Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
owain Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
O
i've been on a no-starch diet for one month and am now getting mouth ulcers. does anyone know why this is happening?

Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
What are you eating? Can you tell us in as much detail as possible please.

I get ulcers whenever my mouth gets scratched. It didn't get worse with the NSD though.. I'm pretty sure it was exactly the same beforehand.

Recently I was out at a chinese restaurant with friends, and over a period of about an hour of drinking regular cups of jasmine tea I found my two mouth ulcers both felt a lot better. I was supping at the tea regularly from those little chinese tea cups. Probably had about 8 tiny cup fulls in all. Something to try perhaps?

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Oh, also try finding a probiotic with a large number of strains in it. I use "Swanson's" and "Primal Defence" brands. They have about 12 to 15 strains of microbes. Might not help, but makes logical sense as something to try since ulcers are a symptom of nasty flora (or sometimes viral apparently?!?).

"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
now that i'm much better between flares, now i realize mouth ulcers are part of the beginning of me flaring (along with the irritated (but not inflamed) eyes (dry at the least)).

at first i swore it must be something i was eating.

but in between flares, i can eat the same things and not have mouth ulcers.

for me, mouth ulcers (and inflamed tongue papillae) are simply a sign of flaring.

when i have them, acidic food makes them hurt worse, so at that time, i just try to avoid the acidic food (citrus, tomato sauce, etc)

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Bronze_AS_Kicker
Bronze_AS_Kicker
Hi

I haven't figured out what causes my mouth ulcers and inflammed tonque. It flares and then settles down. I can't say it is related to the A/S. I feel flared most of the time.

Janet

Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
It could be you're eating more of something that can cause them. I think eating about half a pineapple did it to me once.

V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Believe it or not, Listerine makes my mouth ulcers feel better. It is an antiseptic so maybe that is why it feels beeter after swishing. I did not notice the no starch diet affecting my mouth ulcers.

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
W
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
W
I think the no starch diet decreases ones immune system, which would bring about more mouth sores.

I use Orajel mouth sore rinse and it seems to help.

Shari

Meds -Hizentra, leflunomide, Prednisone
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Winter
I think the no starch diet decreases ones immune system, which would bring about more mouth sores.

No starch diet is not supposed to decrease your immune system, and does not for most of us. Dieting is just supposed to lower the triggers for inflammation, as opposed to biologics and other medicines which are intended to dampen specific parts of the immune response.

If you are experiencing lowered immunity, it could be worth looking into getting tested for nutritional deficiencies.

Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
>> I think the no starch diet decreases ones immune system

The immune system is a complex beast. When in flare mode my body will produce more immune cells, yes that is true. However the immune cells are of the wrong type, and targeting the wrong parts of my body, hence it is an ineffective army that is ignoring the real threats such as colds/flus/throat infections/etc.

When my body is out of flare, after a few weeks the immune systems settles down in to a better regulated and calm mode where it can react swiftly to real threats properly. That means: less flu, less ulcers, etc. But I'm finding that this really does take a bit longer.. it might take 2 or 3 weeks for the immune system to be fully functional again after a flare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,367,846 hmmm
1,323,347 OMG!!!!
711,913 PARTY TIME!