Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Auggie Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
A
Hello, I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am looking for some information and feedback from others with AS. I have several AS symptoms, however my rheumatologist has ruled out this dx.
I have a hx of various symptoms, the main issues have been with my back (back pain starting in 20's, several herniated and bulging discs in all areas of spine, DDD, facet joint arthritis, vertebral fracture) resulting in constant, chronic pain around 3/10 which increases w stationary position or over doing any activity. I was taking narcotic pain management, however titred myself off. More recently I have been having joint pains in many of my joints (hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, ribs, hips, knees, ankles, feet), I have stiffness in my joints upon waking for several hours, plus the stiffness and pain interrupt my sleep necessitating my getting up and stretching and moving around a bit, and I find that I need to keep moving, changing position, otherwise I get stiff quickly, and I also have crepitus (clicking sound w rolling joints) in my joints upon movement. I am HLA B27 positive and also have a hx of IBS, vertigo, poor immunity to infectious disease, TMJ, mild anemia, and chronic tendonitis in my feet w inflammatory arthritis present, and flare-ups w my back where my pain increases to 7/10 and ROM in my back decreases (my partner took me to the er a few times in the past for these episodes). My family medical hx includes my father having RA, my brother w MS, and my maternal grandmother had severe arthritis in her back (but no medical assessment or management, so possibly AS).
I have had ultrasounds of my ribs, hands, feet & ankles, MRI of my spine, but not significant amts of inflammation present in my joints to make dx upon reviewing DI and physical assessment.
I find it all to be a bit overwhelming, confusing, and frustrating. The joints in my hands have swelled so that I can no longer wear most of my rings but little signs of inflammation in these joints...The rheumatologist has dx me w arthralgia, no explanation as to cause, no idea of prognosis, and suggested I get referral to physiatry for interventional pain management (cortisone inj & nerve block inj in spine, etc. & narc. pain management).
I am currently managing my symptoms by taking acetaminophen 4 grams and ibuprophen 1200 mg daily & just started arnica montana, 200 CH, 3 pellets, 3 x daily. I do stretches throughout day that I learned form physio. My average pain score is 5/10 throughout day.
I'm hoping that maybe others have suggestions that may help enlighten me a bit more as to what else I could be doing to manage my symptoms or get closer to a dx. Thanks for reading my post.

E
Active_Member
Active_Member
E
Sounds like AS. I'd recommend getting over to the diet-related part of this forum. Fast for several days, and if you see improvement, then you know you have an inflammatory/autoimmune/reactive condition of some kind.

AS Czar
AS Czar
WELCOME, Auggie:

Certainly, You have Pre-AS which is the proper diagnosis before damage Professor Ebringer's note 5. It runs in the family, despite myriad misdiagnoses; I hope You will explore other posts.

I hope that You are able to avoid the fusion and never need to be diagnosed properly; full AS is too often the result of the ignorance (benign neglect) of which You have already been subjected. Carol Sinclair cannot get an "official" AS diagnosis because her SIJs never fused--thanks to her diet.

HEALTH,
John

L
L33 Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
Hi I agree with Exacta

HLA B27+
Have AS since the age of 13.
Diagnosed in 2005 at the age of 22

A
Auggie Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
A
Hi Exacta,
Thx for your response. I am and will be reviewing the postings re diet in this forum. I am looking a bit further into fasting prior to trying this as I am breastfeeding. My typical diet is highly dependant on starches (breads, pastas, rice, starchy veggies), but I am willing to try this approach and will post if I respond well. I am curious how long it takes to notice an improvement, whether I might notice over a few days, weeks, months?

E
Active_Member
Active_Member
E
Auggie - Many people experience quite a bit of improvement in merely days or just few weeks. This was my experience.

However true remission seems to be a multi-year journey for most. The belief is that your digestive tract needs to undertake a prolonged healing process. I am about 15 months into mine. I have good days and bad.

A
Auggie Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
A
Hi DragonSlayer/John,
Thx very much for the welcome and reading and responding to my post. Thank you as well for the link to the paper by Professor Ebringer; this was insightful and gives me hope. To whatever end, I plan on having a discussion w my rheumatologist upon my follow up appt. To have someone in the medical community advancing our understanding of this disease and asserting that people can be AS sufferers without it being in the advanced stages is highly vindicating; but I find it also disconcerting that there can be such differing views (whereby my rheum. was suggesting that my symptoms may be a result of stress). It seems that many health professionals are not keeping pace w medical advances.
As for Carol Sinclair, I will be ordering her book on the no starch diet.
Again, thanks

A
New_Member
New_Member
A
Hi Auggie,

Why has your rheumatologist ruled out an inflammatory condition? Have you had all the relevant blood tests (including auto antibody screen, rheumatoid factor and full blood count)?

Did you experience any changes in your symptoms during pregnancy?

I'm new to KickAS too, although I must admit to visiting the forum more-than-regularly to see what was going on. It was hugely valuable when I started on the NSD (really difficult when you're working in remote field camps for weeks on end and the food options are rice or nothing...). I feel bad for not contributing previously but here I am now.

Best, Ag

HLA B27 +ve. Localised pain in SI joints, lumbar and thoracic spine. No swelling. Eyes OK, peripheral joints OK. NSAID usage from 2005 to 2018, meloxicam.

Least favourite saying: No Pain No Gain.

2005 - Diagnosed after two years of debilitating SI pain, early 20's
2017 - Waitlist for rheumatologist in Ireland=14-months
2018 - Seeking alternatives
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Welcome Auggie:

Your body sounds like mine. I had a bowl of millet this morning with honey, blue berries, and walnuts with a cup of chocolate coffee.

I am not the poster child of the No Starch Diet but I STRONGLY advocate it because it works for me when I have the discipline!

I feel a change in just a few days, then a big change after a month. I never have had the strength to go longer. A danger is I feel so physically good and in such a high mood that I throw caution to the wind and go nuts on chocolate, cheese cake, nuts, etc. Then I find myself back at square one.

A few on this web site have reported being very starch tolerant after being diligent with the NSD for at least a year.

Good luck1

Last edited by Robin_H; 02/02/18 04:07 AM.

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
I wonder how NSD advocates manage over Christmas and this is not a dig at anyone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,497 hmmm
1,323,721 OMG!!!!
712,207 PARTY TIME!