last year when this was so bad, the doctors and i really thought it was soft tissue in the rhomboid area, but just to make sure it wasn't spinal, i did have an MRI of my C-spine and T-spine. i do have some disc damage in both regions, interestingly exactly where it hurts at times, but we all agreed that the severe pain really wasn't coming from those locations, though they cause issues of their own.

they did have me try lyrica as well in case any of my pain was nerve related, but that did nothing for the pain, all it did was give me a splitting migraine, all day every day til i went off it, then phew! headache gone.

and don't worry about the suggesting of herbs. i'm always shouting the praises of the things i've found helpful. i mean we suffer for so long sometimes and then when we find something that helps, we just want to shout it from the roof tops! want everyone to experience what we have, even if it might not work for everyone, we're just so excited, we can't help ourselves.

so, with that said. i like herbs. ginger and peppermint are a big part of my stomach therapy. yes, i take prilosec at night before bed, and occasionally mylanta as needed, but ginger and mint are really helpful for gastritis (and i can do mint because i don't have reflux).

as for the valerian. i have valerian root tea in my cupboard. the stuff tastes nasty! very medicinal tasting, but mixed with mint and honey, its not so bad. i do take it when i feel like i need it. i first bought it when i was having serious gastritis issues. didn't realize how powerful it would be, thought it would be more like chamomile, which i find very mild. went to the herb store, came home, made myself a cup of tea in the middle of the afternoon, then proceeded to zonk out in the recliner for three hours straight. so i use it when i need it. i agree, its a nice natural sedative.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)