Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#518998 08/22/18 11:58 PM
M
mutagen Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
M
I recently returned to work from 10 weeks on short-term disability at the end of July. My neck and upper back pain have gradually worsened. I'm a software engineer and I'm having a tough time sitting and working on a computer. At times, I can't raise my head to look at the computer screen. I've taken multiple painkillers, anti-inflammatories, and muscle relaxants, but I'm still in too much pain to function and work. Nothing seems to work

I've been off of work for the past week and a half. I got a call from my HR department telling me that I'm nearly out of FMLA and once I'm out of FMLA and PTO that they would have no choice. HR didn't mention termination explicitly, but it was pretty clear that is what she meant. I'm always in pain and have worked with it, but when I can't take my mind off the pain, I can't deal with it.

I found it disconcerting when she said, "if you're keeping yourself from work, you should return immediately." She mentioned my boss is complaining that my absences are interfering with deadlines. I get the feeling that HR is building up a file to fire me one way or another.

What should I do? I'm running out of FMLA. I'm in pain all of the time and get exhausted frequently and miss work about 2-3 days a month.

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
Some people manage to work right up to retirement even with A.S. Personally I gave up at the age of 33. As it turned out it was the best thing I could have done. My wife worked full time and I became a "house husband". With two young children it worked out very well for me and my wife. The wife enjoyed her work and I enjoyed looking after the kids. Obviously this would not work for everyone but there must come a time for at least some when we must decide just how important work is for us.

Superior_AS_Kicker
Superior_AS_Kicker
Is it possible to get a variable desk or work station that you can rotate between sitting and standing.

Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Does your employer have STD that would kick in after the FMLA is exhausted? Then the STD would transfer to LTD, then the SSD upon approval.

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
Sorry to read about your situation... in States I was accountant and had similar issues sitting in chair most of the day and 1st week of each month (close week) meant a lot of sitting.

Agree it is hard to work when have AS pain getting in the way. I had some similar thoughts 15-20 years ago when I went through my worst with AS regarding FMLA.. when I looked into LTD I was not covered due to pre-existing condition clause.

Hope you can find some answers to the pain and some answers regarding STD/LTD. In my personal case I fortunately found some solutions to the pain and i have managed to continue working.

BTW - i now work in Argentina and work with translating SW strings.. maybe I am translating your work smile

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!