Kickas.org
Posted By: ineptwill Le Vin Rouge - 01/28/12 07:40 PM
cool

Okey doke, so it is pretty well known that alcohol isn't good for the bonio's, flares are often instigated by it, but>>>>>>>>>>

I love red wine.........I was introduced to it in Canada by a worthy admin here! And I like it so much that I am
b u g g e r ed if I will give it up. so...

give with the truth here, which is your favourite of wines.......

Me, I love Merlot (oddly) I love it slightly chilled, which apparently is wrong!

Adore Rioja's, wow scrummy

And, if dessert wine is your bag.........Mig introduced me to Niagara ice wine, made from frozen fruits apparently

have only had 2 bottles cos is a long way to go to buy it but wowowowow it is just beautiful beyond words...(unlike some admins!)

so, what do you lot like?
Posted By: snowshoe Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/28/12 07:43 PM
You had to go all the way to Canada to be introduced to wine???
winedeprived
Posted By: ineptwill Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/28/12 07:46 PM
oh right, winedeprived..........errr

beerlacker

wonder if we are in wrong thread here!!!
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/28/12 09:48 PM
between all the drugs i take, metabolic syndrome, and unhappy liver, i shouldn't drink alcohol, so for me, its very little.

i cook a few dishes with wine:

a good burgundy in beef bourguignon

a good white (chablis, riesling, etc) in "drunken fish" or "tilapia in parchment paper"

my husband looks for wine that is rated but under $10, this almost always produces good results.

not a true wine i suppose, but i do like a "shot" of plum wine now and then on special occasions.

i like merlot. i like Pinot Grigio. some good wines from upstate NY, finger lakes region, near where i live. my brother brought us a bottle of peach wine from southern NJ when he came to visit, that was very good, though very sweet. my husband picks out the wine, i taste the ones he thinks are very good.

so while i really can't drink wine anymore. a taste here or there allows me the simple pleasure of a good wine.
Posted By: Carol61 Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/28/12 11:27 PM
My daughter introduced me to Brown Brother's Moscato a few years ago. They have a Moscato Rose as well (The Rose is nice) But the white Brown Brother's Moscato is to die for.(Other brands aren't as good)

I have never been a drinker. Yet alone a wine drinker. But I buy the White Moscato now when it is on special now by the 6 bottle box.It is a sweet wine. And so very easy and enjoyable to drink.

However. Even having just 2 glasses I feel the result from my lack of restraint for at least 2 days after. If I have alcohol now I am prepared to spend the next day in bed and the day after feeling very sorry for myself.

I only drink now when my daughter and my grandchildren come to visit. And only have a small glass while she is here ( she lives 5 hours away) and then we enjoy a couple of glasses the night before she leaves (and I suffer in silence after she has left)

It is so worth the suffering when I am enjoying a couple of glasses.

Cheers Carol
Posted By: mig Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 12:23 AM
I introduced you to wine, did I? laugh2 floor

Well, I used to be on SSZ so I very rarely drank alcohol of any kind at all... except for a 1/2 glass of wine a few times per year (unless pushed on me by a cheery Englishman bent on buying rounds for me and Kat, despite my repeated protestations!). tongue3

Now that I am no longer on SSZ, I treat myself occasionally to 2/3rds of a glass (!!!) of red wine, yum, and quite like a Cabernet Sauvignon, or Shiraz ... Merlot is nice too! (Occasionally now being about 1/month with dinner.)

Ice wine is lovely but Alan, cripes, it is way too sweet for you! Don't even think about ice wine! Goodness you are such a problem.

lol
Posted By: Donette Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 01:44 AM
The only kind of whine we have around here at dinner usually is courtesy of my 10 year old son:

"Broccoli again?....YUCK!"

Yours sounds much better!
Posted By: Pea Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 02:03 AM
I only liked Merlot but now due to med's I can't even have my quarterly glass. I miss it and I know it misses me.

