Kickas.org
Posted By: jpinperth Occipital Neuralgia - 03/24/15 08:28 PM
Hi All,

I haven't been here much, but wondering if anyone else has this and what helped the most. I have been getting lidocaine nerve blocks with only minor results. The pain is so intense in the back of my head and scalp. Any advice would be appreciated.

Janet
Posted By: Inanna Re: Occipital Neuralgia - 03/25/15 01:43 PM
Janet, I have incredible occipital pain which, frankly has been there non-stop for 25 years. I used to use my favourite herbal salve, but then I couldn't get it anymore. Now, I see a Beijing trained acupuncturist a few times a year (on my own dime, so can't afford to go as frequently as I'd like) and she does work on my trapezius muscle that is incredible. I wonder if that might help you?

Love and Warm hugs,
Posted By: jpinperth Re: Occipital Neuralgia - 03/25/15 04:52 PM
Hi There,

Do they feel it is A/S related ? Mine started after doing 3 months of daily knitting for a business I started on-line. The doc thinks it will settle with time, but boy it sure shoots up into my scalp.

Janet
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Occipital Neuralgia - 03/25/15 06:48 PM
Not sure if the same thing, but when my neck and upper back were really flared, my head hurt so bad and my physiatrist gave me a trigger point injection right into the occipital muscle right on the back of my head, and it made it so much better.

they tried me on lyrica, but that gave me migraines, but its worth trying, as it helps people with nerve pain a lot when it doesn't give side effects. i know people with diabetic neuropathy that it helps.

other than that, on my own, contrasting heat and ice has helped, sort of.

hope it settles for you soon,
Posted By: jpinperth Re: Occipital Neuralgia - 03/26/15 12:03 AM
Hi Sue,

That would be the occipital nerve I would think he injects into your skull. I know it isn't like any headache I have ever had, but I have been fortunate enough to not suffer from migranes. If this doesn't settle I am trying massage. I sure miss my insurance package that use to cover this stuff.
© Kickas.org