Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Jessxo from stencil to bandaging it afterward took maybe 2 hours only because the tattooist was very pregnent and we were both worried about my lower back so we got up to stretch often, which we both needed !

my photos http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13 avatar is the tattoo I got shortly after getting my AS diagnosis, it says "to be in good health"
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
I love Mythbusters. This is a great thread! I've got many tattoos and some specific piercings and have never had any trouble with either in MRIs (but piercings and x-rays are always funny). I'm planning on getting more tattoos one day, when I am no longer broke (but that may never happen, especially with all I spend on medical care! bah). For those of you on the biologics, do you really notice much of a difference in your day-to-day immune function? I will likely be starting Remicade or Enbrel in a couple months. Just curious.

~Molly

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer. -Albert Camus
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
hi molly,

i'm not on a biologic, but i've seen this question brought up and discussed within the last year. if you can't find it by searching (not sure myself what search words would get you a hit) and don't get many responses at the end of this older thread, i'd ask the question again in a new thread; in the past that question got lots of responses. from what i remember, the answers varied, some people said yes, some no; i know most people said if they felt a cold coming on, they'd skip an injection, etc and scheduled it after their cold. i also think people said they were a bit more careful with handwashing etc....

sue

Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Molly neither enbrel or remicade bothers(ed) my immune system. The only time I had to postpone an infusion was because my husband was sick and he goes to the hospital with me. We put it off a week so he could go with me.

my photos http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13 avatar is the tattoo I got shortly after getting my AS diagnosis, it says "to be in good health"
N
OP Offline
N
I finally got it! It's a lotus flower. The lotus has many meanings in both hinduism and buddhism, but to me the meaning is simply - 'strenght through difficult times' and it means 'pure in spirit' a famous confucian scholar once said "I love the lotus because, while growing from mud, it is unstained" Now let me see if I can figure out how to post a pic...ugh

For larger version, click here: http://www.wearecrohns.org/stronger/photos/7937

Just in fixing the link - mig

Last edited by mig; 10/29/08 12:01 AM.
N
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
N
Sweet!

It sounds crazy, but the pain factor has been keeping me from getting a tattoo (I know, I can hardly move some mornings I'm in so much pain and a little needle scares the poo out of me).

How was the pain? Did it go away fast? How long did it take? Is it your first one?

I'm intrigued

-Kim

"you can't clean a fish you haven't caught"
New_Member
New_Member
I agree that if you are going to get a tat, I would talk to your doctor first. Chances are they would not recommend it. But if you insist on it, I'm sure that your doctor will have you go off of your immuno-suppressive drugs first for a few weeks to build your system back up - just like you have to do if you are sick. The possibility of having to take antibiotics beforehand would probably be a good idea, but not sure if the doctor would see fit to prescribe drugs just because you want to get a tat... know what I mean? Work on teeth is one thing, but just for sh*ts and grins they might frown upon - unless you've got a really cool doctor! hhahaha

I would also be very careful about placement. Some areas of the body heal faster than others and more more susceptible to infection. There are a lot of emerging studies about tats and the effects they can have on the interaction with anesthesia - for instance if you ever need an epidural (especially if they are located on the lower area of the back I.E. "tramp stamp".. sorry, no offense to anyone!!). Here is a good link that will explain more!

Tats and anesthesia info

Personally I got a tat many, many years ago before they were "in style" like they are now. I totally love the look of tats and mine looks like hell now because it's starting to "bleed". I really would like to get it touched up, but I don't think it's worth the risk. I've got enough problems without inviting another. I'm a risk taker in a lot of things, but not with my health. Whatever you decide, just be careful and do your homework first. ...Or, you can always hit the vending machine at the grocery store and find a cool temporary one to scratch that tat itch! j/k I think they have some Happy Bunny ones last time I looked! hahaha

Pam

P
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
P
I too have been afraid to get a Tat. My husband and two of my kids have them. (My kids are grown). They laugh at me. I just can't get past paying for pain. Do you think its worth it?

N
OP Offline
N
It's soooo worth it! If you can deal with AS and the battery of tests that come along with a chronic condition, you can deal with the pain of a tat, give yourself some credit!
I just kept telling myself - If I can go through a spinal tap with no tears, this is nothing! - And I was right. Yes it hurt, but I've been through much much worse, I'd say that at times my pain from crohns has been worse than the pain from getting that tat, for sure!

N
OP Offline
N
In answer to your questions it is my first tat , it only took about 15 minutes, and when it was over it felt like a sunburn, nothing more, within 2 days nothing! Its peeling now, but it was nothing, be brave, you can do it, especially if you deal with AS on a daily basis you know.

Last edited by newsjunkie; 10/29/08 02:14 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 54 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,566 hmmm
1,323,758 OMG!!!!
712,236 PARTY TIME!