Thats toooooo funny Donette!
Posted By: stevec Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 04:06 AM
In recent months even the wee-est sip of a nice red wine has been like lighter fluid tossed on a simmering AS fire.

When I decide to have a glass could be a Pinot Noir or Italian Barolo. Other alternative would be no dinner wine but a small ruby port afterwards.

For now though more likely a nice chilled bottle of fine H2O
Posted By: DragonSlayer Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 05:11 AM
I-will:

Although a Californian through-and-through, I'm not a wine snob like so many of my friends here--but some have lame excuses like they have wineries, so it is their business.

In truth, the proper temperature and way to serve any wine is the way You enjoy it most.

And I was never a drinker, but never refused plum wine at the end of a Japanese meal--that stuff is pretty good although it is not wine at all (sake).

I always liked Mateus Rose, despite what anyone else thought, and the wines in general vary all over the map--that is a cab grown in one area in a certain year can be more like a merlot; the "experts" are fooled just as often as we wine illiterates.

But if I were to drink anything it probably would be pinot noir but almost any merlot would do, also--REDs are always better; they can at least age.

I appreciate the tilt to Edith Piaf; according to Glen, my friend who knew her, she really liked all varieties,

John
Posted By: rumble Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 06:54 AM
Yellowtail Reisling is what I have in the pantry. Not a big fan of reds. Don't drink much, except special occasions. Prefer wine to hard liquor. Used to play spades with another couple and we occasionally did a lot of tequila shots during the games. It didn't help our playing any, but we laughed heartily about it.
Posted By: Alinus Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 08:23 AM
Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz. Maybe Pinot Noir.
and the local romanian brand Feteasca Neagra. This one i so loove smile
Posted By: ineptwill Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 03:51 PM
Thanks all. Interesting responses, not least that most of you DO suffer ill effects AS wise having had a drop.......life is unfair isn't it.

John I am with you re the knowledge base wine-wise, I know that red and white ones vary in colour but that is my limit but oh.....wow, to own a winery now that would be rather splendid

Mig my dear, I see you have cleverly substituted the word glass where 'bottle' should be!!

Yes I know the sugar and the diabetes but goodness it is a fabulous tipple.

Chilled H20 steve........well we can't get that here! Thus we use a wine substitute! Anyway the French own all of our water companies.

To extend the question, how many prefer other alcohol to wine and what

Never had Sake...........am gonna try it
Posted By: ineptwill Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 03:58 PM
welll George Bush senior refused to eat Broccoli when he became president so I can see your 10 year olds point.............ohhhh maybe that's it.......he wants to be President one day........cripes

Donnette the top mans mother..........now lets not have a decoratiing frenzy and make the oval office sort of heptagonal !
Posted By: mig Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 07:12 PM
a bottle, lol, not in the realm of possible!

Oh dear, Alan, Alan, Alan, what are we going to do with you!? The D dx = no slurping of wine/ice wine nor glomping of decadent trifles! No sugars!! Sugars are out, sugars are bad, sugars are evil - better to indulge in some tasty aged cheddar immediately!

Besides, you are silly enough! clown

hugss
Posted By: cemc Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 07:25 PM
I don't drink much wine at all - don't really like it that much, except for a few special ones - that Niagara Ice wine is absolutely wonderful! Only ever had the samples when I was there (about 8 years ago) plus one bottle brought back home, but I'd love to be able to get hold of more. I also really like Mead (from honey), and buy myself a bottle for over the christmas period. Other than that the only other wine I would ever drink would be a white zinfandel (which is actually pink?). Definitely can't handle red at all.
Posted By: Dotyisle Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 10:31 PM
Not much for wines either, the occasional 3 or 4 glasses a year. Prefer a red wine of some sort..

Argentina is starting to get more press for their wines. Even my brother will look for some up in the States.

