Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
johnsf Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
J
Hi All,

I joined this site about 8 or 9 years ago and have posted only a handfull of times since. Mine was the usual sad story - AS showed up in mid-teens (I'm 30 now) and when it flared I was a cripple unless I took medication. And then the Iritis, Plantar Fasciitis, etc showed up as well and all would flare up regularly.

I tried the anti-biotic regimens, NSD for a few weeks but it didnt work, apple diets, lemon diets, etc but nothing was lasting and I had to keep returning to taking medication.

The reason I'm posting this now, is I've been AS, Iritis, etc and medication free for two years. So what happened around two years ago that has resulted in this change you ask?

I had been resistance training on and off for many years but not seeing much results. I really wanted big muscles, a flat stomach and a six/eight pack grin

A lot of the research said to get big muscles you had to go into a 'bulking' phase eating > 3000 calories a day comprised lots of carbohydrate and protein. I tried this and while I did put on weight a lot of it was fat and it wasn't any help to my AS symptoms or my six pack dream.

I did more research which said now that you'ved bulked up, you need to 'cut' to lose the fat. Cutting is accomplished on a carbohydrate restricted diet of 30 - 50 grams carbs a day.

So I cut out all the carbs I possibly could (including sugar) and started eating meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, salads, etc very very judiciously checking the quantity of carbs in each. My six pack dream was at stake here laugh

I started losing fat and increasing muscle. I thought this was great and stuck with the carb restriction.

About 3 months down the track I realised I hadn't had an AS or Iritis flare up but I put it down to luck and gaussian distributions. It would strike again soon I was sure.

Six months passed, I was still carb restricted and trying to get that elsuive six pack. I was liking the way my body was changing and still no AS or Iritis. This was surprising but I was still reluctant to put it down to anything other than luck.

Well its about two years. I'm still carb restricted and still AS and Iritis free. After a lot of additional research on the ill effects of excess carbs, I'm willing to say my 'luck' is due to restricting carbs. Additionally previously I had high cholesterol and my GP was worried about heart attack risk and wanted me on statins. After restricting carbs my stats are so good my GP has me in the < 1 % risk of heart disease.

And as for that six pack? I have a flat tummy but the pack don't show. Apparently you need to be genetically gifted as well laugh

I wish you all the best in your battles with AS and a Happy New Year!

J

Last edited by johnsf; 01/08/11 09:58 PM. Reason: typos
Royal_AS_kicker
Royal_AS_kicker
Right on! It's great to hear such an awesome success story. It gives everyone hope ~ well, or it makes them jealous. jjk. yes

ANA+ RF+ Rh- HLAB27+
Dx JRA 1967, GAD 1997, AS 2009, HMs 2010, CPS 2013
pulmonary edema w/ NSAIDS 2009

Movin' it so I don't lose it!

Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Wow John, that's wonderful. I'm so glad you came back here to tell your story.

Cindy

" That which does not kill me only makes me stronger"
J
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
J
Hi John,

That's brilliant that your AS is in remission, or gone for good!

Your story highlights how individulistic AS is.

I had the 6 pack and was an athlete before AS struck!

Now I'm a couch potato on lots of medications!

All the best,

James

I ache, therefore I am

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
AWESOME! Im glad it has worked for you!

Lisa

Speak kindly, Live simply, Care deeply, Love generously, and BLAH, HA, HA, LOUDLY! every chance you get.

excellent! clap

thanks for sharing your experiences!

good to meet you smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Thanks for posting John,

Hope you can remain AS free for many more years.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
L
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
Thanks for sharing, I'm so happy for you and hope you keep in touch with KA and symptom free.

P
P
My symptoms also drastically decreased after 3 months of LSD, low carb diet ... with big increase in fruits and vegetables.

Lately I have been eating more carbs and slacking on the stretching, slowly the aching in my SI joints has come back.

I am a firm believer in diet and exercise helping AS ... way to go with being more disciplined than me ... I wish I could drag myself to the gym.

• Diag - USpA/AS JUN-10 // HLA-B27+
• Humira started DEC-10, every 2 weeks
• Started Minocycline antibiotic therapy JAN-11
• no/low starch diet started OCT-10
• Natural Supplements: Super Joint Complex, Omega 3, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Milk Thistle, Men's Multi, Probiotic Blend, Zyflamend
Hi John, and welcome back. smile

It's always good to hear a success story!!

Now, about that six pack. Be careful how you accomplish that, OK? Those super cut six packs are generally a result of a rectus abdominis muscle that is permanently shortened ... according to my pilates teacher anyway. Those super built guys will never be able to straighten up fully again, which is one of the things that muscle helps with (along with natural pelvic tilt). Here's one warning I found when I googled:

"The intense work that produces a sixpack, together with the bulky muscle’s continuous tightness, can cause lower back problems. Your RA muscle isn’t very useful, so building this up at the expense of deeper and more important ab muscles can leave your waist very untrained and vulnerable to all sorts of injury !"

So while strong abs and core are key to us being able to move upright, done incorrectly you can actually cause yourself some damage.

Hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 68 guests, and 95 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,261 hmmm
1,323,611 OMG!!!!
712,105 PARTY TIME!