Kickas.org
Posted By: gbash What not to do for AS... - 01/04/12 04:35 PM
I remember when I first had to attend physical therapy as part of my early AS treatment, and the therapist was totally ignorant about AS. He suggested that I wear a brace, but I had already read that a brace was a poor choice for AS, as the back muscles would eventually weaken from it and allow for more curvature.

I got to wondering, what are other things or practices should be avoided for AS and why? Maybe we should leave diet out of this topic for now.

--Greg
Posted By: Sue22 Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/04/12 06:17 PM
bracing any of my tendonitises makes them infinitely worse.

using a neck pillow too often weakens my neck muscles further (similar to the back brace idea).

i know a lot of people say chiropractic care is a no no for AS, so i'll be the first to suggest that. but for me, with undiff spondy, it has been the one thing that has kept me off of disability these last 2 years. but it is very very important to go to someone who knows what they are doing and treats us like the delicate flowers that we are. smile
Posted By: Donette Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/05/12 04:12 PM
**sitting anywhere still too long, especially a computer or looking down at a book "kills" me.

**not getting enough rest/sleep when flaring seems to do me worse as well

**sleeping on a pillow while on my back, I'm trying to avoid curvature but it has actually caused a terrible pinched nerve when I've accidentally fallen asleep on the pillow.

(Hi Sue!)
Posted By: gbash Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/05/12 04:47 PM
I've also heard that you shouldn't do anything the twists or jars the back, such as golfing or jogging on hard surfaces.

I guess any slouching is a big no-no.
Posted By: rumble Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/06/12 08:02 AM
Too long in one position is bad, especially if the one position is standing.

(maybe leave diet AND chiropractic out of it for a while--two hot-button topics)
Posted By: Kancie Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/06/12 08:50 AM
If you have not yet fused, stand tall with shoulders back.

Sleeping on your side is bad, as it both bends your spine and curves your shoulders inward. Sleep as straight as possible.

Like many, I have eggshell foam under the fitted sheet, however I devised this trick to keep me from rolling onto my side: It's actually two lengths of eggshell, with a 4 to 6 inch space between them on my side of the bed. That kind of furrows me in. I use one small feather pillow, so I can squish it for support where I feel I need it. Been doing this for a couple of weeks now, and I think it's really contributed to comfort, my being able to rest longer, and waking up with less stiffness.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/06/12 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Kancie

Sleeping on your side is bad, as it both bends your spine and curves your shoulders inward. Sleep as straight as possible.

I use one small feather pillow, so I can squish it for support where I feel I need it. Been doing this for a couple of weeks now, and I think it's really contributed to comfort, my being able to rest longer, and waking up with less stiffness.

I spent my whole life sleeping on my left side. Had to switch to my right side in 1998 when i "hurt" my left neck/upperback/shoulder. Had to switch to my back when my SI joint kicked in in 2000. On my back ever since. I've never moved much in my sleep, ever; as a kid, i could just slip out from under the covers with the bed already practically made. So, however i fall asleep, is how i wake up. I sleep with a few pillows under my legs to tilt my pelvis slightly; takes the pressure off my SI joint and lower spine.

and spent years sleeping with two pillows propping my head up. didn't realize how it was contributing to my neck pain until one night i fell asleep without a pillow and my neck felt so much better. ditched the old pillows. found bunching a polartec pullover under my neck for support was somewhat helpful. which led me to buying the thinnest of feather pillows. that was probably 10 years ago. best investment i ever made. the feather pillow gives my neck the perfect support and gives the head some gentle comfort. and my neck can now remain perfectly neutral.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/06/12 03:56 PM
i'll chime in with donette (hi Donette smile ) and Rumble regarding not being in any one position for too long:

sitting too long is the worst for me
standing is almost as bad
even laying too long is bad (i do best sleeping 1/2 the night in the recliner and 1/2 the night in the bed)

having jaw in open at dentist for too long (taking a muscle relaxant prior helps, and the dentist allowing me to take frequent breaks also helps)

wearing inflexible shoes. wore my shoe boots for too long the other day and my foot "got stuck" and had to be worked to get it mobile again. quite painful.

i think this is one reason bracing is so bad for me, keeps whichever body part in one position.