Tim
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/29/12 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: ineptwill
To extend the question, how many prefer other alcohol to wine and what

a taste now and then of:

nut liquors (frangelico and amaretto) are my favorite
apricot brandy and other fruit brandies or snapps my second favorite

but still, only a sip now and then. when hubby has it out, he'll give me a taste
Posted By: sherri Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/30/12 04:31 AM
OH Alan....I love Merlot also.....Shiraz will do too. Chilled of course for me too !!! Cheers !!!

Sherri
Posted By: rumble Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/30/12 05:13 AM
Sue, I love cinnamon schnapps. Not so much the other versions, but peach wasn't too bad. Peppermint could strip varnish...LOL.

See earlier answer--tequila shots.

And wine should be chilled, imo.

On MTX now, very little booze is consumed.
Posted By: ineptwill Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/30/12 09:21 AM
seems Sue and rumble are secret boozers denying it to the world and then slugging back nutty liquers wow Amarretto and tequila.......thank goodness I am TETOTAL!!!!LOL
Posted By: Dow Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/30/12 09:34 AM
Wine? Know a few that might be interested in a liver treat now and then...
Posted By: Philsta Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/30/12 09:49 AM
I LOVE red wine! It's basically all I drink alcohol wise.

I am on 2000mg of sulfasalazine a day so I don't know whether I should avoid drinking because of that... some people don't drink but my doctor said that I can have a couple of drinks still.

I don't think I could give it up.. I enjoy nothing more than a glass or two of wine on my balcony, discussing controversial things like religion and politics with good friends smile

Being a Western Australian I think that we make some of the best red wine in the world, however it is mostly too expensive to drink regularly, heh.

Phil
Posted By: manatee Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/30/12 02:52 PM
I switched from beer to wine last year. Seems beer gave me more problems AS wise than a white wine. Also Magners pear cider from Ireland is really good. Had a treat over the holidays of Chocolate wine, mmmmmmmm. We only live a hour from the finger lake wine region in NY and will be spending some time there this summer so my favorites may change.

Cindy
Posted By: Pea Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/30/12 07:06 PM
Sake! After Merlot, absolutely Sake. It sneak's up on you so lovely. A pleasant surprise and I like the warmth of it but again I can have no drinky winkie's with my med's so instead I will stick with my H20 mixed with G2 Gaterade! Blah
Posted By: ineptwill Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/30/12 09:26 PM
Sake seems to be getting a good press here..........I shall seek some out this week, if indeed we have it here!

The Merlot seems a nice one for all. Tims Argentinian comment was appropriate, I enjoyed a drop of Malbec, on Saturday last..........don't know what Malbec is other than it is Argentinian and delicioso...........Had a 2007 Rioja on Sunday wow, it was gorgeous........rather like young Mig then....!

Oh and I only have the odd drop per week!!!! Loved Philsta's comment apropos, chatting, wine and putting the world to rights.....oh yes sounds so so good
Posted By: cemc Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/30/12 10:35 PM
Other than wine, I'm a cider person generally. I sometimes like a port and lemon, or very occasionally sherry, or if out one of the premixed fruity vodka drinks (alcopops).
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/30/12 11:38 PM
and don't forget the kahlua too! roll
Posted By: Dow Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 06:56 AM
We have a drinking game we play around here...whenever Mig or Alan mentions the word "clot" we all have no choice but to tip a glass of Pinot Grigio...

....hic!! tongue2
Posted By: rumble Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 06:59 AM
No kidding....an outbreak of drunkenness on KA.
Posted By: ineptwill Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 08:56 AM
Dow you too are like Mig,,,,fully clotified...

...your round..!
Posted By: ineptwill Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 08:59 AM
Have seen the alcopops, they abound here but have never tried them, had the odd whisky here and there Sue Kaluha.......urghhhhhh...........

Yes let us all forget AS a while, then we can imbibe a little, put another log on the fire, chat, condemn politicians of all parties, and then imbibe some more..........sounds good..........Now come on Mig hurry up serving the wine, and dont you take any you are staff.........and not permitted!!
Posted By: Dow Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 12:40 PM
Originally Posted By: ineptwill

oh no, he said the word "clot" AGAIN!!

