Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
F
Not sure if anyone has done this test, but my wife and I recently did it and it's quite fascinating the results that you get. I guess normally this sort of test costs thousands of dollars but for now this company is offering for $99 and 20% off the second one if you get two. I don't work for them nor am I affiliated with them. Aside from the wealth of ancestry information and other interesting things like your reaction to various pharmaceuticals, alcohol, etc. Of most interest to me was that my risk for AS was "moderately increased" over the average. I am B27 positive so it's just interesting to have another layer of genetics confirm it. Here was another crazy fact, it shows how much of your genetics are neanderthal in origin and mine was in the 99th percentile!

However, two of my highest health risks are type 2 diabetes and Gout. I've always known I've had issues with sugar and thus try to limit my intake if any at all. Gout though is an interesting one. Seems that being LSD increases this chance even more so. I should probably get my uric acid levels tested just to see where I stand. Anyone else have this test done by chance or have thoughts on the Gout thing? Anyone here ever get Gout from all the meat eating?

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Facinating field. I would *love to do it but expensive over here in Europe. Wonder IF the company would do the test for someone in Europe ? Hmmmmmm. Got the link. Now to find out IF poss to get it done

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
I have had that test done also, you can do it anywhere in the world I think (I did it from NZ). I found it very interesting.

I'm also B27 positive. Of the 9 AS related SNPs they report I had:
2 - slightly lower odds
3 - typical odds
2 - slightly higher odds
1 - moderately higher odds
1 - substantially increased odds

I've been meaning to do some more research into the rs7743761 SNP which is the substantially increased odds one (4.6 times normal risk). Still pretty trivial compared to the effect that HLA-B27 has (87 times normal risk!). It seems a bit irresponsible that they don't seem to mention that anywhere for people who aren't aware of their B27 status.

The other thing I was interested in were gut related issues since they could play a role in AS. I had a substantially reduced risk of Crohn's (0.35 times normal risk) and 1.18 times increased risk of UC. Celiac was the disease I had the biggest predisposition to relative to the general population with 3.78 times normal risk.

It doesn't mention it anywhere on 23andme but I ran my raw data through Promethease and found out that I had one of the SNP's for impaired NSAID metabolism and increased risk of gastrointestinal bleeding - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19422321

I was in the 93rd percentile for neanderthal DNA, maybe AS is a neanderthal disease! wink

Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Hey Molly, it should be possible as 23andme is pretty big. I live in Australia and had no major issues getting the test done.. just a bit of delay from shipping and also finding the shipping company that they use seemed harder than it should've been.

They don't actually test for HLAB27 status, but the will probably add it in future..?

They did test for the Alzheimer's gene APOE4 and it turns out I have two copies. Sigh. One copy from each parent. It is just strong statistical link with that gene, but nothing is absolute of course.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Could suggest to them to 'ad' the HLA-B27 gene...

Alzheimer's? a bit disturbing. My uncle had A. but possible the weakness was there and then 'let out' by lifestyle choices ? Like my aunt *always used aluminium pans ! I chucked mine out years ago. And there are many meds with aluminium in them - have one here for gut probs (!) that is shelved with my no-nos. Got to be so vigilant.

Thanks Zark - will contact the company.

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
G
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
G
Hi,
I think this sounds interesting just for the ancestry info my parents heard a radio programme about us all being descendants from seven women and the pharmaceutical info alcohol etc could be helpful but I have reservations:

a) The suspicious person in me is worried what the company would do with the genetic information they have on you.

b) What an insurance company would do knowing the results (I don't know if there would be a check box for it on a form at least not yet!)

c) Do I want to know my genetic predispositions, on the one hand yes if it would help my child but for me...

What is the alternative to being a descendent of Neanderthal man???? laugh

NSD almost all the way
No dairy hard cheeses occasionally and homemade ghee
Still trying to work out what makes me tick and what makes me drop

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi
Well - there sure aint a darn thing we can do about any of it smile Lumbered with what we're born with - like 100% of the rest of the world, no matter what their status OR their employment (sauce for goose, sauce for gander, innit. Rhetorical !)

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
I want to do that, but I've been told its illegal to spit (and have the spit tested) in the state that I'm in. I've been told I can spit in another state and then mail it in, but not planning to travel anytime soon to a state where its legal to spit....but when I do......

or maybe I just need to go read the fine print for myself.

But I'm very interested in the testing. I think it would be fascinating.

If it didn't pull up diabetes, heart and liver disease....if it didn't pull up spondyloarthropathy....something would be seriously wrong, as these are both big problems in my family.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
F
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
F
Hey Jroc - I had a lower number for both Crohns and UC than the average so that was interesting to look at too with the relation to our issues as you mentioned.

Grumpy- Yes, the privacy thing was an issue for me too, but you can specifically opt what you share and if they keep your sample or destroy it. There is literally TONS of information once you get your results and what you choose to "unlock" or see and what you choose to share with others as the site also finds potential relatives based on other peoples submitted spit. It's a fine line and borders on that whole "GATTACA" movie with Ethan Hawk that I loved by the way, but genetic profiling is a bound to be a touchy subject the more we move forward.

Regarding the Gout issue, I'm curious if anyone here as experienced this since going NSD/LSD? With my increased risk, it does worry me a bit but then again I'm half Asian and it says my test isn't conclusive since it mostly applies to those of European descent with the Gout gene that I share. Probably should get uric acid levels checked just to see if they are elevated.

L
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
It's not seriously illegal to spit where you live...is it???

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 41 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis
by Missalicia - 05/25/22 05:38 AM
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Popular Topics(Views)