessarily, but i do expect my doctors to try and keep trying and not give up easily. if a doctor will work with you, work with the doctor, is my advice. i only change doctors when one has given up on me.

i'm glad the criteria have relaxed here in the U.S., as there is no way i'd qualify in NZ based on that list. i think the criteria are becoming more inclusive all the time around the world.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)