I'll drink to that..bottoms up!! tongue2 hic!!
Posted By: Dotyisle Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 02:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Dow
We have a drinking game we play around here...whenever Mig or Alan mentions the word "clot" we all have no choice but to tip a glass of Pinot Grigio...

....hic!! tongue2

Sounds like some friends of mine in college.. they watched Newhart reruns and whenever someone said "Bob" they had to drink.

I think it is a toss-up if you could get more drunk between "clot" or "Bob".

Tim
Posted By: mig Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 07:11 PM
Quote:
rather like young Mig then....!

clap ohh that is better Alan - much, much better!

And to think that all I had to do was to pay you 15 loonies and beg! Totally worth it! laugh2

I am howling here!
Posted By: mig Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 07:14 PM
clot - Clot - CLOT!! floor

(Well, somebody had to do it!)
Posted By: mig Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 07:18 PM
Okay, I take that back - you are cut off Dow!

That post is making me dizzy!!!

p.s. love Minnie's smiley tail-wagging gif - lol!
Posted By: Timo Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 10:54 PM
I like to have a nice scotch every now and then. Love the peaty ones and a buddy of mine thinks I'm completely nuts.
As to local beer, we have an embarrassment of riches here because of the many, many local breweries who produce excellent varieties. One very new brewery has said they have gone back to the way the old Pilsners were made and I'm going to try them out very soon. I wonder if they age them in (hic)kory barrels?
As to wine, I've always said that price and a big name means zippideedodah. Go with what you like and enjoy.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Le Vin Rouge - 01/31/12 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Timo
As to wine, I've always said that price and a big name means zippideedodah. Go with what you like and enjoy.

if one is unfamiliar with what to get, getting something with a high rating can be very helpful, and as you said, they don't have to be a big name or expensive. we just try to find the highest / most inexpensive wine we can (find the balance between those two criteria) and they have all been quite good. and its been an excellent way to find our favorites.
Posted By: ineptwill Re: Le Vin Rouge - 02/01/12 09:14 AM
Have decided to give up wine for a month and beer and Kaluha am going to see what the other side of life is like, the sober side....................oh I was just handed a glass of Rioja..........errr well maybe I will give up next month instead then!!!

Yes Timo the peaty ones are distinctive and nice but are an acquired taste perhaps.

True Sue w get lots of cheap wines here which are really nice, sometimes the expensive ones don't seem quite worth their price.

Young Mig always has expensive ones..........has money you see...........
Posted By: rumble Re: Le Vin Rouge - 02/01/12 08:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Sue22
if one is unfamiliar with what to get, getting something with a high rating can be very helpful, and as you said, they don't have to be a big name or expensive. we just try to find the highest / most inexpensive wine we can (find the balance between those two criteria) and they have all been quite good. and its been an excellent way to find our favorites.
And if you are ever in an area with wineries, you can see if they have a tasting room where you can sample their wares. When in Hawaii, we hit a Maui winery and found some good stuff. Can't get it on the Mainland, though. There are a few wineries in OK and we hope to hit a couple of them this spring and summer. Otherwise, sometimes if you find something you like, the liquor store people may have suggestions for something that is similar. Some restaurants have featured wines that you can get by the glass.
Posted By: avonldy Re: Le Vin Rouge - 02/02/12 12:10 AM
Here in CA, we have lot of wineries and many tasting rooms. That is the best way to find something you really like.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Le Vin Rouge - 02/02/12 01:27 AM
the finger lakes region has a lot of wineries also, many with winery tours. but still too far for me to drive frown but yes, i agree that is a good way to discover new favorites smile
Posted By: Dow Re: Le Vin Rouge - 02/02/12 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: mig
clot - Clot - CLOT!! floor

(Well, somebody had to do it!)

1cup 1cup 1cup roll (Thunk!!!!) sleep tongue2
© Kickas.org