Thanks for those stories. I have been thinking about surgery. Probably mainly for 'cosmetic' reasons atm as well. Though I would also greatly enjoy being able to do things above my head (like look at what I am getting from the kitchen cupboards or hanging up the washing without the need for a step ladder). I'm not sure if there is compelling medical reason for it at this stage. I'm not sure what the exact level of my curvature is. I cannot straighten up or lie flat on my back without 2 pillows under my head. I'm currently experiencing a lot of neck pain which makes it hard to sleep. I regularly suffer from pinched nerves. I don't know if the surgery would help against the pain and nerve issues at all?

I have also been told about the difficulty with intubation. It was an obstetrician who told me that it would be virtually impossible. He told me when I was 8 months pregnant and I completely panicked when he casually mentioned that I would not be able to have an epidural because of the fusion of my lumbar. Nice! I demanded to speak to the aneasthetist then and he assured me that they would always find a way to do emergency surgery, if necessary without the tube. Added risk of course...

I'm seeing a rheumy next Monday and will definitely ask him about this, though I am very worried about:
the risks
the long recovery time (how long was that for you, Brad, Allen?)
the cost

Good luck McCalrsen.

Lin

Lin