Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/184874.php

Torax Medical Receives CE Mark For Its LINX(R) Anti-Reflux Treatment

Torax Medical Inc., a medical device company focused on the minimally invasive treatment of gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), has received CE Mark for its LINX® Anti-Reflux treatment.. The company has started commercial launch of the LINX device at select centers in Europe.

(snip...) "Patients with GERD typically experience burning pain and tissue damage, the result of stomach juices refluxing into the esophagus. This is due to a defective esophageal sphincter muscle between the esophagus and the stomach. These juices, which include acid and bile, are harmful to the lining of the esophagus and are prevented from entering the esophagus when the sphincter muscle is normal. The LINX device is designed to augment an abnormal sphincter and restore its barrier function.

"The LINX device has been implanted in over 150 patients in Europe and the U.S. as part of clinical trials." (more...)

About the LINX Anti-Reflux Device

The LINX device is a ring of interlinked, miniature titanium beads with magnetic cores. The device is placed around the esophagus just above the stomach using a standard laparoscopic procedure. The design is intended to augment the existing sphincter, preventing it from opening to acid and other reflux. When swallowing, the beads can momentarily separate, allowing food to pass into the stomach; magnetic attraction between beads helps the device to close. Patients are expected to resume normal activities and a normal diet upon discharge. In the U.S., the LINX System is not approved for commercial distribution and is currently limited by Federal law to investigational use."

-------------------------##

I read of this procedure about 18 months ago (was being done in Spain, with a degree of success) then lost the link. Now being looked at in America - I think it looks to be a better procedure than the fundoplication op. But as is yet in its infancy, there is a long row to hoe... I watch with great interest, as refuse to take those PPIs - nasty side effects, including danger of full blown Osteoporosis (if have osteopenia), weight gain and dependency 'on' the PPIs which in turn leads to even *worse reflux problems! No thanks.

Open the LINX link to the actual magnetic bead band - facinating.

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
thanks molly,

i'll pass this on to hubby, though his is much better managed these days than in the beginning.

also, hope wendy sees this, otherwise, i'll PM her to take a look.

thanks again,

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
Hey Molly,

I've been thinking that that would work for some time, just didn't think of magnets. But I wonder if they couldn't make it so it only worked at night. I doubt it. The only time I have Gert is at night. I think my esophagus is so tough after all the years that I don't have heartburn. But I do end up with acid in my throat and on occasion, on my vocal cords. That makes for a really deep voice, and I can hit the low bass notes with out even trying, but that probably is not a good way to do it.

Here's my real question. If the valve is loose enough to let food pass, why wouldn't it be loose enough to let acid past. And, if it is tight enough to keep acid in the stomach, could you have a buildup of food on top of the valve that didn't make it all the way through? It could just sit there and rot.. well not really, but just a thought.

Dean

Keep the Faith!

Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
This is pretty exciting. I've been offered the standard op to fix my 'defective esophageal sphincter muscle' but I've been too chicken to get it done.

OP Offline
Dean - have a 'night specific' article for you, will pick it up later this eveing...

Have now posted it under its own title - 'Nighttime GERD'

Last edited by Mollyc1i; 04/15/10 09:54 PM. Reason: added info

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 111 guests, and 366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Goat A2 milk kefir and almonds
by jawad - 06/22/24 06:29 AM
Goat A2 milk kefir and almonds
by jawad - 06/22/24 06:19 AM
Carol Sinclair
by mosconi411 - 05/15/24 03:04 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
What's news since Alan Ebringer 2013 ?
by Ako - 12/22/19 05:10 PM