PTs in the past told me it all had to do with blood flow. good blood flow allowing the body to deal with the inflammation better or something like that.
Posted By: Lon Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/06/12 06:58 PM
Hi
good advice.
everyone means well. but what is best for you remains to be your experience...
if I did not press my joints to range of motion, my back, shoulders, hips --I would be unable to put on my shoes in three days. so i constantly twist, turn and pull those muscles.
Please let me know what works, or is working.

you will be adding to our knowledge
Posted By: snowshoe Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/07/12 12:25 AM
Cartwheels cry
Posted By: Sue22 Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/07/12 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: snowshoe
Cartwheels cry

LOL!

in that case, i add, headstands! :santa2:
Posted By: rumble Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/07/12 07:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Sue22
wearing inflexible shoes. wore my shoe boots for too long the other day and my foot "got stuck" and had to be worked to get it mobile again. quite painful.

Ditto on the inflexible shoes....I had surgery on 2 of my toes (one on each foot) this past summer. I wore the rigid surgery shoes till I went for stitch removal at 10 days post-op. My calves (one of my bad spots) were absolutely horridly stiff, flamingly sore and I was unable to walk without severe pain. This was due to the surgery shoes. Took a week to undo the damage.

I would add that some of us need good arch support, flexible shoes, roomy toe boxes, cushy insoles. Others can wear 'other stuff' with no problem. For shoes, it's best to find your personal Nirvana because AS feet are rarely happy feet.

I think the shoe answer for 'what not to do' should be.... don't wear shoes that are bad for you.
Posted By: Carol61 Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/07/12 08:15 AM
Regarding..Sleeping on your side is bad, as it both bends your spine and curves your shoulders inward. Sleep as straight as possible.

I have spent my whole life sleeping on my side. Either one. I toss from one side to the other the whole night depending how much my shoulders hurt. doesnt matter. Cant sleep on my back. I will admit my shoulders give me hell but if I I tried to sleep on my back I feel like I am choking (always have done).

I agree with being in 1 position too long, standing or sitting. So very bad for us.
Posted By: Horsewoman Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/09/12 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Carol61
Regarding..Sleeping on your side is bad, as it both bends your spine and curves your shoulders inward. Sleep as straight as possible.

I have spent my whole life sleeping on my side. Either one. I toss from one side to the other the whole night depending how much my shoulders hurt. doesnt matter. Cant sleep on my back. I will admit my shoulders give me hell but if I I tried to sleep on my back I feel like I am choking (always have done).

I agree with being in 1 position too long, standing or sitting. So very bad for us.

I sleep on my side and am the same (shoulder trouble). But I can't sleep on my back. I'm large chested and I feel like I can't breathe, and some days I get SI pain. Sometimes I sleep kind of on my side but more towards the front, with the bottom arm stretched out alongside me, seems to help loosen my shoulders up. What I want is a new mattress- on holiday I slept on a pocket spring one, and the give around my body made it so much more comfortable. But no money for that for the forseeable.

Shoes- Birks are a big no-no for me. I developed PF after getting my first pair, didn't realise the shoes were making it worse, then ended up dependent on them as it hurt more if I didn't wear them. Am now in a lengthy process of weaning myself off them. Just got a pair of Converse I hope to be able to wear in the spring.

Walking barefoot on hard floors. Owww!
Posted By: Dusty1 Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/09/12 02:19 PM
I need a rotisserie to sleep.. Approx 30 -40mins left then 30 back then right then front and round we go again.. If I'm really bad I need to be propped up to sleep.. I do sleep with no pillow front and back for max flatness..
I guess using the word sleep could be construed as a stretch of the imagation really but it's what I get.
Posted By: jay_bharat Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/09/12 04:44 PM
Most of the members have mentioned against sleeping on the sides. I accept that it does not keep the spine straight. I have been lying on the sides. I understand prone lying is the recommended posture. In that position the neck has to be kept side ways. Hence, I do not do that.

My querry is what are the disadvantages to lie on the sides.

Regrads.
JAY
Posted By: Lon Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/09/12 06:01 PM
Dusty,
I am finally getting sleep.
PM night time, meds helped.

