Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By Exacta
Do we think that overeating (regardless of starch content) can feed Kleb and create disease activity? I ask because at some point I am interested in trying to pack some weight back on.

Is it inadvisable to force feed myself copious amounts of meats, fats, etc?

If how I feel during a fast in comparison to eating is any guide then I would think that over-eating will make me feel worse. I will try to be observant about that but I think it is true.

Also, a chemist that knows a lot of biology told me that eating too much protein can contribute to higher sugar levels because the body will want to convert the protein to sugar. But I suspect that is in the blood and organs, not the gut. Just my guess. Or perhaps once our body is satisfied with the level of available amino acids it sends signals to the gut which alter the functioning of the microbiota and they increase breakdown of protein to sugar and have a big feast!!!???

* SNACKING!!

Just to add, I suspect that snaking will promote microbial overgrowth. Perhaps mother's advice was best to not snack between meals? Perhaps fruit or dessert at least half an hour before a meal is best, not after. That is the current advice; I don't know why.

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Originally Posted By Exacta
Do we think that overeating (regardless of starch content) can feed Kleb and create disease activity? I ask because at some point I am interested in trying to pack some weight back on.

Is it inadvisable to force feed myself copious amounts of meats, fats, etc?
I have never found that overeating non-starchy foods makes anything worse. For me, all that matters is starch and dairy - if I stay away from those, I'm fine.

Last year when I started I had a really hard time getting it right - I had lots of bad days and I lost weight. It was really hard to find truly non-starch veg and fruit and still eat enough calories. I tried fasting out of frustration but I hated it. I already have low blood pressure and not eating made it so much worse. So my pain went away but it wasn't worth it.

After fasting failed, I tried feasting - I turned to high-fat cuts of meat like pork ribs, pork shoulder sausages, chuck roast, chicken thighs, salmon steaks, etc. to get non-starch calories. And it was enough food that I could get away with eating totally NSD veg like spinach and zucchini, even though they have few calories. Most people around me were horrified, but I finally started to feel better - that's when I started having 0-1 pain days. I regained the weight I lost and have been stable every since.

Except for an irresponsible holiday season, I still eat this way and have no issues (though I haven't had my cholesterol tested since I changed diets). I've now started adding more vegetarian fats (e.g., olive oil, butter, coconut milk) to have a little more variety. I'm also able to eat veg and fruit with slightly more starch now, but still, it's hard to hit my calorie needs without the high fat content (I am a cycle commuter - I burn a lot of calories every day). I have lots of energy, my weight is stable, and I will probably stay with this diet until my starch tolerance improves (if it ever does).

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
E
Exacta Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
E
Sounds like you don't eat much in the way of sugars (honey, dried fruits, etc) ?

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
I didn't eat much fruit early on - it was too unpredictably starchy and I was too sensitive. It was often problematic and part of my early frustration.

But I eat fruit almost every day now. I find blueberries, cranberries, raspberries and cherries are almost always ok. Pineapple, strawberries and kiwi mostly ok. Grapes are often ok but they can be really starchy, so when they are bad they are really bad! I haven't tried many dried fruits - just dates and figs which are starchy. I've started drying my own pineapple and cherries.

I use honey as my go to sweetener but I don't really like it enough to have it just for the calories but it's not a bad idea. I also use maple syrup.

So I do eat lots of fruits and sugar - it really helps me hit my calorie targets, especially on workout days (when I aim for about 2500 calories). But it's the first to go when I flare since it's just too unpredictable. I also drop it during my 'weeding' phase, which I try to keep strictly no starch to make it more effective.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By Kellybells
Originally Posted By Robin_H
Red cabbage might be a good choice of vegetable to make a salad from

Cabbage always tests a bit starchy for me with iodine. I recommend staying away from it if starch tolerance is low.

When I look at the high omega-3 to omega-6 ratios of spinach, red cabbage and bok choy, and their relatively high quantities of those oils in comparison to other vegetables, then I conclude that they will be good sources of anti-inflammatory vegetable broth (throw away the actual vegetable after boiling the nutrients out).

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 54 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,566 hmmm
1,323,758 OMG!!!!
712,236 PARTY TIME!