Greetings, fellow ASkickers!

After 10 years of looking for a diagnosis, I was finally diagnosed with AS about 5 years ago and have been on Humira and MTX since then. My symptoms were never classic AS, so it was a long, difficult journey to getting doctors to believe me and treat me. I've been doing great on the meds and am busy living my life now.

I did the NSD for 18 months and it didn't seem to help much, but I appreciate that others have had great success with it.

I'm teaching biology at a nursing college and enjoying my 5 grandchildren. Last year, I hiked the Grand Canyon and bicycled the Great Allegheny Passage. This summer, my husband and I had planned to go on a two-week bike trip along the Danube, but we'll have to postpone due to Covid restrictions on travel.

Life is good, though I have some residual neck and SI issues that I have to be careful with.

A couple of weeks ago, my 30 year old daughter was diagnosed with AS also and she started a biologic last week. I hate seeing this disease passed on to the next generation, but I'm glad she didn't have to through the medical odyssey of getting a diagnosis and treatment that nearly crushed my hope.

I'm grateful to all of the people at kickas who supported me on my journey and I miss all of you.

Best wishes to everyone!

Karen

I cannot make the universe obey me. I cannot make other people conform to my own whims and fancies. I cannot make even my own body obey me.

Thomas Merton

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.

Emily Dickinson