Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
I was going to ask the same question. Too bad we can't do a proper poll on this site! I was going to ask everyones top 3 supplements.

I just bought some probiotics today... and am taking fish oil again, and turmeric, and flax, whatever other random things are in my cupboard at the moment.

I too am not sure what helps and what doesn't because I haven't really done a systematic test on myself.

I don't know about everyone else but I feel like I am constantly taking SOMETHING. LOL! I'm on Symponi and methotrexate and tend to get sick often. A friend of mine suggested Sovereign Silver. I ordered some today. Guess I'll let you all know if it works. Tired of being sick and tired, for sure. Also take a women's multi........

Heather

Mom to two gorgeous boys
Married 14 years to my best friend
HLAB27+ A.S for 12 years. Symponi, Methotrexate
L
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
L
A poll would be great....I very curious too...I added the things I usually take to my profile...But forgot I take ground flax daily too...it's must or IBS symptoms kick up. I too am sick of being sick and tired.

Diagnosed with AS in 2007 Hx of episodic back pain since I was 13.
Fibromyalgia Diagnosed Feb. 2013
methotrexate and Enbrel
Started LSD Feb 2012
Vit B,C,D, fish oil, folic acid, 5HTP, Gabba,Magnessium.
I am so much more then my symptoms:)

D
New_Member
New_Member
D
I have been on the NSD for about 6 years and do not take immune suppressants. I was doing pretty well but I still had some nagging symptoms. About a year ago, I started taking a bunch of supplements recommended by a doctor for something else but was surprised at the incredible improvement with my AS symptoms. My doctor recommended CoQ10 (200 mg 3 times a day) and when I take such a high dose all my pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulder area goes away. Also, I have an incredible energy. I tried going down to 100 mg a day (it's expensive) but the symptoms returned and I ended up going back to 200mg/3 times a day.

The other thing that makes a huge difference for me is Magnesium (it is a muscle relaxant and I have a lot of the symptoms of Mg deficiency). I take about 500-600 mg of the Chelated form (it gives you best absorption without the negative effect of diarrhea).

I also take Fish Oil (1,000) and do yoga. When I was diagnosed 6 years ago, just the idea of yoga was painful (nothing like stretching and twisting when your entire spine is inflamed!)

I hope that helps.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Daniela,

Thanks for that. I take both CoQ and Magnesium, but maybe I should take more.

What magnesium exactly do you use?

Thanks!

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hi,

I'm new to all this and was also going to ask what supplements I should be looking at - can someone please tell me what CoQ is??

Thanks smile

CoQ is Coenzyme Q / Ubiquinone / Ubiquinol.

It is a cofactor / coenzyme in the electron transport / oxidative phosphorylation metabolic pathway: the pathway that makes ATP / energy.

My rheumatologist put me on it, hoping that it would help my tight / spasming muscles.

I also take it because I'm now on a statin that not only blocks cholesterol synthesis but CoQ synthesis as well. Statins block a step in metabolism before the branchpoint for cholesterol and CoQ production. If one does not take CoQ while on a statin, one can develop a very serious muscle wasting condition.

I'm not sure how much it is helping me as I started it at the same time as a few other supplements (Magnesium and Vitamic C), but together I do find the supplements helpful. and now that I'm on the statin, I do need the coQ.

Maybe I should take more like recommended above, but too, it is a rather expensive supplement. I don't buy a particularly expensive brand of coQ. I'm more careful with brand for some of my other supplements but from what I've read coQ is coQ. Someone tell me if I'm mistaken.

sue

Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
chiro
walk, bike
K
K
I know this is an older thread, but has anyone tried either Goldenseal or Oregon Grape? I am interested in trying some natural antibiotics, but it seems there are conflicting articles out there about whether or not those with autoimmunes should take anything that boosts the immune system (obvious reasons, but sometimes it feels so backwards.) Both are listed as helping inflammation, digestive issues, etc.

If anyone has tried these, I'd be interested to hear what your results were. If you haven't, but take something else for the same result, what is it?

V
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
V
Here's a link to an article that says that the bifidobacteria are better for helping with inflammation, and actually that the most common strains of probiotics found in most yogurts are not always the right way to go.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/why-yogurt-and-probiotics-make-you-fat-and-foggy/

See what you think.

My GI doc also said that bifidobacterium is currently thought to be the best. He attends a lot of medical conferences and seems to be up on the latest research.

To be on the "safe side", I take one each of Align (bifido) and Culturelle (lactobacillus).

But honestly, I don't think either or both together are any match for what's going on inside of me; the Humira just barely seems to be keeping things going, but chronic constipation is something I fight continually:

Diet, water, exercise, probiotics (food and supplements), prebiotics (food), and Humira….and when things are really bad, psyllium….I should probably make psyllium a daily part of my diet, but its hard to do yet another thing when already doing so much…..

sue

chiro
walk, bike
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Carol Sinclair
by mosconi411 - 05/15/24 03:04 PM
Slippery elm poweder and Klebsiella
by mosconi411 - 05/13/24 06:24 PM
AS Patient from Hyderabad. Need dietary tips
by turndream2real - 05/13/24 03:59 AM
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
What's news since Alan Ebringer 2013 ?
by Ako - 12/22/19 05:10 PM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,373,137 hmmm
1,326,472 OMG!!!!
714,114 PARTY TIME!