Hi All,

I joined this site about 8 or 9 years ago and have posted only a handfull of times since. Mine was the usual sad story - AS showed up in mid-teens (I'm 30 now) and when it flared I was a cripple unless I took medication. And then the Iritis, Plantar Fasciitis, etc showed up as well and all would flare up regularly.

I tried the anti-biotic regimens, NSD for a few weeks but it didnt work, apple diets, lemon diets, etc but nothing was lasting and I had to keep returning to taking medication.

The reason I'm posting this now, is I've been AS, Iritis, etc and medication free for two years. So what happened around two years ago that has resulted in this change you ask?

I had been resistance training on and off for many years but not seeing much results. I really wanted big muscles, a flat stomach and a six/eight pack grin

A lot of the research said to get big muscles you had to go into a 'bulking' phase eating > 3000 calories a day comprised lots of carbohydrate and protein. I tried this and while I did put on weight a lot of it was fat and it wasn't any help to my AS symptoms or my six pack dream.

I did more research which said now that you'ved bulked up, you need to 'cut' to lose the fat. Cutting is accomplished on a carbohydrate restricted diet of 30 - 50 grams carbs a day.

So I cut out all the carbs I possibly could (including sugar) and started eating meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, salads, etc very very judiciously checking the quantity of carbs in each. My six pack dream was at stake here laugh

I started losing fat and increasing muscle. I thought this was great and stuck with the carb restriction.

About 3 months down the track I realised I hadn't had an AS or Iritis flare up but I put it down to luck and gaussian distributions. It would strike again soon I was sure.

Six months passed, I was still carb restricted and trying to get that elsuive six pack. I was liking the way my body was changing and still no AS or Iritis. This was surprising but I was still reluctant to put it down to anything other than luck.

Well its about two years. I'm still carb restricted and still AS and Iritis free. After a lot of additional research on the ill effects of excess carbs, I'm willing to say my 'luck' is due to restricting carbs. Additionally previously I had high cholesterol and my GP was worried about heart attack risk and wanted me on statins. After restricting carbs my stats are so good my GP has me in the < 1 % risk of heart disease.

And as for that six pack? I have a flat tummy but the pack don't show. Apparently you need to be genetically gifted as well laugh

I wish you all the best in your battles with AS and a Happy New Year!

J

Last edited by johnsf; 01/08/11 09:58 PM. Reason: typos