But the meds the neurologist gave are of course the best.
6-7 hours now. I do not feel rested, but the flu like symptoms are not as bad.

are you taking a night time med?
Posted By: Lon Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/09/12 06:07 PM
snow - come on! Cartwheels?
this is cerial.
How do you expect to catch that silly wabbit, joking around like this?
Listening?
that's better,now be cerial, ok? cartwheels?
I have done two; my wife's 1965 Camero, F 150 pickup. Well I was head over heels anyway..
Posted By: Sue22 Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/09/12 08:22 PM
Originally Posted By: jay_bharat
Most of the members have mentioned against sleeping on the sides. I accept that it does not keep the spine straight. I have been lying on the sides. I understand prone lying is the recommended posture. In that position the neck has to be kept side ways. Hence, I do not do that.

My querry is what are the disadvantages to lie on the sides.

Regrads.
JAY

for me, i simply can't do it. either side and within a few minutes, my SI joint starts to hurt. even when its relatively calm, laying on my side makes it hurt. i'm not really sure why that is the case, but it is.
Posted By: Brandon Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/09/12 08:42 PM
I can't sleep on my sides anymore. It hurts to bad. Of course I can't sleep in any position sometimes...lol.
Posted By: Kancie Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/10/12 01:50 AM
Keeping Straight Through the Night

Some good info on sleeping, including support and positioning when you are unable to sleep on back or belly.
Posted By: Dusty1 Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/10/12 09:10 AM
Dusty,
I am finally getting sleep.
PM night time, meds helped.

But the meds the neurologist gave are of course the best.
6-7 hours now. I do not feel rested, but the flu like symptoms are not as bad.

are you taking a night time med?

For horrendous nights I take either tramal or Endone/ OxyContin they sometimes take the edge off. For your down right annoying nights I will use 3 nuerofen.. It can help for a bit..
I try to keep painkillers to a minimum so my body isn't overloaded with meds all the time. The stronger painkillers can cause "cockroaches" to run around under my skin all night if I"m unlucky
The old adage sleep when your dead seems to be my motto at present smile
Posted By: aussiegirl Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/29/12 02:13 PM
I know this is not good but I just can't wear shoes. If anything I wear a pair of thongs (flip flops for the non aussies)lol
Not a good thing for the heels or arches but if I wear shoes withing 2 minutes my entire spine is screaming.

Big no no is spending thousands of dollars on a special mattress designed to help those with bad backs and never being uble to sleep on it. My advice if you are going to buy an expensive mattress give yourself plenty of time to do it. You realy need to spend at least an hour laying on each mattress in the store. I tried the one I bought for about 15mins and it felt great but after getting it home the first night I found it was no good.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: What not to do for AS... - 01/29/12 02:48 PM
i'm like you with the whole wearing shoes vs not wearing shoes, though for me its my feet that become inflamed, flaring up my PF. for me its the arch support, so i have a few "shoes" with no arch support. for years i tried to be good about arch support: orthotics, custom made orthotics, shoes that others swore by for arch support. but in the end, even my podiatrist agreed with me that i needed FLAT! the flat shoes with no cushioning can be hard on my feet if i'm on hard surfaces; the trick is for me to find flat shoes with some cushioning on the outside / bottom. or standing barefoot on a cushion (that's the best and what i do in the kitchen and in the lab) or walking on grass, in the dirt, anything soft.

as for the bed. i spent hours laying by myself on beds in stores for a few years. then finally found a bed i could lay on. but didn't think to try it with another person in the bed. when my husband lays as well, the bed tilts in toward the middle and makes my neck / face / upper back go into spasm. so separate beds. we said til we got something like an air bed with separate sides. but honestly, we both sleep better this way. hadn't realized how much we both woke one another up. we both sleep more soundly now.
Posted By: Possi Re: What not to do for AS... - 02/21/12 04:44 AM
Hi Greg. From one Okie to another...I have a brace; in fact two different ones. I am supposed to wear one when I am doing housework or yard work to protect my back. I am not supposed to wear it all of the time because of the weakness that can happen. The spine doctor said it was very important though to wear it during times of stress that I could really hurt my back.

