Feeling frustrated right now because I've been taking methotrexate for about 8 months and I'm still having to take 6 mg of prednisone as well or I can't walk or function. I was taking 15 mg of mtx (6 pills) once per week for the first 5 - 6 months then upped it to 20 mg (8 pills) but still have no improvement. To figure out whether it's working or not, I have to gradually taper the prednisone but with each reduction, the pain gets worse and worse. Maybe the mtx is helping a bit - can't really tell because the prednisone masks the symptoms.

I'm going to increase the mtx to 25 mg (10 pills) next week as a final effort to see if it will work but I find it so frustrating that it takes so many months to find out if a drug is working and then, if it isn't, you're starting all over with another one.

In the meantime, the RA has definitely progressed. Last summer, the primary pain was in my trochanteric bursae and the bursae on my shoulders (as well as all the other parts - hands, wrists, toes, sternum etc.). Now the pain has moved to inside the hip and shoulder joints. In fact, my left shoulder makes a nasty "thunk" when I move it in a certain way. I'm suspicious I'm developing damage within those joints.

The mtx is the 3rd DMARD that I've tried - not sure what's next if it doesn't work. My GP isn't suggesting an anti-TNF yet and my rheumy wasn't rushing around to try and help much either. In fact, my GP is much more helpful and supportive.

Oh, well... that's my update.

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil