Lower back aches nagged me from my late teens on and off. Iritis hit in my mid-20s and came back 3 times in the next ten years. Finally, a doctor ordered the HLA-B27 test in late 2003 and I found this place shortly after by searching "iritis and HLA-B27." Thank goodness! At my first visit to a rheumatologist in early 2004, I was diagnosed with "Spondylarthropy probably Ankylosing spondylitis." That day, I joined and posted here.

Being trained as a pharmacist, I know all the side effects of medications and didn't like the future of being constantly on drugs with serious adverse effects. So I looked into alternatives. The diet sounded reasonable, but I read some non-AS books and tried vegetarian and gluten-free diets first. GF helped (mostly with migraines), but not nearly enough. So 8/04 I began the NSD with an apple fast. It hasn't been easy, but BOY is it worth it! When I stay away from starch, I have essentially no lower back/SI pain. When I cheat too much it comes roaring back worse than before I started the diet.

If I have to stay away from starch for the rest of my life, I think it is worth it. I am on no medication at this time and use supplements like probiotics, l-glutamine, MSM, vitamins and minerals. I visit a chiropractor weekly who adjusts using an activator and not twisting.

It is not an exaggeration to say that this website and this diet have changed my life for the better. I owe a debt of gratitude to those who came before me and made the information available and helped me "get it." To those considering trying I'd suggest, just do it, you won't regret it.

Ann
mom to three boys 10, 12, 14
Diagnosed with spondylitis in 2004
pharmacist who now seeks natural therapies including NSD & essential oils