I suppose it depends on the doctor. confused I do wear it though for some activities.

Beautiful weather we are having!

Blessings.
Possi hrtballon
Posted By: gbash Re: What not to do for AS... - 02/22/12 06:56 PM
Possi, sounds like your doctor understands the constraints of AS. I have enjoyed the past few days. I am so ready for Spring.

--Greg
Posted By: Pea Re: What not to do for AS... - 02/23/12 12:59 AM
Just got back from back surgeon and he doesn't like the fact that most of the night I sleep on my stomach because my neck is turned. However, I too feel like a rotisserie. I start on my back, move to the side and then the stomach and then this goes on all night. I wake up pretty well that way. Stiff but not tore up from the floor up!
I think whatever makes you comfortable enough to get the kind of sleep we need is the dealio!
We bought a Sealy latex foam mattress a year ago and it is the soft one. Love it to pieces. It goes up and down and vibrates but it is so comfy. It is not like a tempurpedic. I tried one of those and it was too hard to turn over. This is supposed to never sag and is free of dust mites as well as our pillow's. It is the best bed I have ever had but the most expensive. Would buy it all over again though!
Posted By: Kancie Re: What not to do for AS... - 02/25/12 11:04 AM
Totally agree on the mattress buying, I have a lovely bed that hurts me so badly.
Posted By: NewNormalCharity Re: What not to do for AS... - 03/07/12 04:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Brandon
I can't sleep on my sides anymore. It hurts to bad. Of course I can't sleep in any position sometimes...lol.

I used to sleep on my left side to help with IBS... it is best position if you have stomach upset. and if I am napping because of nausea then i lay on right side. Right now i wish i had 2 beds. a firm one to sleep on my back in and a soft cushie one that would cradle me when my stomach bad. currently when i lay on side i have pillow between knees (since teen years) one to Hug (big fluffy) small pillow to support neck, and now a thin one to hold my right arm at the correct position. I do not travel well let me tell ya! lol...
but this is the only way i can get to sleep sometimes. i sleep better if on my back on firm mattress. soft matres i wake up in agony because of ribs cant hardly breath.
oh and the Chiro.. they are not all created equal. Dont go to one who helps with "back pain" or deals in symptom releif only, rather find one who believes in regular checks and gentle adjustment using only the drop table and who's goal is to help you get and remain as subluxation free as possible.. its like getting good circulation for your nervous system. i'd be 1000% worse without mine. but a bad one made me worse for sure
Posted By: NewNormalCharity Re: What not to do for AS... - 03/07/12 04:20 AM
for sleeping on stomach.. go to walmart and buy massage table. then put a few pilows under feet and thin one under the ribs and voila sleep face down without cranking neck. i try to get 30 min a day but its in basement so i keep forgetting to do that.
Posted By: NewNormalCharity Re: What not to do for AS... - 03/07/12 04:28 AM
best arc supports ever.... BERGALS (http://www.bergal.de/index.php?id=121&L=10 , they are sold in canada at Tootsie Family shoes. I have 2 pairs. the leather has long fallen off.. and the adhesive gone. i move them from shoe to boot as needed. they are plastic and you buy them for your shoe size, not one size fits all. I love them and cannot live without them. they are relatively innexpensive and better than custom because custom makes an insole to your messed up foot and makes like a brace. these are different. I can walk barefoot in summer. but i cannot stand on my heels on any hard surface. No ceramic tile floors for us. its laminate all the way and new cushion floor mats from Costco for the kitchen.

Has anyone else noticed they walk on the balls of their feet *tipy toed* and leaning forward a bit. I do , always have. kinda have a bounce when i walk like this. Have to wear heavy boots or platform sandals to stop it. I cant stand the feeling in my ears if i hit heal first.
Posted By: BodSquad Re: What not to do for AS... - 03/29/12 11:47 PM
Any position for too long is bad IMO
Posted By: Sue22 Re: What not to do for AS... - 03/30/12 07:43 AM
Originally Posted By: BodSquad
Any position for too long is bad IMO

i second that! so true!
Posted By: DocRox Re: What not to do for AS... - 04/02/12 06:44 PM
Sue22,
what type of mattress did you get?
© Kickas.org